[ 26 Apr 22 ] Fleetwood Town v Sheffield Wed Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

[ 26 Apr 22 ] Fleetwood Town v Sheffield Wed Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:20 pm

- Fleetwood and Sheffield Wednesday had never met before this season. The reverse fixture was played all the way back in August when Sheffield Wednesday ran out 1-0 winners at Hillsborough.
- Both sides have very recently drawn 0-0 at Priestfield. For Wednesday, it came during their last 5 away games in which they have won only once. For Fleetwood, it left them 2 unbeaten on the road after losing 4 in a row at the end of an 8 game winless run including 6 defeats.
- Fleetwood have won just 1 of their last 19 league games and are winless in 9 at home, losing 2 of the last 3.
- Sheffield Wednesday dropped out of the play-offs in their last game with a defeat at Wycombe, their first defeat in 9 matches.

(19.46) Kick Off at Rotherham
(19.47) Kick Off at Sunderland

(19.49) GOAL! Fleetwood Town 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday: Gregory

(20.04) GOAL! Fleetwood Town 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday: Camps

(20.08) Key Goal! Sunderland 0-1 Rotherham United.

(20.20) GOAL! Fleetwood Town 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday: Garner

(20.22) Somehow Sheffield Wednesday fail to equalise. A chip to the far post comes back off the post before a fierce drive across goal is somehow hacked off the line. Then the rebound is hooked wide of the goal!

(20.32) Key Goal! Portsmouth 0-2 Wigan. Wigan are 3 points ahead meaning the Gills opponents Rotherham will have to win on Saturday to be crowned champions.

(20.33) Half time at Fleetwood 2-1
(20.36) Half time at Sunderland 0-1

(20.48) The second half kicks off at Fleetwood.
(20.52) The second half kicks off at Sunderland.

(21.13) Key Goal! Portsmouth 2-2 Wigan.

(21.16) GOAL! Fleetwood Town 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday: Gregory

(21.17) GOAL! Fleetwood Town 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday: Gregory

(21.35) Key Goal! Sunderland 1-1 Rotherham United
(21.37) Key Goal! Portsmouth 3-2 Wigan.

(21.41) FULL TIME: Fleetwood Town 2-3 Sheffield Wednesday.
(21.44) FULL TIME: Sunderland 1-1 Rotherham United.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 26 Apr 22 ] Fleetwood Town v Sheffield Wed Match Threa

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Two quick goals condemn Fleetwood to defeat meaning that we go into the final game level on points with Fleetwood who travel to Bolton. Wigan lost a 2-goal lead to lose 3-2 and are now 2 points ahead of the Gills' next opponents Rotherham who conceded a late equaliser against Sunderland.

The Gills can survive with a draw on Saturday if Fleetwood lose. More likely the Gills will need a win to be sure and could condemn Morecambe to the drop instead if they fail to beat Sunderland at home. The Gills will be seeking to win against Rotherham who must also win to be crowned champions and ensure they are not pipped to the final automatic promotion spot by MK Dons.

It's going to be a heck of a Saturday - KICK OFF 12:30.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 26 Apr 22 ] Fleetwood Town v Sheffield Wed Match Threa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am

I think your missing the team that might well push Gillingham into the 4th Division, it's Wimbledon. They are playing Stanley at home and 3 points there and none for the Gills will see them safe because of their better GD . Fleetwood at Bolton, interesting I am sure Bolton would rather travel the 40 miles to Fleetwood next year than the 500 mile round trip to Gillingham ?
I hope we get a big turn out for this game, I just hope that the stadium will not be quiet and half empty by the 60th minute when were down 3 or 4 nil .I don't think we could have a worse team to play on the last day of the season, MK Dons have a tough one at Plymouth, both need a win, so that could end in a draw. I would guess Wigan are going to cruise past the Shrews, and lets be honest Rotherham must be licking their chops as they head south. Amazingly the top spot could be decided on GD, and at kick off time both the top two are sitting with a GD of 35, which is the same as the number of goals the Gills have scored this season.
What do you do if your Harris, put 11 players on the goal line and defend like we did at Sunderland, pray for a point ? We know can't score, we are the worst in the division .
How could this idiot Scally let us get into this position, I guess because he just doesn't care.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions