[ 4 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Jonathan Bond
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
50%
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
50%
Billy Knott
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes
Jamie O'Hara
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 4 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm

The Gills edge the wins 10-9 and are unbeaten against Sheffield Utd in their last 3 meetings without conceding a goal against them.

Both sides are 1 of 5 League 1 clubs looking for their first clean sheet of the season. Utd haven't had 1 in 7 games whilst the Gills haven't had 1 in 11.

The Gills have conceded the first goal in 13 of their last 14 games (the previous 13 took 28 games to occur). Utd are the only side yet to score first in the division.

The Gills have won the last two meetings at Priestfield against Sheff Utd (4-0 and 2-0) but Utd won 4 and drew 1 of the 5 ties here before them.

Sheffield Utd's 2-1 win at home to Oxford was their first win in the league for 8 matches, 5 of which ended with defeats.

Sheffield U have lost their last 3 away league games and 7 of their last 10 on the road after previously losing only 2 from 14 following their 4-0 loss at Priestfield.

Sheffield Utd have previously been behind for 235 minutes in the league (the most in the division after 5 games) and have only led for 17 (the least in the division after 5).

2.17 Kick-Off

Cody through on goal and stopped by 'keeper Moore

Goal! Gillingham 1-0 Sheffield Utd: Dack
Dack's goal was his 4th direct goal for the club making him the player with the most in the Gills squad.

Both sides have conceded more opening goals (after 5 games) than any other League 1 side. The Gills have won 2 from 4 and Utd 1 from 5

3.05 Half-time: 1-0

The Gills have now scored just 3 first half goals (conceded 9) but have scored 13 in the second half (conceded 5).

The second half kicks off.

Goal! Gillingham 1-1 Sheffield Utd: Freeman

Josh Pask concedes a penalty for hand ball.

Goal! Gillingham 1-2 Sheffield Utd: Sharpe (pen)

4.09 FULL-TIME: 1-2

Position: 8th
Attendance: 5,598
Referee: Darren Handley
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 4 Sep 16 ] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Don't bother worrying about the Gills, there doing fine, another win coming up against the Steel City this weekend, you kick back and enjoy your vacation.
Hows the rented caravan, no leaks I hope, I used to enjoy a day out at Leysdown on Sea, so relax and enjoy your stay.
Sorry what , tell everyone your where, oh OK but I don't know how to spell Kalimera Kriti Resort and Spa , and has Corfu got an e on the end of it ??
Last edited by gillsfan1066 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:49 pm

It`s nice to be back at home,and it`s a Sunday game this week live on Sky.I`m taking my son to his first game so hoping he can have better luck than my daughter who had 3 defeats out of 3! I`m not expecting a 4-0 win like last time,but hope we can get the three points.Utd have had a slow start again,but they surely have to do well soon after so many seasons in this league.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:02 pm

United have what should be a good team, they've now added 4 more this week from the Premier and Championship, I'm just hoping for the right Gillingham to turn up and we have a good chance to go 2nd in the table.
With the window now closed Jed needs to settle on a team and style and allow our lads to bed in, I'm hoping our defensive frailties are going to disappear as the players settle down.
baronnight

Postby bunburygills » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:02 am

I'm looking forward to this tonight, live on television in Australia, first time this year.Watched Peterborough v Swindon last night and thought the passing game was quite good, better than the kick and rush stuff I saw when I came over about 3 years ago. Here's to a good win.
bunburygills

Postby Rimshot » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:42 pm

GFC going nowhere.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:10 pm

I thought we started ok,but overall Sheffield Utd were the better Team.They had a good spell of pressure before we scored,which was a fantastic free kick from Dack! A few clubs will be wishing they made a bid after that goal.The second half was poor for us,but I think taking Knott off for Pask was the wrong decision.Knott was having a poor game,but O`Hara probably would have been the better substitute like for like.Even though Utd were better,both goals they scored were preventable.Jackson should have booted it clear straight away,but he hesitated and they ended up punishing us from that mistake.We did have a couple of chances,but you could see if anyone Utd would would score again as they put a lot of pressure on us.Again their second goal was preventable.I don`t know why Pask handled the ball like that.It was a clear penalty and Sharp punished us for it.I would have taken a point,but defensively again we have been weak.

I took my son to his first game,and he really enjoyed himself so that is one pleasing aspect from the game.He enjoyed seeing the Sky cameras about.Hopefully we can bounce back next week against Bradford.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:54 pm

I thought it was a good game, very even and with plenty of half chances to go either way. Once we got the goal I felt we were on top and Utd's wretched run looked to be continuing. I just didn't see us losing that and watching Pask's handball again you can only ask what on Earth did he think he was doing! Been an odd start to the season really. 1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats at home but 4 wins and 1 defeat away - not sure the last time our away form far outstripped the home one!

If this is us going nowhere winning 5 of out of 9 games then replicated over the season I'd happily take 30 wins come May! Our defence is shocking but every time we try to resolve we stop scoring (happened under Edinburgh and Taylor) so the question is do we try and do something about it or leave it be knowing we will often outscore the opposition but will get the 5-0 Scunthorpe results and ones like today? Personally in the pat 3 at the back has bizarrely let in fewer goals than 4 or 5 but that change seemed to have a negative effect today and it didn't work Tuesday night either. The players seem uncomfortable with it and I don't think Konchesky can play in it.

Garawa

Postby bunburygills » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 am

Well I was quite disappointed in the game. We started well and should have scored in the first minute. Dack's goal was a gem but overall he didn't look that fit. Em.Thomas could have slid a ball to Konchesky and he would have been through for a 1 on 1 with the goalie, but he hogged it and wasted it. Wright misplaced many passes and the gaps between the defence and midfield and then the front two got bigger, resulting in a lot of long balls over the top which were completely unproductive. It looks like we have some good players, and should do better but the system and style of play looked wrong. Pask looked very promising when he came on and I said to my wife how confident he looked for an 18 year old, then he did the most stupid handball. I thought the goalie looked good but my man of the match would have been Oshilaja. He looks quick and covered a lot of distance, never stopped trying. I must be a jinx on the team, I don't think I've seen them win for over 45 years.
bunburygills

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 am

That would be very dissapointing! We never conduct ourselves well enough on TV. Annoying.

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions