[ 8 Nov 16 ] West Brom U23s v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Bailey Cargill
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Darren Oldaker
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Mitchell Dickenson
No votes
Greg Cundle
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 8 Nov 16 ] West Brom U23s v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

Postby Garawa » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:14 am

The last time the Gills faced a reserve or academy side in a competitive fixture was in Feb 1950 (Exeter - Southern League).

The Gills have only met a West Brom (all first team) side on 7 occasions, the last back in April 2004, and have won 1 and lost 6 of them.

Academy sides have played 32 ties in this cup (9 wins) scoring 42 goals in the process. 2 wins and 11 goals came from Norwich alone.

The Gills only win against a West Brom side came in December 2001 when Chris Hope and Paul Smith goals secured a 2-1 win.

WBA's last game in this cup saw them use Boaz Myhill, Jonas Olsson, Craig Gardner and Callum Mcmanaman who had 985 league appearances (392 for the Baggies) between them.

7.46 Kick-Off

GOAL! West Brom U23s 0-1 Gillingham: Oldaker

8.33 Half-time: 0-1

The second half gets underway.

Penalty to Gillingham! Won by Knott for a push in the area.

GOAL! West Brom U23s 0-2 Gillingham: Emmanuel-Thomas (pen)

Mark Byrne has a goal ruled out for offside. The Gills first of the season.

9.38 FULL-TIME: 0-2

Attendance: 248 (9)
Referee: Nigel Miller
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 8 Nov 16 ] West Brom U23s v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 am

OH BOY,OH BOY,OH BOY, I can't wait for that to happen, sitting here trembling with excitement, or is it excrement, probably the later with GFC this year.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:14 pm

I am giving this game a miss, I was always going to give The Premier League B Team Game A Miss, which why I am relieved that West Brom V Gillingham is being played at The Hawthorns, it would have been harder to miss The B Team Game if Gillingham were playing at Priestfield Stadium on Tuesday Night.

West Brom have sold roughly eighty and Gillingham have sold less then twenty, so there could be less then a hundred supporters inside The Hawthorns on Tuesday Night for an competitive first team fixture.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Don't worry it will be the same next year, the FA will put it down to" teething problems ".
I can see them now at lunch the day after the game, Duke of Cambridge saying only a 100 at that game last night between who was it Albion of West Broomwitch, and Jilling Ham , I think there from Devon or somewhere near there, pass the Chardonnay please , not a bad drop of stuff this you know, anyway didn't look good at our attempted to make the competition more interesting.
Haw,Haw says Greg Clarke ,don't worry it will take a few years for the mugs that buy the tickets to get used to the new system, no way we can go back and say we made a mistake you know, no ,no ,no , and if anyone asks you your Dukeship if were going to drop the new system, just say the committee in charge of that competition has a meeting planned for after the final, that will shut them up.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:17 pm

i think you're being very unfair to our royals who have a long and successful association with our national sport. Just think World Cup bid and Prince Philip falling out of a coach and horses. Ok I know that wasn't football related but it made me laugh almost as much as Prince William's attempts at making a speech.

The latest batch of inbreds is scarcely better than the last lot; good old Lizzie and Phil's brood consists of a miserable old git, a tree-hugger, a playboy and a twice failed in business dimwit. No wonder we all love them so much.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Not many matches are pointless,but tomorrow`s match fits that category.Both Teams cannot get through the EFL Trophy group as we both don`t have any points.The match will be played at the Hawthorns in front of no more than around 200 people,We will take around 20 odd.For me that is 20 too much! Hopefully this will be the first and last time we have to play a B Team in the EFL Trophy.

What Team would you play? Edinburgh says we will play as strong Team as we need to.I think Nelson,Oshilaja,and Garmston will start.Garmston will get minutes.Cargill is very likely to finally make his debut.Nouble is injured,so I see Donnelly starting.Hopefully Mbo will get a chance on the bench.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Would not cross my mind to take anyone who the "new manager" is likely to want to play against Northampton next weekend, and if the FA fines them then for the first time in GFC history Scally would be able to make news without looking like an idiot , explaining getting players injured in front of 200 people makes the FA look like idiots in it's plans for this stupid competition. Field a reserve team, loose 10-1 and dam the consequences.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 pm

It's a straight choice between resting players and getting a £5,000 fine or not and going for the £10,000 for the win. The club boasted about a £30,000 bonus if the Brackley reply is on TV so an extra £10k don't sound too bad. But this is where the rules are bonkers. We can't rest that many players as part of the the rules yet the academy sides can change whatever they like because none will have played in their clubs last senior match! They can play the side that won away to the current champions of England if they wanted! Garmston and Cargill both have tweeted suggesting they will play and both would have featured highly this season but now become 2 of our changes!

We can't throw away £5k plus the travel etc so I would play a mix. Go 4-4-2 and rest Cody and Nouble replacing them with Donnelly and Oldaker (as List is suspended). Garmston for Konchesky at left back. Cargill for Osadebe so one of the centre backs can play left back (we have no right backs in any of our squads)! Bring in Byrne for Wright.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:04 pm

Yes I guess your right , none of it really matters I guess, go for the money and hope no on gets injured.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Proof that this tournament has been a roaring success.
Cww62GDXcAcZp-B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions