Tranmere (H) - 18 Apr 14

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Tranmere (H) - 18 Apr 14

Postby Garawa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Draws dominate the results between the clubs. There have been 14 of them (but none for 7 matches), 13 Tranmere wins and 6 Gills wins.

The 4 highest conceding Football League clubs this season are all from League 1. They are: Crewe Alexandra 78, Notts County 74, Gillingham 74, Tranmere Rovers 73, Millwall 72 and Coventry City 72.

The Gills and Tranmere have conceded more goals in the opening 10 minutes than any other League 1 clubs, 9 and 8 respectively.

Rover's 2-0 defeat at Crawley on Tuesday ended a run of 2 wins and a draw. It was their 4th defeat from 5 on their travels.

Ryan Lowe, the visitor's top scorer with 20 goals, plays after missing Tuesday. Koumas and Robinson are the next top scorers with 4.

Rovers conceded the first goal in 14 of their 21 away games drawing 2 and losing 12. They scored first in the other 7 and saw 6 wins and a draw.
The Gills have won 8 and lost 1 of the 12 home matches they scored first in but won 1 and lost 7 of the 9 home games they conceded first in.

Tranmere have only managed to score 2 goals in the opening half hour of their 21 away matches this season. The Gills have scored 10 at home in the same period.

Rovers have led for the shortest length of time overall in the league and have also been behind for the longest period as well.

Until Craig Fagan's consolation against Leyton Orient, the Gills had conceded the last 9 goals in a row.

Tranmere have had the least shots on target of any League 1 side, 128 before today 10 behind the next side Carlisle.

Before today the visitors had given away 74 fewer fouls than the Gills but collected 30 more yellow cards (the second highest in the league).

A win today would see the Gills 3rd double of the season. 4 sides have done the double over us (Colchester, Orient, Oldham and Rotherham).

Tranmere are one of two sides yet to score 3 or 4 goals in the league away from home but have however scored 5 in a 5-1 win at Coventry.

The Gills have yet to witness a 0-0 this season whilst Tranmere have yet to participate in one in an away game.

Should the Gills suffer defeat it would be the first time we have lost 4 league games in a row for over 2 years (Feb 2012) and the first time 3 home league losses have occurred since Sept 2005.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:47
Half-time: 0-0

4:28
After missing 16 matches through injury, Danny Kedwell returns on as a sub for Akinfenwa.

4:36
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Tranmere: Dack

Tranmere have conceded first in the league more times than any other side (28 out of 43). They ended up winning 1 and drawing 6 of them.

4:51
GOAL! Gillingham 2-0 Tranmere: McDonald

4:53
FULL-TIME: 2-0
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Tranmere (H) - 18 Apr 14

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Thank the Lord! How nerve wracking was that? A wonderful goal from Dack and a bonus goal from Cody. That makes us virtually safe but it is now time for those running the club to think about next season otherwise we will have exactly the same situation to worry about. Today was just about three points but we made hard work of it against a fairly average opposition. Good to see Kedwell back and making an impact, Hessy and Dack look good for the future, Weston played well and Nelson is the best keeper we have had for a while. Legge has more good games than bad, Beyo is a handful and Cody scores important goals but the rest? Are they good enough for another year? It's time to plan now - let's not leave it until June!
lidbid46

Re: Tranmere (H) - 18 Apr 14

Postby Garawa » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:19 pm

I agree, although these games we often end up losing so we have got to think that was a decent performance. I worry about Cody, I think we might need a more accomplished striker capable of 20+ goals so what that means for him or using Kedwell etc I don't know. Personally, either Kedwell would be the support striker (only alternative is a midfield role) plus a more prolific striker would leave Cody as back-up. Maybe not too bad considering Birchall and German would probably be on their way.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Match Discussions