[ 1 Oct 16 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilija
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes
Paul Konchesky
100%
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Darren Oldaker
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Elliott List
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 1 Oct 16 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:05 pm

This is the 5th meeting between the sides. AFC Wimbledon have won 2 (3-1 at home and 4-3 at Priestfield) whilst the Gills have won 1 (1-0 away).

AFC Wimbledon are unbeaten in 3 in the league but have won 1 (vs Chesterfield) and lost 3 of their 5 home league games.

AFC Wimbledon are the second highest conceders of home goals (9 goals in 5 games) whilst the Gills are the joint highest scorers away (10 in 5).

The Gills have yet to score more than 2 goals in a home game this season but have scored 3 in 4 of their 8 away games.

In the 20 league games played by both sides, just 2 of them saw clean sheets kept (Scunthorpe 5-0 Gills and Northampton 0-0 AFC Wimbledon).

The Gills have conceded the opening goal in away games this season in 7 out of 8 occurrences. Including cup games, they recovered 13 "points" from them.

3.00 Kick-Off

GOAL! AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Gillingham: Poleon
A bad back pass from Donnelly leaves Nelson stranded.

AFC Wimbledon have the second worst record in the league when scoring first. They have yet to win from 3 leads, drawing 2 of them.

Penalty for Wimbledon for a foul by Josh Pask.

GOAL! AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Gillingham: Parrott (pen)

3.49 Half-time: 2-0

The second half kicks off.

Red Card! Rory Donnelly is given a straight red for unsporting behaviour after a gesture to the away fans.

4.53 FULL-TIME: 2-0

Position:
Attendance: 4,653 (801)
Referee: Darren England
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 1 Oct 16 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

Postby CadburyMan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Ticket secured
CadburyMan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm

Another away game for Gills,but this one is a lot closer for us with a sell out away following from Gills too.Wimbledon have started slowly to life in league one,but look like they`re just settling into the division now.They have experienced players,and a few dangerous players.Poleon will be a threat and he tore us apart for Oldham last season.Barcham as we know on his day can be a handful,they also have Lyle Taylor upfront who is prolific.Callum Kennedy and Barry Fuller will also be in the squad against us.I expect there will be a few goals as we`re yet to keep a clean sheet,and we score a few ourselves.This is a game we should be looking at winning,and if we play to our best we can.A win could put us in the top 6.

What would be your Team? We have at least 10 injuries at the moment,Cody and Donnelly joined the list on Tuesday.Hopefully we wont be as light as we were on Tuesday night.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Pask----------------Ehmer--------------------Oshilaja-----------------Konchesky
---------------------Wright----------------------Byrne-----------------------------
Wagstaff---------------------------Dack-------------------------------------Knott
-------------------------------Emmanuel-Thomas----------------------------------

Subs: Hadler (GK), M.Dickenson, Oldaker, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, McDonald, List

With Ryan Jackson, Paul Konchesky, Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald all having fitness test's, I have no idea, if all four will be in the squad tomorrow or none at all, Cody McDonald was on the bench on Tuesday Night so I think Cody will be on the bench and Paul Konchesky will start at Left Back, I don't like the idea of Josh Pask at Right Back, but I rather play Josh Pask at Right Back and play Scott Wagstaff in his more natural position, then play Scott Wagstaff at Right Wing Back.

Josh Wright will start, which has no reflection on Darren Oldaker's performance on Tuesday Night - who I thought was one of Gillingham's Better Players against Chesterfield - but I think Josh Wright will come back into The Starting Line Up, having not played against Chesterfield.

I would also tell our players that kick off is at 2.15PM, Just so that we start the match at 3PM and not 3.45PM, Gillingham were awful in The First Half and much better in The Second Half, and yet, we conceded more goals in The Second Half against Chesterfield then we did in The First Forty Five Minutes, Fingers Crossed that Gillingham can win tomorrow and start to get back in the playoff places - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby baronnight » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:02 am

With the changes to the loan system ' no emergency loans' this could be a funny year for teams who suffer injury problems, we have obviously been one of those teams. Where in previous seasons September has seen struggling teams change their fortunes with 1 or 2 loans in September/October, this year requires teams use squad rotation 'often youth players' to fill any gaps. Our defence has been one of the areas where we have lacked any consistency, but because we have chosen to use midfielders to fill the gaps it has also left the midfield unsettled.
I am waffling on because I don't have a clue what team is likely to play, what Gillingham is likely to turn up, whether we will play a blinder, or give Wimbledon a 2 goal head start.
I'm going to go for a 3 - 2 Gills win, so expect a boring 0 - 0.
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:48 pm

A clean sheet?! I'll take it. Its another odd looking lineup, we are going to come a cropper at some point with these. How on earth we got 3 and a draw on Tuesday I don't know! No Wagstaff today.

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Dack off injured after 14 minutes. Another injury after just a few minutes of the game! Losing a lot of early injuries of late.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Losing another game we should have won today by the looks of it, Maidstone and Dover both getting thumped, GO Bromley, is that still in Kent ??
Last edited by gillsfan1066 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:01 pm

We cannot keep giving away leads and chasing games. We cannot keep giving away penalties. We are still doing OK compared with other seasons, it sounds worse than it is but if we don't start competing more in games and letting in fewer goals, we will do what we did last season and a lot sooner!

He still hasn't decided who goes where! It was Oldaker's turn to replace Wright today (who was an un-used sub) again after it was Byrne's go on Tuesday. Hessy was on the bench but hasn't played a single minute of any of the past 7 matches and played in 1 of the last 12. He CAN play that role! All the changing about is causing uncertainty that then puts more pressure on the defence. To not use fit senior players when we are down the bare bones is criminal.

Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Holmes, this is dreadful, what's to be done ?
Watson, I firmly believe we must strengthen our defence.
Amazing Holmes, I don't know how you do it
Watson I believe the villain to be a short, squinty-eyed miser, with several million air miles and a large bank account.
Astonishing Holmes, let's check our season tickets for sticky fingerprints.
Rimshot

Next

Return to Match Discussions