[ 21 Sep 16 ] Tottenham Hotspur v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Jonathan Bond
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
50%
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Cody McDonald
50%
Stuart Nelson
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 21 Sep 16 ] Tottenham Hotspur v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:45 pm

This is Tottenham's first game in the league cup this season. Their only match last season saw a 3rd round 2-1 home defeat to Arsenal.

The Gills have met Spurs only once in top level football. Braces for Steve Archibald and Garth Crooks saw them take a 4-2 victory at Priestfield in the League cup in 1983.

Despite only 1 senior meeting, the sides have met 26 times between 1897 and 1908 in the Southern League. The Gills lost all 13 away games at Spurs.

This is only the Gills 9th appearance in this round of the cup since its formation in the 1960/61 season and our first appearance since the 2005/6 season.

6 of the 9 teams faced in this round have been top flight sides (including Spurs in the 1983 defeat). The Gills made it to Round 4 on 2 of those 9 occasions.

8.01 Kick-Off
The starting 11 for Spurs have made 27 combined appearances this season with only 14 starts between them. Winks and Carter-Vickers make full debuts.

Jonathan Bond goes off injured and is replaced by Stuart Nelson in goal.

GOAL! Tottenham 1-0 Gillingham: Eriksen

Adedeji Oshilaja clears off the line for a corner.

8.49 Half-time: 1-0
Spurs lead the shots at goal from the first half by 17 to 2 - on target it is only 5 to 0.

The Gills have now failed to score in the first half of 4 cup games this season conceding 4 goals in the process however they scored 6 and conceded just 1 in 3 second halves.

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Tottenham 2-0 Gillingham: Eriksen

Penalty to Tottenham, conceded by Oshilaja.

GOAL! Tottenham 3-0 Gillingham: Jansen (pen)

GOAL! Tottenham 4-0 Gillingham: Onomah

GOAL! Tottenham 5-0 Gillingham: Lamela

9.51 FULL-TIME: 5-0

Attendance: 26,244 (2,944)
Referee: David Coote
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 21 Sep 16 ] Tottenham Hotspur v GILLS Match Thread (cu

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm

Never thought I'd see that as a headline! I'm going into hiding until it's all over.
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:04 pm

I am not going to the game with my wife working that night.I hope everyone who is going enjoys the occasion.As long as we don`t get hammered 6-0 or more then we can come out as winners with the money we get from the gate.Spurs will be missing some key players,but the ones who will replace them are equally as good.If we could take the lead that would be interesting.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 am

Pack 7 in the box and pray ?? Speed is the one thing that Gillingham have to overcome, they will find Spurs players everywhere closing them down fast . In the old days I would have said play for the draw and bring them back to Gillingham ,but I guess that doesn't happen in 2016 does it, why should the big boys help the small guys make a few bucks ?
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:33 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

-------------------------------------Bond----------------------------------------
---------------Ehmer---------------Pask-----------------Oshilaja-----------------
Jackson--------------Byrne---------------------Wright-----------------Konchesky
------------------------------------Osadebe------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-------------------Dack-------------------------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), M.Dickenson, Oldaker, Knott, Wagstaff, Emmanuel-Thomas, List

Although I have named this as a 3.4.1.2, it is probably going to be a 5.3.1.1 with the three central midfielders keeping things compact in-front of Max Ehmer, Josh Pask and Adedeji Oshilaja, and Bradley Dack dropping deeper, Emmanuel Osadebe will most likely be given the freedom to join Bradley Dack and Cody McDonald in attack, as Emmanuel Osadebe has the energy to break in-between the lines, and possibly later on during the game, Bradley Dack will play this role when Jay Emmanuel-Thomas comes on, I wouldn't start Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, but I can see him being involved at some point during the game.

Tottenham's Team-Sheet will still contain International Players, even if Mauricio Pochettino makes eleven changes from the team that played against Sunderland at the weekend, how those players perform and how Gillingham Perform on The Night, will have a huge influence on the result, I just hope we have a moment of celebration during the game and Gillingham score, 1-0, 1-1 or even a consolation goal like 2-1, which gives us hope that Gillingham can pull off the most unlikely of cup upsets.

But I just cannot see it, Mauricio Pochettino will want to win The League Cup, even if his priorities are on The Champions League and making sure Tottenham qualify for The Champions League Next Season, Tottenham will still want to win some silverware and there not going to take Gillingham, or any lower league team lightly, I just hope that Gillingham can keep Tottenham quiet for the opening twenty minutes and build our way into the match from there - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Anyone following this game on here or on the computer or what ever ?? 220 TV stations and not one EFL game on, bastards. can not find the game on TV,they have no What happened to Nelson and still O-O after 20 minutes , GO GILLS
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Stop stop call the game, we don't need any more of this, even worse Accrington are holding West Ham 1-1 just a few miles down the road. How many people at at the game, at least we should get a pay day out of this humiliation.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 pm

30 shots at goal to our 6. Ouch. One way traffic. A few seemed to be watching live streams but when I clicked the link all I got was a small screen with an advert covering it that created a pop up when I clicked to exit the ad. Not trusting that. Glad I didn't watch in the end. We have lots of creativity in the side, plenty of individual skill but virtually no fight or ability to gel as a cohesive team.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:16 pm

A comfortable Spurs win from listening.They seemed to open us up easily,as you would expect.A shame that Bond had to go off as he has been impressive.Nelson came on so the shirt is his I would imagine for a while now.I guess he deserved to play some part for his great display at Watford.It looked like Eriksen`s shot was unstoppable from the highlights.Peter Lloyd said from his view there was nothing Nelson could do.To go in at half-time only 1-0 down was a positive as they created around 10 first half chances,but poor finishing let them down.Early second half the game was killed off with two quick fire goals from Spurs.Eriksen doubled the lead,and shortly after Oshilaja gave away a penalty for Janssen to make it 3-0.The game was killed off then,but Onomah and Lamela added two more goals to make it 5-0.It sounded like Spurs eased off a bit after as we had more of the ball,and there were even ole`s coming from the Gills end.It was always likely to be a thrashing at Spurs,but i`m proud of the support tonight who never stopped singing even at 5-0.Hopefully we wont let this result affect us much,and we can get the three points at home to Coventry on Saturday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:29 pm

Vital 3 points Saturday! Especially against a side that can't score (but aren't conceding many either).

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions