[ 6 Aug 16 ] Southend v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-thomas
100%
Cody McDonald
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Joe Quigley
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 6 Aug 16 ] Southend v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 pm

The Gills have lost 10 of their last 11 away trips at this level on the opening day of the season - the last a 4-2 loss at MK Dons in 2014.

Just 9 goals have been scored in last 6 ties between the sides at Roots Hall. 4 of those came in a 2-2 draw in March 2011.

The Gills are unbeaten in 4 against Southend. Both games last season ended 1-1 whilst the 2 in 2012/13 both ended in 1-0 wins.

The Gills edge the wins 42 to 36 against Southend and have won 4 of the last 11 meetings. Southend won 2 whilst the other 5 were drawn.

Southend ended last season with 5 straight defeats whilst the Gills ended theirs with 3 in a row (and 5 defeats from 6 games).

The Gills are looking for their first win in 8 games whilst Southend are looking for their first win in 7.

3:00 Kick-Off

3:23
GOAL! Southend 1-0 Gillingham

3:38
GOAL! Southend 1-1 Gillingham: Emmanuel-Thomas

Half time: 1-1

4:05
The second half kicks off

4:07
GOAL! Southend 1-2 Gillingham: Ehmer

4:39
GOAL! Southend 1-3 Gillingham: Osadebe

4:55 FULL-TIME: 1-3

Position: 2nd
Attendance: 8,141 (1,796)
Referee:
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 6 Aug 16 ] Southend v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Aaron Morris injured for the season.
New signing Lee Martin injured for the season.
New signing Scott Wagstaff and Bradley Garmston our for a few months.
Emergency loan system removed for this season so players must be in before the transfer window closes unless signing unattached players.
Plus side - Bradley Dack is still here (for a bit) and Cody McDonald is fit for the start for the first time in ages!

Going to be a worrying start trying to field a side, cannot afford any rush of heads!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Optimism is quite low after a poor end to last season.Injuries to key players like Martin,Wagstaff,Morris,and Garmston followed by poor results in pre-season hasn't help fan morale.We have sold 1,600 tickets so far,with more expected to be sold by Saturday.Hopefully we can get something from the game and get our season started.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Players that are out for the season, and long term injury's , am I right in assuming that Gillingham have medical insurance on them so that instead of GFC having to pay them the insurance company does, which gives us money to pay incoming players either on loan or what ever?
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am

Incoming players ? What incoming players ? So far as I can see we've acquired one old geezer in the hope that he can still break into a trot.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Now come on Mate be nice, Mr Lidbit isn't really an old geezer, you have to remember 60 is the new 40 in 2016, and apart from the woolen shirt and those shorts that went down past his knees , Mr. garwa said Lidbit looked pretty good during yesterdays practice session , twice he ran from the half way line to the goal line in under 33 seconds.
I like this J E-T signing from QPR, the guys seems to score goals where ever he has played, ( and he has played at a lot of places ), but I think he will bang in 15 or more for Gillingham this season and thats what we need.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Well I'm available but I won't be banging anything this season, that's for sure!
lidbid46

Postby baronnight » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:44 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:Now come on Mate be nice, Mr Lidbit isn't really an old geezer, you have to remember 60 is the new 40 in 2016, and apart from the woolen shirt and those shorts that went down past his knees , Mr. garwa said Lidbit looked pretty good during yesterdays practice session , twice he ran from the half way line to the goal line in under 33 seconds.
I like this J E-T signing from QPR, the guys seems to score goals where ever he has played, ( and he has played at a lot of places ), but I think he will bang in 15 or more for Gillingham this season and thats what we need.

I hope your right with 15 goals, his best form so far was with Bristol were he scored 24 goals in 82 appearances.
Lets just look for a winning start whoever scores.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:10 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson---------------Ehmer-----------------Oshilaja------------------Konchesky
------------------------------------Wright-----------------------------------------
-------------------Hessenthaler----------------Knott------------------------------
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Emmanuel-Thomas-----------------

Subs: Hadler (GK), M.Dickenson, Osadebe, Oldaker, Byrne, Quigley, Donnelly

The back five of Stuart Nelson, Ryan Jackson, Max Ehmer, Adedeji Oshilaja and Paul Konchesky picks itself and with Josh Wright given The Captain's Armband I expect Josh Wright will start every game unless he is injured or suspended, I am confidant that Billy Knott, Bradley Dack and Cody McDonald were all going to start so my only selection dilemma was Jake Hessenthaler or Mark Byrne in Midfield, or Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Rory Donnelly or Joe Quigley alongside Cody McDonald in attack ??? - I went for Jake Hessenthaler ahead of Mark Bryne as I was impressed with Jake Hessenthaler's performance in midfield against Leyton Orient and Jake offers Gills that combative nature which we need in midfield, and I went with Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, because quality players can build up an understanding with team-mates very quickly and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is A Proven Striker in League One, which is nothing detrimental to Joe Quigley or Rory Donnelly, I have picked Jay Emmanuel-Thomas to start, but he may not play the full ninety minutes.

With Luke Norris transfer listed, I don't think we will see him in the squad, and with the lack of defensive options available, youngster Mitchell Dickenson may well be on the bench to provide Gillingham with defensive cover, with Bradley Garmston, Aaron Morris, Scott Wagstaff and Lee Martin all on the treatment table, the squad is thin on the ground, and we clearly are going to need a few additions before The Transfer Window Slams Shut.

As long as Gillingham don't lose tomorrow then that will do, although it would be nice to get a win on the opening day of the season - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:13 pm

On paper , and I know we don't play the game on paper, I think this is a pretty good team , and providing we don't go down with any more injurys I see no reason why they can not take 10 or more points out of the the month of August , so by the time we play Sheffield we could easily be in the top half dozen.
gillsfan1066

Next

Return to Match Discussions