[ 10 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Bradford Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Jonathan Bond
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Max Ehmer
33%
Adedeji Oshilaja
33%
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
33%
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Elliot List
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 10 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Bradford Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:56 pm

The Gills edge the wins against Bradford 22 to 12 and have won the last 3 meetings (as well as being unbeaten in 5 against them).

The Gills have conceded the most goals in the division (12) before today's game whilst Bradford have conceded the least (4).

Bradford conceded just 13 first half goals last season, the joint fewest in League 1. In 52 regular league games, the total is 15 conceded to the Gills 38.

Bradford had the second best defence last season letting in 40 goals. Their 22 clean sheets was the joint best total in the league (they have conceded 4 and kept 2 clean sheets this season).

Bradford are unbeaten* in all 8 of their matches this season. winning 4 and are unbeaten in 11, winning 7 (*"losing" only on pens).

City led away for for 174 mins (only 15 at home) and have yet to go behind (106 mins behind at home). Both totals are the best in League 1.

9 of Bradford's last 10 away league games have seen each of the sides score 1 at the most in the game (0-0, 1-0 or 1-1). City's win at MK Dons saw them score twice to win 2-1.

The Gills have won 6 of the last 11 ties whilst Bradford have won just 1. In those 11 games, City scored just 7 goals to the Gills 16.

3.02 Kick-Off

Goal! Gillingham 1-0 Bradford City: McDonald

Goal! Gillingham 1-1 Bradford City: Hiwula

3.48 Half-time: 1-1

The second half begins.

Scott Wagstaff comes on for his Gills debut.

Red Card! Ryan Jackson (Gillingham) receives a second yellow card.

4.54 FULL-TIME: 1-1

Position: 10th
Attendance: 5,079 (377)
Referee: Graham Scott
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 10 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Bradford Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Another home game against tough opposition.Bradford are still unbeaten in the league,and got a decent point at Millwall last week.Hopefully we can bounce back from last weeks defeat to Sheffield Utd,where defensive mistakes cost us what would have been a good win.From Edinburgh`s press conference Dack will be missing for a couple of games to get back to full fitness.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

-------------------------------------Bond----------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Ehmer--------------------Oshilaja-----------------Konchesky
------------------------------------Wright-----------------------------------------
---------------------Byrne---------------------O'Hara-----------------------------
-------------------------------------Knott-------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Emmanuel-Thomas-----------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), Pask, Oldaker, Osadebe, Wagstaff, Dack, Donnelly

Other then Jamie O'Hara in for Bradley Dack and Scott Wagstaff on the substitutes bench, I am predicting very little change from the team that started against Sheffield United on Sunday, time for Jamie O'Hara to start, and I can see Bradley Dack being used as an impact substitute until he is back to 100%.

Bradford City will be difficult to play against tomorrow, but hopefully Gillingham can pick up all three points - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Need a]bounce back win today a 0-3 thumping would really show us what we have got at Priestfield. Come on Gills big 2 or 3 -0 win for us would be great. Go Gills
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Just a listening job today on Gillsplayer (When it eventually came on).It sounded a positive start,then Cody scored to put us 1-0 up.After Bradford seemed to be the better side and did sound very dangerous on the counter attack.Their goal was expected sadly before half-time.No goals in the second half,but they did sound dangerous still with their quick attacks.From the commentary we had the best second half chance when Ehmer`s goal bound shot was brilliantly blocked from going in.A point is probably a good result for us today.Bradford are a much better Team this season,and are still unbeaten in the league.A shame Jackson got sent off,which means someone like Osadebe will have to play right back at Port Vale next week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:36 pm

A good point today against one of the best sides in the division . Going to be tough to get promoted this year me thinks , but Bolton and Millwall also only picked up a point today , but watch out here comes Sheffield United, and I think Charlton will make a run.
Going to be a lot of fun if we can be sitting in the top five or six come Christmas. Looking forward to seeing the results against Port Vale , playing them for the 539 time so a win there would be real nice . GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:18 am

Unfortunately guys if we're going to be promotion challengers we have to do far better than struggle to get a home point against the likes of Bradford. If we were struggling at the foot of the table I'd agree with your posts but we apparently have some pretensions to be better than that.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 am

Were only seven games into the season , and three points out of an automatic promotion place, I'll take that for now. Apart from the Scunny thumping ,and we all know there is going to be one or two of those cock ups each year I think were chugging along quiet nicely, and with about 117 points left to play for.I am not worrying about anything in September, I knew this was going to be a tough month, but what goes around comes around, we will get those home games against the cellar dwellers later in the year when some of the top teams are playing each other and getting 0-0 , 1-1 draws.
Start doing the chicken little bit if we get thumped by Port Vale , but I expect us to at least pick up a point there, three against Coventry and three would be nice at Chst'flld, so lets see what happens this month , coming out of September and collecting 8 points would be great.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:22 am

Bradford were good, very good, and if they continue like that will probably win the league. They had two chances that should have clinched victory for them. We didn't look too bad, better than in some games, but I think we are still trying to work out what our midfield is and how to play every one. Players have been dropping deep, in the last game we had Dack and Emmanuel-Thomas getting deeper and deeper until Cody ended up a mile away and players were misplacing passes because they were yards from each other. You can then add the full-backs to that when they are asked to push forward as well!

We need a bit more width to exploit the wider Priestfield pitch and ease congestion. If Jed wants it to the full backs them Garmston would have to replace Koncesky at left back. We have an embarrassment of riches in midfield and players that were seemingly wide for previous clubs all seem to capable of playing the Dack role but Dack stayed! I don't know what our midfield is supposed to be - does Jed?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:04 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/150444376877/fom-blog-gillingham-1-1-bradford-city

Here is My FOM BLOG For The 1-1 Draw against Bradford City - Enjoy.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions