[ 22 Jan 22 ] Wigan v Gills Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm

Pontus Dahlberg
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Olly Lee
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
No votes
Mustapha Carayol (45a)
No votes
Danny Lloyd-McGoldrick (45b)
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(45a) Charlie Kelman
No votes
(45b) Ben Reeves (78)
No votes
(78) John Akinde
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 22 Jan 22 ] Wigan v Gills Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 pm

- The Gills and Wigan have each won 16 meetings with a further 7 ending in draws and only 1 of them have occurred in the last 16 meetings.
- The Gills won their last trip to Wigan last season which ended a sequence of 6 defeats from their 6 previous visits (4 with a blank sheet).
- Wigan last lost a match back in October (at home to Lincoln). Since then, in all competitions, Wigan are unbeaten in 16 games and have won their last 5.
- Away from home, Wigan have won 10 and drawn 1 of their last 11 league games since losing on the opening day of the season. At home, they are unbeaten in 3 after losing 3 in a row.
- The Gills have faced the most shots on target in the division (135) whilst Wigan have faced the fewest (61). The Gills managed 5 against Burton after taking just 7 in the 5 games before combined.
- Wigan are the only side to have scored in every one of their League 1 matches this season. They have scored 19 goals in their previous 9 games, the same total as the Gills have scored in all of their 25 games.
- Wigan have both scored the most second half goals (29) in League 1 and conceded the fewest second half goals (10) in League 1. The Gills have managed to score just 6 second half goals this season (including 1 from the last 11 games) and have conceded 8 in 5 games.

(15.01) Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 4 - 1 ]
Wigan haven't lost since 26th October in all competitions (11 wins, 5 draws). The Gills haven't won since 19th October in all competitions (5 draws, 9 defeats). Coupon buster???

(15.09) Good strike for Wigan is pushed away by Dahlberg and out for a throw.

(15.10) GOAL! Wigan Athletic 1-0 Gillingham: Keane

(15.11) Wigan steal the ball and storm into the box but a ball across the box for a simple tap-in has no Wigan players waiting.

(15.14) A Wigan header strikes the top of the bar and out for a goal kick.

(15.23) GOAL! Wigan Athletic 2-0 Gillingham: Humphreys

(15.29) Dahlberg makes a good save to push the shot on to the post and out for a corner.

(15.37) Dahlberg goes to ground to stop an attack. With the goal gaping, somehow Ehmer heads high to head an effort off the line.

(15.47) Half time 2-0

(16.04) The second half kicks off.

(16.12) GOAL! Wigan Athletic 2-1 Gillingham: Reeves

(16.20) When almost certain to score from a free header, Dahlberg claws Whatmough's shot off the line.

(16.28) Oliver gets through into the box and there's contact from the 'keeper but no foul is awarded.

(16.29) GOAL! Wigan Athletic 2-2 Gillingham: O'Keefe

(16.36) GOAL! Wigan Athletic 3-2 Gillingham: Keane

(16.46) Akinde flicks the ball on. It falls to O'Keefe but with the goal at his mercy, drives the shot over the bar.

(16.51) Dahlberg is called upon again to stop a fierce Wigan shot but the whistle goes for a Gills free kick.

(16.56) FULL TIME 3-2

Attendance: 9,359 (196)
Position: 24th
Referee: Carl Boyeson
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvnNIUY8NbA
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60005795
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 22 Jan 22 ] Wigan v Gills Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:13 pm

Fourth Division Football, MAKEWAY,MAKEWAY here come the Gills. YOU sad sack of s*** Scally. WWOOOW HHOOOO well done Scally for bringing Reeves in, what a guy that Scally is,GO GILLS, lets get at least a point. FORGET A POINT TWO,TWO,TWO, lets go Gills. I take it all back, were bottom of the table 10 points back and doomed,Scally you really are a bag of ****.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:48 pm

Wigan haven't lost since 26th October in all competitions (11 wins, 5 draws). The Gills haven't won since 19th October in all competitions (5 draws, 9 defeats). Coupon buster???

Nope. Wigan go top, Gills go bottom.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:06 am

One person is to blame for the fact we now need to win 4 games without the teams above us getting a single point, just to avoid the drop. Scally and only Scally is to blame for the mess GFC are in. His dumb ass got the club into a position where they can not bring players in, because the greedy bastard didn't want to turn his books in like the other 89 clubs did. He stupidly allowed Evans to bring in 15 midfield players instead of 7 midfield, a couple of defenders and a half a dozen forwards over the past couple of years , and he kept Evans around about two months to long ,although I am extremely disappointed with Evans, I think he took Scallys kindness for a weakness.
I don't understand why the Gills don't go after an assistant coach at one of the big clubs,, I read today that there only making 40 to 50K a year, you would think the offensive or defensive coach at somewhere like Wolves or Palace would walk to Gillingham for an interview for the Managers job where he would be earning over a 100K pa ,after all his chances of becoming a manager at the club he is at is non existent I have always said we need a GM to control the Manager (Scally obviously isn't the person to do that.) stop the Manager from doing stupid things like buying 20 midfield players.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions