[ 4 Mar 17 ] Bury v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Stuart Nelson
67%
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Zesh Rehman
33%
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Joe Quigley
No votes
Mitchell Dickenson
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 4 Mar 17 ] Bury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 pm

- The Gills now edge the wins 22 to 21 (10 draws) after winning the last 3 against Bury and are unbeaten in 4 since the 5-4 loss at Gigg Lane.
- Bury had a 20 game win-less run in all competitions this season (2 runs of 7 consecutive defeats were broken by 2 cup draws) but they have lost only 1 out of 9 since.
- James Vaughan failed to score in 10 of his first 14 games when Bury were doing well, scoring 6 in total. Since then he has 13 goals from his last 15 (9 goals in 7) and another would take him to 20 for the season.
- 57 goals have been scored in league games at Gigg Lane and 115 in all of Bury's league matches, both the highest totals in League 1.
- The Gills have conceded 38 away league goals whilst Bury have conceded 62 league goals in total, both figures being the highest in League 1.
- Bury were 2nd in the league after beating MK Dons 3-1 away. 12 consecutive defeats later they were 22nd. They have since won 4 of their last 5.
- Bury have the joint highest number of home defeats in the league (8) and 7 of them came in a row before their current home unbeaten run of 5.
- The Gills have conceded 3, 4 or 5 goals in 4 league games. Bury have done so in 11 with 5 of their 17 home games seeing 3+ goals conceded.

3.02 Kick-Off [ 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 ]

GOAL! Bury 0-1 Gillingham: Dack
Bury score more first half goals than any other League 1 side (28) but only scored the first goal in 1 more game (17) than they conceded it

Bury have lost the most games (6) in League 1 after scoring first (9 wins). They have won 2 and lost 11 out of 15 after conceding first.

3.52 Half-time 0-1 (49:19)
The Gills have lost both their 2 league games in which they led away at half-time.

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Bury 0-2 Gillingham: McDonald

Nelson tips a shot onto the post.

Gills survive a penalty shout after Osadebe pulls back the shirt of Miller but doesn't give it.

GOAL! Bury 1-2 Gillingham: Vaughan
James Vaughan gets his 20th goal of the season. All have come in League 1 and from 27 appearances. Billy Sharpe is top with 24.

Zesh Rehman has an effort cleared off the line!

Bury have an effort clear off the post.

4.58 FULL-TIME: 1-2 (99:33)

Position: 17th
Attendance: 3,203 (199)
Referee: Darren Drysdale
Goal Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstu2qRPk2U&t=7s
BBC Sport Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39086381
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 4 Mar 17 ] Bury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:07 pm

I`m making the trip North,it will be my first time at Gigg Lane.They have had some good recent results lately,and Lee Clark has started well there.I`m not expecting much from the game,and would take a draw.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 am

I saw us beat the s**t out of Bury the night they turned the flood lights on back like a century ago. We won , we won ,I clung onto the floodlights on the northwest corner of the ground watching the Rainham end fans go crazy, oh God I had so many dreams of us playing the giants of the game when we made it to the Big Time in a couple of years, playing West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs, it was just around the corner.
Here we are 50 years later and were still playing Bury, and were still in the 3rd division, and we never,ever,ever made it to the Big Time,just a couple of years in the almost big time, and people actually wonder why kids in 2017, support Chelsea, Manchester City, Barca, PSG and anyone of 50 other teams they can see playing in front of 50,000 people on the tv in the comfort of their home, not sitting in the stands on a wet cold afternoon along with maybe 5,000,other people and an owner who is so spineless he can not go to the bank borrow a few million quid and get us into the Big Time, oh God what a waste of 55 years ,thanks for nothing Skippy Scally, what a waste of time you have been you spineless wonder.
Yeah you saved us from going under a few years back and we thank you for that, but that was sssooooo , ssssooo long ago, but thanks anyway. Lets look at Maidstone they were dead and buried a few years back , relegated to the depths of the end of the earth and now there looking at knocking on the door of the 2nd division, maybe this year or next they might make it and who looks as if they will be there waiting for them , GFC ,were 3 points off of the red line and the drop , do you realize that, or don't you care ?
Time to sell GFC Mr. Scally ,please sell GFC to someone that cares about the Gills someone that wants to see GFC in at least the Championship Division if not the Prem.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 am

Agree with every word of that. Saw my first gfc game in 1958 and have lived with diminishing hope or expectation ever since Scally sacked Pulis and showed that personal ego and income are his only motivation.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 am

Maidstone were in the relegation zone of the conference before their win on Tuesday. Not sure they are "knocking on the door of the 2nd division"?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Oh give me a break,I bet you a million bucks they get into the second division before GFC get into the Premier Division, infact I bet you they get into the second division before GFC gets in to the Championship , then we will probably have all Kent teams playing local derbys with Dover, Maidstone, and Gillingham and probably Bromley (is that still in Kent) all playing in the Second Division.
Look at Maidstone they were playing Gillingham in 1992,before they were relegated SEVEN DIVISIONS to the very basement of the football pyramid, flat broke,no team, no ground NUFFING and in only 20++ years they have climbed up to being one division off being where they were in 1992,playing new teams every couple of years not the same old same old teams we play.
Now what have GFC done apart from playing Port Vale 300 times in that period ? Yes we went to Wembley a couple of times which was great and we played in the almost Big Boy Division for what was it 3 years, and since then we have done very ,very little, relegation after relegation , and a couple of promotions,and I am sure we must have won the Kent Cup, at least that will have pleased Ms Fanny Mulligan, but we have been ticking along still the laughing stock of the division with that stupid scaffolding stand for away supporters.
We have had about 20 managers in the time it took Maidstone to come back to knocking on the Leagues front door,thats all ways fun,at least we get the chance to bet every few months on who the next manager will be,and everyone one of them says the players are all underachievers , when in reality there just crap players who only give a dam about picking up a pay check each week, hell we could not even sell the only player everyone said was good this summer, he was so good no one came knocking on the door to sign him.
And before anyone says well you don't even get to games ,or go and support Maidstone then, remember there are 60,000 plus other people in the Medway towns that don't go to see the Gills, or though 30,000 of them went to Wembley as Gillingham FANS the couple of times we went there in the play offs.
I am just so tired of the owner of GFC not giving a f*** about the Gills and always falling back on the old,old,story of I saved Gillingham FC from going under,yeah well what have you done for us lately ??
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 am

THREE POINTS in the bag and were 6 away from the red line, well done Gillingham. Now Mr Manager PLEASE can you spend the next five days getting it through yours and the teams head that were playing Scunny, Bolton and Rochdale and a goal in the 14th minute and not another shot till the 47th minute ,and 5 shots against there 24, is very unlikely to cut it in the next two weeks, but anyway well done the boys, three very very welcome points in the bag today and 22 fouls without a card being shown, guess someone paid the old ref off today.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 pm

I thought we battled well to a massive three points.Defensively we gave Bury plenty of opportunities to score,but we took our chances and they didn't.Poor finishing from Bury in the first half stopped them having a couple at halftime.Vaughan surprisingly fired wide from close range,and Leigh's shot just missed the post as it Went across the goal.Our best chance in the first half was our goal.Martin found Dack's out wide who then fired into the bottom corner.The start of the second half was perfect as Cody headed in Dack's well delivered corner.From then on we got too deep and they put a lot of pressure on.Nelson deflected a shot onto the post,The then hit the other post before Vaughan scored a brilliant overhead kick to pull a goal back.We nearly made it 3-1 when Rehman's touch was cleared on the line.From then on they threw everything at us,but luckily the defence stood strong.

I have to praise Michell Dickinson who made his league debut,and he looked like he had 200 appearances in him.He looked assured and with help from Rehman saw the game out well.When I left at 6am I wasn't expecting much,so to get three vital points made the journey worth it.Our last away win before was Walsall away which I was at,so any funds to sponsor my attendance is welcomed ??
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:39 pm

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/bury-gillingham-match-report-121640/

Bury 1 - 2 Gillingham - Match Report.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/bury-gillingham-ady-pennock-reaction-121641/

Head coach Ady Pennock described Saturday’s win as ‘massive’.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/gillingham/10790683/bury-1-2-gillingham

Bury 1 - 2 Gillingham - Highlights.

https://twitter.com/nickbull21/status/838025545040416769

Mary Bryne apparently played for Gillingham on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/KentOnlineGills/status/838059289709260800

The 199 Gillingham Supporters in The Away End On Saturday.

https://twitter.com/HaydnParry/status/838058244446777348

https://twitter.com/HaydnParry/status/838064193437896704

Bradley Dack and Cody McDonald are moving up on Gillingham's All Time Goal-Scorers List - how we can do with these two in goal-scoring form between now and the rest of the season.

https://twitter.com/GillsInTheBlood/status/838410865279913985

Bradley Dack made The League One Team Of The Week.

https://twitter.com/EFL/status/838755481791397888

Bradley Dack also made The Football League Team Of The Week.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions