[ 8 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Chris Herd
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Frank Nouble
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 8 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Oldham lead the wins 22 to 17 but have won 9 of the last 14 meetings whilst the Gills have won just 2.

14 goals have been scored in the last 3 games with Oldham (including 11 in the last 2 home games) but it took 9 games before it to produce 15.

Oldham failed to score in 7 of their 11 league games whilst the Gills have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their 11, both totals are the worst in the league.

Coventry and Oldham, successive visitors to Priestfield, were both bottom of league 1 at the time and combined accounted for 7 of the league's 11 0-0 scorelines.

Oldham ended last season with 5 league wins in 9 but this season have managed 1 win in 11 (a 1-0 away win at Bury).

The Gills have scored 17 goals in League 1, as many as Oldham have seen in total (the lowest league total). Their 5 scored is also the lowest.

3.02 Kick-Off

GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Oldham: McDonald

Oldham scored the fewest number of first half goals last season with 15 and have the fewest (before today) this season with 3.

3.49 Half-time: 1-0 (47:02)

Oldham have now only led at half time 8 times in 57 league games (Won 5, Drew 3). This is the Gills' 4th lead of the season (Won 1, Lost 2)

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Oldham: Ladapo
Oldham's goal means the Gills have now gone 23 league and cup games without a clean sheet. The highest total is 27 (1933 / 34)

Oldham haven't scored more than 1 goal in their last 13 away league matches, scoring just 7 goals in the process. They lost 4 of those 13.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Oldham: Flynn

4.55 FULL-TIME 1-2 (96:33)

Position:
Attendance: 6,425 (127)
Referee: Kevin Johnson
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 8 Oct 16 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:12 pm

All being well on the Ticket front,I will be going tomorrow.Oldham are bottom of the league so it`s an opportunity to get back to winning ways,but with us conceding poor goals you don`t know what Gills Team will turn up.Hopefully in front of a bigger than normal crowd,we will get a nice win.A defeat would probably put Edinburgh`s job under threat.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:32 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Ehmer--------------------Oshilaja-----------------Konchesky
---------------------Wright----------------------Herd------------------------------
Wagstaff---------------------------Knott--------------------------------------List
-------------------------------Emmanuel-Thomas----------------------------------

Subs: Hadler (GK), Byrne, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, Nouble, Dack, McDonald

Josh Wright and Chris Herd were superb against Millwall on Tuesday Night and so was Jake Hessenthaler - who I do believe will be involved at some point during the game match tomorrow, especially as Chris Herd cannot play for the full ninety minutes - the surprise inclusion is Elliott List, who I was thought was out-standing and My Choice For Man Of The Match against Millwall and I think Elliott List is duo a starting role, having impressed as a substitute for Gillingham this season.

The squad starts to look much stronger with Scott Wagstaff, Frank Nouble, Bradley Dack and Cody McDonald all being available for selection, the key is making sure that those who come back into the squad, remain fit and available for selection, Gillingham have lined up with The Wing Back System in the past three away games and it is a system that can work, but with the number of midfielder options we have got available for selection, I can see Justin Edinburgh looking to play a 4.2.3.1 formation.

Hopefully Gillingham can get back to winning ways with a win against Oldham Athletic tomorrow, COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Going to win by two or three, and if we don't win Glasgow should be gone by Saturday 6 pm, your time.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:21 pm

First half; pretty good I thought. 2nd half; what the hell was that? Baffling substitutions, a change in tactics that no one near me understood, lack of fitness from half our team and an inevitable and abject surrender once again. How many times have we lost from winning positions? It's never good to hear the crowd booing and jeering at the end but I completely understood why people were so cross. Add to that no atmosphere, even when we were winning and the standard slanging matches between Gills fans in the RE and you can understand why I'm wondering why I bother.
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:23 pm

What the hell is going on, England beat the Isle of Sheppy by 2-0 and the manger says it was a good win, and this idiot Glasgow who I would guess by now 9 pm your time Saturday night is at home having dinner with the wife at some nice restaurant says , " I am disappointed and upset " at the loss.
No Mr. Glasgow you "bleeping idiot", your disappointed and upset when your 12 years old and you get underwear and socks for Christmas instead of a new bike or a Scalextric racing car set . My God your a weak ass manger, you screwed up last season and now you have taken us from first to what 13 place in the table and now your team is getting booed off the pitch at the end of games, WTF are you doing.??
Sorry I forgot your just happy to be working closer to home than in your last job. Do the right thing and get out NOW, NOW,NOW, were only three points off of being in a relegation battle, and what 10 points away from automatic promotion , well done mate, well done.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:36 am

I thought we started well,we got the ball down and looked to get an early goal.We did that when Cody`s header on 10 minutes beat their keeper.A big point in the game was when another Cody header midway through the half was saved.If that goes in it`s 2-0 and their heads drop.I don`t know what happened at half-time,but we came out a completely different Team.We were sloppy,and invited Oldham on to us for the whole second half.We resorted to hoof ball more,and it kept coming back to us.I think we needed List on so he could run at them,but we brought on Byrne who is more a defensive kind of player.They sent a couple of warnings where the ball flashed across the goal with no one there to knock it in,and some how their player has missed from close range.Their equaliser came when Ladapo on loan from Palace headed in.We had a clear penalty turned down whick shocked and angered ever Gills fan.Their player clearly handles the ball,but the ref gives nothing.Moments like that are not going for us,but it`s our own fault that we`re gifting goals to Teams.Their winner came in the 90th minute when Flynn slotted home.You could see it coming as they piled the pressure on.We looked strangers,and were gifting a side with the worst shot count and attack currently in the league.I spoke outside the ground before to a mate,and he said if we concede against this attack we know our defence is poor,and it clearly is.

The reaction at the final whistle was boo`s,and quite a few near me were shouting for JED to go in the Medway Stand.I think his days may be numbered,as the run of results are poor,and the same thing keeps happening game after game.Mysterious droppings of players,and players looking really fed up out there.Hessy after the game walked out with his family,and you could hear him annoyed about playing on the left.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Rimshot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 am

I know match stats can be misleading but all of them point to a deserved Oldham win. Here's a team that hasn't won since the world was young all over us on possession ,shots, corners, everything but fouls !
Yet another false dawn for GFC. Another season with little prospect of success.
As I have said many times if the owner's only ambition is to draw a large salary this is inevitable.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Even with the injuries we have a very good squad indeed! Imagine a forward line of Wagstaff, Dack and Knott with Cody and Jet if on form! Jed's constant tinkering and changing is the reason rather than Scally. He has played Wagstaff at right back as well as List who has also featured there in midfield and as a striker. He has played Dack, Wagstaff, Knott, Byrne, Emmanuel-Thomas and Osadebe in the number 10 role. He has played Wright, Osadebe, Byrne and Oldaker in the holding role and some of these changes came in successive games. How can players understand what is asked of them if they are being played in different positions game after game?

There are several players who could have stayed in the same spot regardless of injuries. If it came to it it would be better to have used a youth player who played in that position. For me 3 of the 4 defence positions could have remained the same, so to the holding role. All midfield roles pretty much would pick themselves apart from Wagstaff's (injured) who could have altered with Jet. The players have no idea where they are meant to be, what they are meant to be doing and that is Edinburgh's fault. We started the season well. Making changes when there are so many injuries is criminal and you can argue we would be doing alright had he not played around so much. Having a tiny pre-season clearly is killing us as we are doing all our tinkering now!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:34 am

Results say different. Very good players ? By what standards ?
Rimshot

Next

Return to Match Discussions