[ 5 Nov 16 ] GILLS v Brackley Town Match Thread (cup)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Stuart Nelson
25%
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Frank Nouble
75%
Cody McDonald
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Elliot List
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 4

[ 5 Nov 16 ] GILLS v Brackley Town Match Thread (cup)

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:25 pm

This is Brackley's 4th appearance in Round 1. Their other 4 games saw defeats to Eastwood and Newport but a win and a draw against the Gills.

The Gills have won 33 and lost 16 of their 60 Round 1 home ties. Against non-league opposition they have won 14 and lost 3 of 21 ties.

This is Brackley's 3rd first round appearance in 4 seasons. The tie with the Gills 3 years ago saw them make Round 2 for the only time in their history.

The Gills are looking for their first win in Round 1 of the FA Cup for the first time since beating Scunthorpe (4-0) 4 seasons ago.

This is the 5th game against non-league opposition in the past 11 seasons. Only a win against Bromley 10 years ago broke 3 defeats and a draw.

3.00 Kick-Off

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Brackley Town: Gusher

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Brackley Town: Armson

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Brackley Town: Nouble

Emmanuel-Thomas hits the post.

GOAL! Gillingham 2-2 Brackley Town: Nouble

3.48 Half-time: 2-2 (47:45)

The second half kicks off.

Brackley have a goal disallowed for offside.

4.56 FULL-TIME 2-2 (97:43)
Gillingham set new club records for longest run of games without a clean sheet (28) and lowest FA Cup home attendance.

Attendance: 2,410 (148)
Referee: Brendan Malone
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 5 Nov 16 ] GILLS v Brackley Town Match Thread (cup)

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Bloody games over by the time the facts are posted, here 's all the facts you need to know......................
4.45 pm, Saturday November 5th 2016, Gillingham FC 4 - 1 Brackley Town Alexander Wanderers, and if it's not a win the only firework going off in our garden will be the rocket going up Glasgow's butt.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:43 pm

I`m gutted I cannot be there as i`m at a Fireworks display at Quex Park.It`s strange how both Teams form mirrors the form from 3 seasons ago when we played.I`m not too confident of us winning because of our poor form,but my heart says we will have more quality on the day.Dack,Wagstaff,and Jackson will all miss the game through injury.You can say this game is one of the biggest of the season,as a good win with a clean sheet could kick us on.Or a defeat could lose Edinburgh his job.It`s a good opportunity to have a cup run in what is the best Cup competition in the world.It would be nice to put the defeat to Brackley to bed as it is still fresh in our memories.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:18 pm

For those that would like to depress themselves and revisit what we thought 3 years ago, here is the match thread from back then (halloween is a bit late but never mind)!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=717

Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Well 0-2 down after twenty minutes wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but at least we've got one back against what is clearly a really really really strong team from non league! It's odd being at home when Gills are at home but I really could not muster the enthusiasm to attend today.
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Odd first half. 15 minutes at the start we looked sharp, much quicker and didn't allow them out of our half. They looked sluggish (as a non league side might) and offered little. Then for the next 15 we retreated and allowed them acres of space from which they scored twice. Many will say their second was a fantastic goal but any side would score that if given that amount of room! No attempt to close down. No attempt to block crosses and the defence is looking more and more inept every game. Then the next 15 minutes before the half ended we were back in control and carved them open at will. 2 goals for Nouble created by Jet who also hit the post. Seconds after the equaliser we should have scored so that 15 minutes could have made it 4-2. As it was the 15 before gave up everything to do.

Second half was appalling. They had the chances to win it and should have and we'd have let them. There was no effort to try and win the game and effectively played well for 15 minutes after the shame of going 2 down. The cries of "Out, out, out" at the all said it all. I just can't figure out how or why we gave a defence that doesn't want to defend.....and playing for a manager who was one of the countries best defenders in his day.

Going to be 2 unwanted club records in the space of 4 days and no win in 9. We are in trouble.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:17 pm

If Mr. Scally keeps Edinburgh one more game after today then he does NOT have Gillingham FC's best interest at heart. Edinburgh is not up to the task of managing GFC , he actually thinks that the team showed character today , and NO Mr. Scally , Hessy is not the man to come in and run the club as the interim manager.
The Gills have 7 days to start interviewing before the regular season starts again, time to put out the call and pick up who ever MKDons don't choose ?
Just been looking at the betting odds, Edinburgh is 25/1 to be MK Dons next manager, I guess the bookies know something we don't ?
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:08 pm

My Thoughts on Gillingham V Brackley Town.........

Very Lucky Gillingham, those were the three words that came to me both at half time and at full time because if I was A Brackley Town Supporter, I would be kicking myself that Brackley Town let a two goal lead slip and not capitalize on the goal-scoring opportunities where Brackley Town could have added to there goal tally, Gillingham's Confidence looks completely shattered, especially in defence because we just kept backing off and backing off and that is precisely what Gillingham did for James Armson's goal for 2-0, yes, it is an fantastic strike by James Armson and from A Brackley Town Point Of View James Armson's goal was an fantastic goal, but from an Gillingham point of view, the defending was very poor and we just gave Brackley Town an invitation to run at our defence and shoot.

Emmanuel Osadebe had an complete mare at Right Back and his defensive positioning was all over the place, Paul Konchesky looks like he can do with an break as we're asking an thirty five year old left back to play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, and with Bradley Garmston injured, we have got no Left Back Cover, and we have no natural right back to cover for Ryan Jackson - who cannot get an run of competitive matches under his belt - and when you look at our centre back options, Josh Pask, Max Ehmer, Adedeji Oshilaja, Baily Cargill (when we finally see him play) and youngsters Mitchell Dickenson and Finn O'Mara, all six centre backs I have mentioned are under the age of twenty five, why didn't Justin Edinburgh convince Adam El-Abd to sign for Gillingham or look to sign an experienced centre back I have no idea ??? - we knew that John Egan was going to leave once promotion into The Championship was no longer an possibility, but our defensive additions over the summer have been inferior acquisitions to the defensive options we had available to us last season, and I think the lack of experience in the heart of our defence explains the number of goals Gillingham are conceding this season as well.

Another reason why Gillingham are conceding so many goals is the constant changes in the back five, Stuart Nelson and Jonathan Bond have played in goal, Ryan Jackson, Josh Pask, Adedeji Oshilaja, Emmanuel Osadebe, Scott Wagsatff and Chris Herd have all played at Right Back / Right Wing Back, Adedeji Oshilaja, Josh Pask, Max Ehmer and Chris Herd have played at centre back, and Paul Konchesky, Elliott List and Emmanuel Osadebe have all played at Left Back / Left Back, throw in the number of defensive changes to changes in systems from a flat back four and a back three / back five formation and the defence cannot build up an understanding, we have no cohesion as an defensive unit, and leaking goals puts pressure on the attack to score 2-3 goals to win an game of football, and as we have seen recently, we haven't been able to score enough goals to win games because the defence are incapable of keeping an clean sheet.

Look at The Gillingham Teams that got promoted in 2008 / 2009 and 2012 / 2013, the back five picked itself week in, week out, in 2008 / 2009 it was Simon Royce, Barry Fuller, Garry Richards, Simon King and John Nutter, and in 2012 / 2013, it was Stuart Nelson, Matt Fish, Leon Legge, Adam Barrett and Joe Martin - before we signed Leon Legge, Tom Flanagan played alongside Adam Barrett, but the defence picked itself, an settled defence has got Gillingham promoted in both of those examples I have given, this season the defence has been anything but settled, it has been all over the place, and Justin Edinburgh hasn't signed the reinforcements we needed over the summer to strengthen our defensive options, and I am surprised that Justin Edinburgh hasn't improved Gillingham's defence, as he was an defender in his playing days, so you think he would know what Gillingham would need to make us stronger as an defensive unit ???

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas deserves credit for assisting Frank Nouble for both of his goals and well done Frank Nouble for stepping up and getting himself on the score-sheet, because that quickly taken goal after Jimmy Armson' had doubled Brackley Town's lead was an crucially timed goal, as was the equaliser before half time, so frustrating that Frank Nouble cannot play for the full ninety minutes, which only further strengthens the suggestions, that Gillingham do not do a lot of fitness work on the training ground, because Gillingham had ten players missing from yesterday's squad - Jonathan Bond, Ryan Jackson, Chris Herd, Baily Cargill, Bradley Garmston, Aaron Morris, Scott Wagstaff, Bradley Dack, Lee Martin and Joe Quigley (I think we're still paying for Joe Quigley's wages) - but the number of injuries and Frank Nouble unable to last for the full ninety minutes does make you ask the question what do Gillingham do on the training ground ??? - The Injuries to Aaron Morris, Lee Martin and Joe Quigley are serious injuries, but the number of niggling knocks and not being able to name and settled starting line up is very concerning, and that does make me ask the question what are we doing to prevent players from picking up injuries ???

I thought that Jake Hessenthaler looked up for the game yesterday in an unfamiliar central attacking midfielder role, Elliott List made an impressive contribution from the substitutes bench and by bringing on Elliott List first ahead of Rory Donnelly, I thought that was an big statement from Justin Edinburgh, and Elliott List looked up for the game as his pace caused Brackley Town a lot of problems defensively, Rory Donnelly on for Cody McDonald was an like for like swap, why didn't Justin Edinburgh look to take off one of Billy Knott or Josh Wright and get two strikers in the middle of the pitch with Jay Emmanuel-Thomas on the right and Elliott List on the left ???

The first half can be divided into three fifteen minute spells, before Brackley Town scored, Josh Wright had an effort on goal saved by Brackley Town Goalkeeper Laurie Walker, Jake Hessenthaler tried his luck from distance which failed to hit the target by an considerable distance, and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas threaded the ball through to Frank Nouble, who saw his shot on target blocked, but once Alex Gudger opened the scoring for Brackley Town, the Visitor's could and should have put this match out of sight, Adam Walker headed the ball back across the face of goal and just wide of Stuart Nelson's left hand post, and Me and Rob thought that was in, I was standing up aggravated by Gillingham's lacklustre performance and you could feel the apprehension in the crowd at Priestfield Stadium yesterday, and an minute later, Adedeji Oshilaja's poor defensive header tee's up James Armson, who drags his shot wide of Stuart Nelson's Left Hand Post and every Gillingham Player is getting out of his way, afraid to concede a penalty, Paul Konchesky was very lucky not to concede an penalty with an dangerous sliding challenge, and Brackley Town then doubled there lead with James Armson's strike, an goal that our Conference North Opponents deserved.

After that goal and Frank Nouble halved the deficit straight from the kick off, Billy Knott has tried his luck from distance and failed to hit the target, Jake Hessenthaler see's his low shot / cross blocked and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas see's his effort crash against the base of the post, and we have no idea how Gillingham didn't score, and just after that chance, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas's deep cross is headed over the crossbar by Max Ehmer, but Brackley Town should have scored before Gillingham equalised, as Steve Diggin plays Lee Ndlovu through, and Brackley Town's Number Nine blasts the ball over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy, and after that miss, the same two players combine for Gillingham's Equaliser, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas low cross and Frank Nouble scores an crucial equaliser for Gillingham.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:09 pm

Second Half wasn't as good as the first, both Diane and Katie gave an 5-2 win for Gillingham at half time, but the goal-fest from the first half just wasn't there in The Second, even though both teams had chances to progress into The Second Round Of The FA Cup and avoid an replay, Second Half and Gillingham could have turned this match on it's head, and this time it is Frank Nouble going on an surging run, and his low cross across the face of goal just need an final touch from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who couldn't get an telling touch on the ball, Adam Walker fires an effort wide from twenty yards out for Brackley Town and after Elliott List had came on, Stuart Nelson makes an fantastic save to deny Steve Diggin from scoring as Adam Walker whips in an fantastic cross, the offside flag was already raised from the linesman, so Steve Diggin's effort on goal wouldn't have counted, but even so, brilliant save from Stuart Nelson.

Fifty Nine Minutes into the game, and Laurie Walker had to claw Billy Knott's in-swinging cross away from goal as Billy Knott came close to scoring for Gillingham directly from an corner kick, Jake Hessenthaler see's an low strike towards goal routinely saved by Laurie Walker, Glenn Walker's in-swinging cross into the heart of Gillingham's Penalty Area is well gathered by Stuart Nelson and Eighty Three Minutes into the match, and Jay Emamnuel-Thomas goes on an surging run forward into an more central position on the pitch, threads the ball through to Paul Konchesky, who fails to hit the target with an first time effort, and that was the chance Gillingham were looking for to take the lead, Eighty Seven Minutes into the match and Shane Byrne tries his luck from distance and Stuart Nelson is in the right place to make the save, and that re-bound could have gone anywhere and Gillingham get an lucky escape and clear there lines.

And Brackley Town could have won the match in added time as David Pitt gets onto one ball down-field which just goes over Gillingham's Defence and I thought that David Pitt had gone past Stuart Nelson and Gillingham somehow survive because Brackley Town looked the more likely side to win late on, you do have to question Gillingham's Fitness, with the number of goals conceded late on in games, ten players out injured and Frank Nouble cannot play for ninety minutes, Gillingham have broken the longest run of games without keeping an clean sheet, which was the record we had back in 1933 - as Gillingham have now gone thirty three games without keeping an clean sheet.

I hate calling for managerial changes, but we have reached an situation now where an new manager is needed to turn things around for Gillingham, I like Justin Edinburgh and if he stays then I really do hope that he can turn things around, but I have been hoping that Justin Edinburgh can turn things around for the past five to six weeks and not signing an back up right back to cover for Ryan Jackson, not strengthening our defensive options, the number of niggling injuries, the bizarre scenario where we signed an un-fit centre back in Baily Cargill, question marks over the lack of fitness work being done on the training ground and our last win in any competition being against Coventry City in September, now Teams will have there good times and bad times, but Paul Scally backed Justin Edinburgh in the transfer market with twelve signings, and we kept hold of Bradley Dack, further signings were made when we signed Chris Herd and Frank Nouble, so Paul Scally's investment in the playing staff cannot be questioned and he is showing a lot of loyalty and leniency towards Justin Edinburgh, and Justin Edinburgh needs to start delivering results and fast.

I think The Rainham End should have remained open yesterday, I can understand from an business point of view why The Rainham End was closed, but some Season Ticket Holders either chose not to go because it is The FA Cup, they either chose not to go because they couldn't sit in there usual seat, or they chose not to go because Season Ticket Holders who normally sit in there seats in The Medway Stand, couldn't buy that seat for An FA Cup Game, as Gillingham messed up and should have only sold non Season Ticket Holder Seats in The Medway Stand First, before then deciding to sell Season Ticket Holder Seats after enough time had passed.

I was aggravated during the game yesterday, especially when Adam Walker headed wide in The First Half, once Brackley Town were 2-0 up, The FA Cup Upset was on and we haven't had an FA Cup Run since Andy Hessenthaler was Manager, as our defeats since our 3-1 defeat against Stoke City in The Third Round were in The Second Round against Preston North End, and three FA Cup First Round Defeats against Brackley Town, Bristol City and Stevenage, and we're very lucky to still be in The FA Cup Now, but with Brackley Town at home, I can see an cup upset happening, as this game may well be televised again.

Final Thought: The Trains were running every half an hour to Gillingham Only, and this added additional time on to my journey both too and from Priestfield Stadium yesterday, perhaps The Trains not running as usual also impacted on The Attendance yesterday as well.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:47 pm

quite a few boycotted the game.I was at a fireworks display from 5pm,but managed to listen to most of the second half.It's good that we came back From 2-0 down,but we shouldn't have got ourselves in that position.We have broke an unwanted record which means no clean sheet in 28 games now.The defending looked poor for the goals,but the strike for their second was very good.Nouble had two simple finishes for us,but I'm disappointed we never went on to win it,and it sounded like Brackley were the only ones going to win.With our poor form you look at this game as a chance to get some confidence,but where is the next win going to come from? Confidence is really low,and fan moral seems lower than when Taylor was here.The only positives are Nouble has got off the mark,and we're still in the hat for tomorrow.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions