[ 19 Nov 16 ] Walsall v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Baily Cargill
100%
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanual Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 19 Nov 16 ] Walsall v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:54 pm

The Gills last win against Walsall was back in September 2007. It was the 45th win against Walsall who had won 43 of the 111 ties themselves.

The Gills win-less run against Walsall extends to 10 games. 7 of the last 9 meetings between the sides had seen the match end in a draw.

Walsall are unbeaten in the league over the last 6 games, breaking a sequence of just 1 win in 9 that took them 5 pts behind the Gills in 20th.

3.02 Kick-Off (4 - 3 - 3)

GOAL! Walsall 0-1 Gillingham: McDonald
Walsall are unbeaten in 9 league games (5 wins) after scoring first but are winless in 6 (4 defeats) when conceding first.

GOAL! Wasall 1-1 Gillingham: McCarthy

Baily Cargill clears off the line.

3.49 Half time: 1-1 (47:02)
The Gills have previously only been behind at half time in an away league game once (ending with defeat)! The two that were level saw a win and a defeat.

The second half kicks off. The Gills have scored 15 second half goals (62.5% of their league goals) but Walsall have only scored 7 (33.3%).

GOAL! Walsall 1-2 Gillingham: Ehmer

Baily Cargill joins his Bournemouth team mate Joe Quigley on 3 Gills wins from 3 games, the best totals of any player this season.

4.54 FULL-TIME 1-2 (95:02)

Position: 15th
Attendance: 5,420 (318)
Referee: John Busby
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 19 Nov 16 ] Walsall v GILLS Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Perhaps we should just surrender now and not bother turning up!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:55 am

Well Walsall are thankfully not Scunny, so thats a start, although their home record is pretty good and our away record is............................
Maybe if we can come away with a point we could consider it a moral victory ??
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:42 pm

The way things are going aa corner would be considered victory
CadburyMan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 pm

I will be making my first trip to Walsall tomorrow.I`m not feeling too confident after Wednesday,but i`m hoping to see a response.We only have the league to concentrate on now,so need to start picking points up more regularly.I hope we have worked on lots of defending since Brackley!

Team? Cargill will surely come in for Oshilaja,and Konchesky in for the injured Garmston.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Well isn't that just the beauty of being a Gills fan! Hardly anyone thought we would win today, especially following the midweek debacle so what happens; we win of course! Sounds like Walsall were all over us but we snatched yet another late winner. Have we finally turned a corner? How would anyone know with this Gills team? We could go on and win the league or we could end up being relegated!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:00 am

OH NO, here we go again, now Scally will think Glasgow is the best thing since sliced bread. Thank you the Gods of football, thank you very F' ING much.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm

I wasn't expecting much after the Brackley defeat on Wednesday.We started really brightly,Dack's early ball in had a few blocks then Cody heads the ball over their keeps head.1-0 in just over a minute,great start.We looked comfortable on the ball,then out of nothing they equalised which should not have been given.Their player handles clearly then hits it passed Nelson.With the bad luck and poor goals we have been conceding,it was frustrating to concede through a blatant hand ball.Walsall were then in the game and should have gone in ahead.They had a shot that was just going over the line,but Cargill got back brilliantly to stop it going in.The second half it was all Walsall the dangerous Oztumer who dictated play had a couple of shots go wide,they had quite a few corners that were cleared away at the last moment,or just past the post.The ball kept coming back to us so it felt like only a matter of time before they scored.A rare chance lead to the winner in the 84th minute when Dack was fouled just outside the box.JET stepped up and his shot deflected off Ehmer to go in.The away end went mental and we had an undeserved lead.

I had only just spoke to FOM,and said we will smash and grab this! JET is claiming the goal,but I think the deflection fooled their keeper a bit.We had the lead but we had to hang on for 10+ minutes which felt like 30 minutes.We dug in and held on for a massive much needed win.The away end went mental,we had been singing non stop throughout the game.The players very jubilant,Wright looked like he was going to explode,Cody had a big smile and kept tapping the badge,and Nelson shouted and punched his fist.

2 league wins in a row,if only we could forget Brackley it would have been a good week.I do hope we will turn a corner now,and Edinburgh can get out of the position he is in.I like him and want him to succeed.It has been hard lately for most fans to see it happening,I hope it does.You don't want to see managers sacked.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:59 pm

What do you mean you don't want to see managers fired, who gives two hoots if a screw up like Edinburgh gets fired, your not a family member of his are you lol ?
He blew last season when we were in line for at least a crack at promotion, and he is doing a great job of screwing up this season. A " lucky goal " at the end of the game gave us the points yesterday, up until then he has done NOTHING in his time at GFC but ruin what was a promotion contending team and turned them into a team that are sitting in a dangerous position a few points off the relegation zone.
Thank God for Chesterfield and Shrewsbury, ( both who could be relegated by the end of January the way they are going, ) with out them we could be in real trouble, two loses and we could be back on the edge of the red zone.
Why Scally did not pull the trigger after the FA Cup debacle last week I do not know ? I guess he is hoping we end up a middle of the table team and he he won't have to pay two managers if he fires J E .
Ho hum another wasted season for GFC, I can not imagine why I would should expect anything else ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:31 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:What do you mean you don't want to see managers fired, who gives two hoots if a screw up like Edinburgh gets fired, your not a family member of his are you lol ?
He blew last season when we were in line for at least a crack at promotion, and he is doing a great job of screwing up this season. A " lucky goal " at the end of the game gave us the points yesterday, up until then he has done NOTHING in his time at GFC but ruin what was a promotion contending team and turned them into a team that are sitting in a dangerous position a few points off the relegation zone.
Thank God for Chesterfield and Shrewsbury, ( both who could be relegated by the end of January the way they are going, ) with out them we could be in real trouble, two loses and we could be back on the edge of the red zone.
Why Scally did not pull the trigger after the FA Cup debacle last week I do not know ? I guess he is hoping we end up a middle of the table team and he he won't have to pay two managers if he fires J E .
Ho hum another wasted season for GFC, I can not imagine why I would should expect anything else ??

I am actually,so of course i`m going to say that! ;) It`s not nice to see anyone lose their job,he`s a nice bloke so I want him to turn it around.I`m not saying we have turned it around yet as we need more results,but I hope he can.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions