[ 29 Oct 16 ] Fleetwood v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Adedeji Oshilija
No votes
Chris Herd
No votes
Max Herd
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Frank Nouble
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes
Elliott List
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 29 Oct 16 ] Fleetwood v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:55 pm

The Gills 5-1 win at home to Fleetwood last season is the only one against them. They have won 3 of the 6 meetings all coming in the last 4 ties.

Fleetwood are the only side in League 1 yet to suffer a blank sheet whilst the Gills are the only side in the league yet to earn a clean sheet.

Fleetwood have only lost 1 of their last 11 home games (a 4-1 defeat to MK Dons). They won 5 and drew 5 of the others.

Fleetwood have scored in each of their last 16 league games whilst the Gills have conceded in each of their last 21.

All 5 of Fleetwood's clean sheets this season in the league have been kept in all 5 of their wins (3 at home all ending 2-0 plus 2-0 and 1-0 away from home).

Fleetwood haven't scored more than 2 goals in a league game since beating Swindon 5-1 in November, 43 games ago.

Fleetwood have led for the longest amount of time at home in League 1 (335 minutes) whilst the Gills have been behind for longest away (319).

3.00 Kick-Off

GOAL! Fleetwood 1-0 Gillingham: Ball
Fleetwood's goal equals the Gills record run without a clean sheet of 27 league and cup games. The previous record was set in March 1934.

3.48 Half-time: 1-0 (48:04)
The last 2 times the Gills were 1-0 down at half time in an away game they drew 3-3 and won 3-1.

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Fleetwood 1-1 Gillingham: Hessenthaler
Jake Hessenthaler has previously scored 3 away goals for the Gills and all had come in away wins!

GOAL! Fleetwood 2-1 Gillingham: Hunter

4.53 FULL-TIME: 2-1 (98:42)

Position: 18th
Attendance: 2,600 (198)
Referee: Richard Clarke
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 29 Oct 16 ] Fleetwood v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 pm

A tough trip to Fleetwood on Saturday.Hopefully we can build on the performance we gave against Charlton.The formation was very bold,but i`m not sure we will play that way on Saturday.I would love a win to lift us away from near the bottom,but not too confident.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:20 pm

If you look back at the Bristol Rovers thread I suggested playing Nouble, Cody and Jet, 3 games later and Ged came up with the same idea.
I know Fleetwood is away but we just suck when trying to be defensive, when we play on the front foot there is a much better chance of us winning, if not at least we show fight and it's entertaining to watch.

Stick with what works for us Ged and go for it.
baronnight

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Totally agree ,there is plenty of season left, going to Fleetwood in the hope of coming away with a point won't work for the Gills, we always seem to blow it in the last few minutes, and Fleetwood are pretty good at home where they have only lost once all season.
It's ba**s against the wall time, for Glsgow and the team, a loss won't be the end of the world, but a win will set us up nicely for when the real season starts again at home to Northampton in a couple of weeks.
November is not a tough month for Gillingham, two home wins and a couple of away draws and were back in the top ten, I think promotion is not a reality unless we bring in players at Christmas, but we sure as hell don't need to be in a relegation fight come January.
Come on you Gills beat Fleetwood ,( where ever the hell that is) and Mr. Glasgow time to play 3 up front not one loan forward in the hope of scoring then defending with 10 in the box for the second half.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:59 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson-------------------------------------------
Herd----------------Ehmer---------------------Oshilaja-----------------Konchesky
-------------------Hessenthaler-----------------Knott------------------------------
Emmanuel-Thomas---------------Dack--------------------------------------Nouble
----------------------------------McDonald------------------------------------------

Subs: Hadler (GK), Pask, Wright, Byrne, Osadebe, List, Donnelly

I cannot see Ryan Jackson starting tomorrow, Jackson cannot get a run of league games under his belt, and with Adedeji Oshilaja back from suspension, we either got the choice of Adedeji Oshilaja or Chris Herd at Right Back, unless Emmanuel Osadebe or Josh Pask starts in Ryan Jackson's place, I have gone for Chris Herd - but why didn't we sign A Back Up Right Back in the summer, with the exception of Adedeji Oshilaja in for Ryan Jackson, and Stuart Nelson replacing the injured Jonathan Bond, the rest of the team I think should remain un-changed from The Starting XI that played against Charlton Athletic Last Saturday.

I am up at 5AM for the long long trip to Fleetwood Town, so hopefully Gillingham can come back from Highbury with all three points - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Rimshot » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Watching Soccer Saturday actually expecting us to concede a late goal, that's how bad we have become. Absolutely incapable Of defending in the last quarter of the game and this side has either no stomach for a fight or is not fit enough.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Just passed Glasgow walking down the Motorway, seems they threw him off the bus, looks like a new manager next week for GFC.
Hessy Jnr. shouted out the charabang window they were sick of hearing about all the games he played in for Spurs over the ten years he was at White Heart Lane.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Rimshot, fitness might have a part but I'm certain its fear. We know it's coming, we all feel a late goal is round the corner and I'm sure the players must too. It has now happened so often they are stuck in rut and I'm not sure how they get out of it until that clean sheet comes. In the last 2 home games I thought we played well, I could see us winning 2 or 3 nil but all the time that game was 1-0 the look of fear and the way they retreated led to them virtually handing them a goal in any way they could. I don't remember anything like it!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Were talking about professional football players here, the only thing they have ever done is play a kids game and get paid for it, of course there not scared of conceding a goal in the last few minutes of a game, they don't even think of that when they come out on the pitch at 3 o clock on a Saturday afternoon, it's the furthest thing from their minds.
As for being unfit how the hell can they be, were over 25% of the way through the season, and the summer break only lasts from early May to July, how unfit could they become in 8 or 10 weeks ??
Simple problem at GFC, Scally gave the reigns to a guy who is not capable enough to lead Gillingham Football Club into the Championship Division where we all long for them to be.
Last year Glasgow took us from the top of the table to a mid table finish in a few weeks, and this year Scally let him pick the players he wanted to gain promotion and obviously apart from being a poor motivator of players he has proven himself to be a bad judge of talent, he is NOT a very good manger all round , and it can only be a matter of a couple of weeks with the Gills playing like this and he will be gone.
A big 4 or 5-1 win against some part time post office and gas station employees in the Cup next week might save his butt till we get back to playing Division One football, a loss against Northampton will end his tenure at Gillingham.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I couldn`t listen after 25 minutes as Gillsplayer cut out for me.It looks like the same story we have watched for a while,a 2-1 defeat with poor goals conceded.I thought after the draw with Walsall,and the excellent performance v Charlton we had turned the corner,but it`s back to what we have been used to lately.Pleased that Hessy scored,it looked a good strike.He didn`t deserve to be frozen out,as we know he can chip in with goals and he gives 100%.Edinburgh must be on the ropes now,and i`m worried about Brackley next week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions