[ 29 Feb 20 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Jack Bonham
100%
Barry Fuller
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Alfie Jones [2]
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Tom O'Connor [3]
No votes
Olly Lee [1]
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
No votes
John Akinde
No votes
[1] Jordan Graham
No votes
[2] Matty Willock
No votes
[3] Regan Charles-Cook
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 29 Feb 20 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:40 pm

- The Gills have won 2 matches against AFC Wimbledon but have yet to win at home against them. The last 5 home meetings have ended 0-1, 2-2, 2-2, 2-2 and 3-4.
- The Gills have won 4 of their last 6 and are unbeaten in the league (15 games) since losing in the reverse fixture against AFC Wimbledon. The visitors have 1 league win in 11 games and are winless in 7 games (3 defeats).
- Since a 4-1 win Southend, AFC Wimbledon have won 1 of their last 11 away games (a 2-1 win at Bristol Rovers). The Gills are unbeaten in 8 home league games (6 wins).
- AFC Wimbledon are the only side yet to keep a clean sheet on their travels this season. Since a 0-0 draw on the final day of last season, they have since played 18 away games in all competitions without a clean sheet and have conceded 38 goals in them.
- AFC Wimbledon have conceded 11 goals in their last 4 away games, the last being a 0-5 loss at Oxford, and have conceded 7 goals in their last 4 games. The Gills have conceded 3 goals in their last 4 home games and 3 in 6 home and away.
- AFC Wimbledon have faced 183 league shots on target, 71 fewer than the Gills, and only Southend (184) have faced more shots. They have faced 483 in total, 134 more than the Gills, and have faced 74 more shots on goal than they have taken.

15.04 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]
AFC Wimbledon start with former Gills O'Neill, Wagstaff, Reilly and Pigott.

AFC Wimbledon's Joe Pigott chips Bonham but Max Ehmer acrobatically hacks the ball off the line.

Big save from Bonham who, after a good pass from O'Neill, blocks a Wagstaff shot before Pigott sees his effort blocked.

15.51 Half time 0-0 (47:00)

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 AFC Wimbledon: Pigott
The Gills and AFC Wimbledon have identical records in the league this season when conceding first at home / scoring first away respectively: Won 1, Drawn 2 and Lost 3.

O'Connor goes down inside the box but nothing is given.

Pigott, with a tap in, puts the ball over from 6 yards.

Moments after being booked, O'Neill pulls the shirt of Charles-Cook and pulls him to the ground. The referee decides no card is needed.

Max Ehmer is forced off with a shoulder injury leaving the Gills with 10 men and a throw in.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 AFC Wimbledon: Charles-Cook
The throw in is taken, the ball comes into the box and Charles-Cook scores after the keeper initially makes a good save.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 AFC Wimbledon: Reilly
Bonham makes two fantastic saves but is powerless to stop the follow-up.

Great save by AFC Wimbledon keeper 8 minutes into added time.

17.03 FULL TIME 1-2 (100:44)

Attendance: 4,893 (653)
Position: 11th
Referee: John Busby
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p2r2YGCXYQ
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51548023
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 29 Feb 20 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 pm

This is the last of what after a couple of beers I would call one of the " easier " games of the season, we messed up against Lincoln who were there for the plucking,only got one point when with their record we should have been able to waltz away with three , and now the Wombles come to town, a team that loses to Stanley, gets thumped by Oxford ,yet hold Ipswich,and Rotherham to draws.
Don't think we can rely on the teams around us to help much this week,Portsmouth had 23 shots on goal and are up to third,it was only a few weeks ago we were neck and neck with them down in about 17th place in the table, and Fleetwood not playing this weekend ? Oxford will probably knock in three or four against Sarfend,I guess Burton and Pt"boro could play to a draw, as could Coventry and Sunderland,and with a bit of luck Blackpool might rise to the occasion and do something special against Ipswich which would be nice for us, but basically from here on in it's up to Evans and the Gills to do it all on there old lonesomes, which means coming out fired up and ready to play, which seems to be something were not able to do all the time. GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:22 pm

All unbeaten runs end sometime but that's a poor result against a pretty dreadful side. Match stats don't suggest we were unlucky but will wait to read eye-witness accounts of the disaster !
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:10 am

Thats it,all over, get your seats for Gillingham FC 20/21 Division One games ,Scally will need the money for his summer vacation so I guess they will be pretty cheap compared with what they would have been if we actually had made a run at a play off spot.
So whats the betting going to be,will Evans be here next year or will a Championship side who have struggled this season come knocking on the door ?
What a pathetic showing the last three games have been, Southend, Lincoln and Wimbledon, three teams that can't scatch there asses and pick there noses at the same time, and we managed to score two goals, think I might just bury my head in the sand next weekend, Sunderland could score at hatfull against us.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:11 am

It didn't sound a good game. Ehmer going off changed things a lot as, seconds later, we scored then as we pushed for a winner, we were caught out. We just cannot beat Wimbledon and always seem to play badly or have atrocious luck against them.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 pm

I guess I find it hard to understand how a team with ten or so games to go and only four or five points out of a play off spot can not come out fired up and ready to go, especially against teams like Southend, Lincoln and Wimbledon . Nine points from those games and we would today be sitting one point off of a top six spot, and with teams like Ipswich, Doncaster and P'Bro not doing a lot,it would have been great to see us up there fighting for a spot in the playoffs. In the last three games we have had 6 shots on target, and scored 2 goals, guess it isn't hard to see why were not going to be in the playoffs this year.
Maybe some of the players realize they are not good enough to play against the likes of WBA , Leeds, Millwall , Forest or whoever , and they would be playing for Dover or Ebbsfleet next year, so there not trying to hard, just cruising for another decent First Division pay day next year ?
I am so disappointed that we have not got ourselves into a position to have at least a couple of games after the regular season ends, Go Gills, hell ,what the, do what you want I don't care.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Disappointed in our performance,especially in the first half.The conditions were bad for both teams,but Wimbledon were first to the ball more often than not,especially their winner when they had three chances at it.The ref was terrible,but we put in a poor performance.We looked better when Graham and Charles Cook came on.When Cook scored I thought we may nick a draw,but poor defending cost us at the end.The unbeaten run had to end against the Team that last beat us.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions