[ 6 Nov 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (FA Cup R1)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Aaron Chapman
No votes
Ryan Jackson (80)
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Rhys Bennett (72)
No votes
Robbie McKenzie (56)
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Daniel Adshead (45)
No votes
Ben Reeves
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
No votes
Danny Lloyd
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(45) Gerald Sithole
No votes
(56) Bailey Akehurst
No votes
(72) John Akinde
No votes
(80) Harvey Lintott
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 6 Nov 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (FA Cup R1)

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:51 pm

- This is game 252 for the Gills in the FA Cup in their 101st season in the main rounds. They have won 54 of their 127 Round 1 ties and lost 41. At Priestfield, they have won 36 and lost 16 of the 65 ties.
- The Gills last started an FA Cup campaign at home to a side in the same division when they hosted Bristol City in 2014 - a 1-2 defeat (only progressing in 2019 against Sunderland thanks to a replay). The Gills home record when facing same league opposition at home is W7, D3, L4.
- The home defeat by Bristol City in 2014 is the Gills only home loss in Round 1 of the FA Cup since losing at home to Dover in 2010. The other 8 home ties have seen 5 wins and 3 draws.
- The Gills have progressed to Round 2 in each of the last 4 seasons after winning by 1 goal in the deciding game. The Gills failed to progress in the 4 seasons before them with 2 exits coming via the feet of Brackley Town.
- The Gills have already been knocked out of the League Cup at home to Cheltenham this season. They have faced the visitors in the FA Cup once before, progressing from Round 1 at Priestfield in 1999 following a replay.
- Cheltenham are winless in 4 games in all competitions and they have drawn the last 3. They have won 2 of their last 11 whilst the Gills have 2 wins in their last 13.

(14.04) Kick Off [ 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 ]

(14.25) Lloyd has a great chance to score but drags his shot just wide.

(14.37) GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Cheltenham Town: Pollock.

(14.50) Oliver stretches for a cross but is just unable to deflect the ball in.

(14.53) Half time

(15.09) The second half kicks off.

(15.12) Jackson appears to have kicked an opponent off the ball but it hasn't been spotted by the officials. Cheltenham are furious as he escapes a red card.

(15.19) McKenzie is fouled badly but no red card is given. McKenzie limps off and cannot continue.

(15.23) GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Cheltenham Town: Sithole

(15.24) Sithole drives between the defence, pulls a ball back for Oliver but his shot deflects over for a corner.

(15.55) Akehurst strikes a shot agonisingly wide of the post.

(15.57) Gills piling on the pressure and Lloyd sees an effort blocked.

(15.59) FULL TIME 1-1

Attendance:
Referee: Ollie Yates
Match highlights:
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59180028
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 6 Nov 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (FA Cup R1)

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:42 am

I'm actually attending my first game since before lock down this afternoon. I'm in a hospitality box, (long story), but am looking forward to watching a scintillating Gills performance! COYGs!!
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:41 pm

I'm desperate to go and also haven't been since lockdown due to events happening during home games and spending weekends completely renovating our house. Current wars between the Scally out and Scally in brigades haven't helped urge things along much. Have a great game and let us know what the atmosphere is like albeit a much smaller crowd. I look forward to getting to a game probably in the new year.

Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Well, I actually really enjoyed the afternoon! I have to say, having spent years in the terraces in the RE, being in a box was weird but I think it's the way forward! Beer on tap, lovely food at half time, even for us veggies, private loo and a parking space in the car park, not to mention the padded seat with loads of leg room make it a comfortable experience. And when you remember how cold it gets at Priestfields, the chance to pop inside and watch through the window is almost irresistible! Yes, I did miss being amongst the singers, but I think my days of chant leading probably left me on the 3rd November when I turned 65.
As for the game, I actually thought Gills played quite well. The strong wind and disruptions with several injuries made it difficult, but the commitment was obvious and the players definitely wanted to perform. I couldn't really see what happened with Cheltenham's goal, but we were worth an equaliser which was expertly taken by Sithole and we could have easily won it in the final few minutes. Evans was his usually clownish self but all in all I thought we did well.
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:32 am

How the rich and powerful live, a box, cold champagne , all the food you could eat, and you can go inside if it gets cold on the balcony, how fantastic was that,probably almost on par to scoring a 100 and bowling out three with your googlys for Kent , you Sir a true Kentish Man,or a Man of Kent, and I salute you. BUT of course all good things come at a price, a high price it would seem in your case. Two things happened in that game today, two of the most important things that happened in the 90 minutes of that game , they scored and we scored, and you chugging back Babycham by the litre, prawn cocktails by the bucket load, what else did you have ,caviar by the spoonful, or was it the ladle full , and rubbing shoulders with The Scally, you missed 50% of the goals scored.
Unforgivable,totally unforgivable, and when you were seen waving to poor Mrs. L sitting in the stands in the cold , with just a cuppa, a bag of chips (crisps),and that bottle of vodka she smuggles in to all home games hidden where no one knows ,didn't you feel at all guilty ,just a tiny, tiny bit guilty ? You Sir have become a cad, and by the way Happy Birthday and congratulations on making it to 65.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:19 pm

Yes, very happy special birthday but your 66th probably won't get you a box unless you plan on helping those out who want Mr S to sell up!

Garawa

Return to Match Discussions