[ 22 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Jonathan Bond
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Chris Herd
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Frank Nouble
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Stuart Nelson
100%
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 22 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:25 pm

This is the 29th meeting between the sides and only the 4th since 1981 (in which time the Gills are unbeaten). Charlton lead the wins 13 to 4.

The last 2 meeting ended with draws and the Gills are unbeaten in 3 ending a spell that saw 6 straight Charlton wins (they last won at Priestfield in December 1980).

Charlton have drawn each of their last 4 away league games but have won 1 of their last 9 overall in the league (the same total as the Gills).

Before today, the Gills had the worst total in League 1 for goals conceded (26). Charlton have conceded half the amount but scored 4 fewer.

In all competitions the Gills have won 6 games this season, twice the number of Charlton.

Despite both sides sitting on 16 points and with the Gills having an extra win, Charlton's goal difference is +3 whilst the Gills is -6.

3.02 Kick-Off.

Bond goes off injured and is replaced by Nelson.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Charlton: Dack
The Gills have dropped 76.2% of the pts from the 7 games they scored first in (1 win, 4 defeats). Only Shrewsbury are worse with 100% (1 game)

3.50 Half-time: 1-0 (48:01)

Charlton have previously conceded first 5 times in the league and have yet to win from them (3 draws).

The second half kicks off.

Penalty to Charlton!. Conceded by Ryan Jackson.

Penalty saved by Stuart Nelson!

Nelson stops a shot from point blank range.

Penalty to Charlton!. Conceded by Chris Herd.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Charlton: Ajose (pen)

5.00 FULL-TIME: 1-1 (100:17)

Position: 18th
Attendance: 8,670 (2,360)
Referee: Mark Haywood
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 22 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:25 pm

The second of two home games this week.Like many this is the game I looked out for when the fixtures came out.I just wish we were going into it in better form.The crowd so far looks like around 7,500 which would be low for a big derby game like this.If we were playing better we would be looking at 10,000 again.We need a win,and a performance to lift the fans moral.There is no better game to do that on Saturday.A win would move us up the table,a defeat could put us in the bottom four.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:28 am

So 2 suspended with Wagstaff and possibly Jackson injured. Got to keep the same shape and personnel as best we can to let the players get used to each other after constantly making changes. I would play (not fussed who is in goal, I don't think Bond is any better than Nelson):

........................Bond

Herd.........Ehmer........Pask...........Konchesky

............Byrne.........Hessenthaler

.....Donnelly.......Dack.......Knott

..................McDonald

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Two pretty bad teams playing at Priesfield this weekend, shame, a real shame. I was looking at this fixture in August and thinking it would be a good result if we got a 2-2 draw, assumed both Gillingham and Charlton would be in the top half dozen teams pushing for promotion along with the likes of Bolton, Millwall, Sheffield , but I guess it was not to be.
I think I can still see a draw on the books, but I hope we get a good crowd and get the result we all want, 3-1 to the Gills, lol. GO GILLINGHAM
gillsfan1066

Postby baronnight » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:31 am

We need some pace in the team so I would like to see Jet and or Nouble play, and where is Osadebe ? I've heard nothing about injury yet he was invisible the other night.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:15 am

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

-------------------------------------Bond--------------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Ehmer----------------------Pask-------------------Konchesky
-------------------Hessenthaler-----------------Herd-------------------------------
Nouble-----------------------------Dack---------------------------------------Knott
----------------------------------McDonald------------------------------------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), M.Dickenson, Oldaker, Byrne, List, Emmanuel-Thomas, Donnelly

With Adedeji Oshilaja and Josh Wright suspended, Josh Pask will come in for Adedeji Oshilaja and I think Jake Hessenthaler will move into his more natural central midfielder role, with Frank Nouble taking Scott Wagstaff's place on The Right Wing, I also can see Billy Knott starting to give Gillingham some creativity on the left, and hopefully, this time Justin Edinburgh will use the attacking options he has available to him on the substitutes bench, as I can see Elliott List coming back into The Match-Day Squad Today, and Elliott List, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Rory Donnelly may well be needed to turn an loss into a draw, or a draw into a win.

Fingers Crossed, that come 5PM, Gillingham will pick up all three points against Charlton Athletic - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Rimshot » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 pm

Joke, but a bad joke.
Rimshot

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:20 pm

Not sure what to say apart from if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine. We just need a change of fortune and not to bother with that ref again!
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:07 pm

I like many other fans felt we were robbed.I will say it was the best performance for a while,and credit to Edinburgh for starting Dack,Nouble,JET,and Cody.It was a very attacking side,and we deserved to go in 1-0 up.Charlton offered nothing in the first half,and you could see why they booed when you have Novak and Ajose on the bench.Nelson came on for Bond who has injured his groin again,and boy was Nelson ready! He made a great save that he tipped over,then he saved Holmes penalty.It looked like their player had fallen down easily for it,but Jackson got the booking.Justice done as it was well saved.Up the other end Cody goes down in the box,and he gets nothing! How can you give nothing? Then later on Cody is through on goal and he gets taken down,nothing given again! The whole ground could see it,but the ref looked like he was doing all he could to stop us winning.Nelson made more good saves,before Herd handled in the box in the 90th minute.It was a penalty,but he was always going to give it to them.Ajose the sub took it this time,and he sent Nelson the wrong way for 1-1.There was a chance in the 98th minute when Cody was brought down outside the area.His free kick was charged down and that was that.

I thought we played really well,and the set up is something I would like to see repeated.we deserved to win,but the ref didn't give us the big decisions.Fantastic to see Nelson back in the Team and in great form.Hopefully we can build on the point and performance.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:25 pm

What an attacking line-up! 4-3-3 with Cody, Jet and Nouble up top and Knott, Dack and Hessy behind. Looked a fragile formation but we looked full of energy and power and I'm sure that formation can get us back on track. Second half was a good performance, better than recently but the first was fantastic. Jet was electric and impossible to play against. Dack was everywhere, often in the last 2 back and ahead of the front 3. Hessy didn't give anyone a moment on the ball and won a throw after forcing Holmes off to the side after a quick breakaway. The passing from Herd and Knott was sublime and Nouble's touches and flicks were brilliant. Jackson twice ran round attackers in the box and simply took the ball off their feet and cleared before Nelson was called into action. He deserved man of the match but it suggests it was a defensive Gills display but that wasn't the case at all.

As for the officials, truly weird decisions. Twice giving a corner when not person expected it after the ball clearly went wide from shots without any Gills intervention (one of which he blew as the corner was being struck and the only reason for it I could see was for correcting a mistake)! He refused to give 2 penalties that looked very clear cut yet gave us a free kick in our own area for the slightest brush. Charlton put the ball out for our throw, the linesman literally a yard or two away gave it their way but the ref overruled and gave us a free kick instead! He was totally conned for the first penalty after Ulvestad kept backing in and bumping deliberately into Jackson waiting for him to wrestle him. After a bit of shirt pulling the ref called them both over and their cards were marked but as the corner was taken, Ulvestad jumps backwards and threw himself on the ground to make the ref thing he had been yanked over! Nelson's save made the point irrelevant thankfully.

Utterly bonkers decisions. Dack should have scored late on to make it 2-0 but by then we might have had a couple more from the penalties that weren't and taken a 4-1 win against a side that concede very little instead of drawing. The last 3 games apparently we have faired much better and any other time would probably have seen 2 wins and a draw rather than 2 draws and a defeat. Maybe the side is starting to find their feet again.

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions