[ 8 May 16 ] GILLS v Millwall Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Stuart Nelson
67%
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
33%
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
George Williams
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 8 May 16 ] GILLS v Millwall Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon May 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Millwall have won 47 games to the Gills 27 but they haven't won at Priestfield since Nov 97. The Gills have won 7 since with another 3 ending in draws.

The Gills have ended the season with a home game in 42 of their Football League seasons and only lost 7, winning 25.

Millwall have only failed to score in 3 of their away games this season, the least amount in League 1.

Millwall have 16 clean sheets in the league but half have come in their last 14 games.

Millwall have won their last 3 league games but only 1 was in an away game where they have won once in 6 after 4 straight wins.

Millwall have won their last 6 at home and 7 of their 8 wins came there in their last 14 games. The 31 before saw 6 home wins but 9 away.

Before today, Millwall had scored 23 goals from their last 14 games (10 more than the Gills) and conceded just 8 (9 fewer than the Gills)

After 9 defeats in their first 23 games (taking 34 points) Millwall since lost 4 (and taken 44 points). Only Barnsley and Wigan earned more.

12:32 Kick-Off

12:45
GOAL! Wigan 1-0 Barnsley

12:52
Double save from Nelson ends with Millwall hitting the bar.

1:06
GOAL! Wigan 1-1 Barnsley

1:14
GOAL! Sheff Utd 0-1 Scunthorpe

1:20
GOAL! Wigan 1-2 Barnsley

1:23 Half-time: 0-0

1:38
The second half kicks off.

1:46
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Millwall

1:49
The Gills make a triple substitution.

1:52
GOAL! Wigan 1-3 Barnsley

1:55
GOAL! Sheff Utd 0-2 Scunthorpe

2:03
Millwall hit the bar.

2:08
GOAL! Wigan 1-4 Barnsley

2:11
The final 10 minutes of games is the only spell in which Millwall concede more than they score (8-9). It's the best Gills period at home (11-3).

2:16
Former Gill Marlon Romeo sees a straight red card for a fould on Dickenson.He leaves the filed in tears and will miss all play off games.
Neil Haris, the Millwall manager, is also sent off.

2:22
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Millwall: Egan

2:27
Penalty for Millwall, conceded by Brennan Dickenson.

2:28
GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Millwall.

2:29 FULL-TIME: 1-2
The Gills lose their 4th consecutive home game for the first time since October 2004.

Final Position: The Gills end the season in 9th.
Attendance: 9,375 (1,213)
Referee: Paul Tierney
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 8 May 16 ] GILLS v Millwall Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon May 02, 2016 1:53 pm

These are the games that will decide if the Gills extend their season or not. More than feasible the 3 below could all end in home wins and see the Gills take the final place! Milwall will be wanting a win too in order to ensure they get the second leg at home!

GILLS v Milwall
Wigan v Barnsley (Wigan are the champions and will be celebrating a title)
Sheffield Utd v Scunthorpe

Should the Gills do the unlikely then I can see Walsall (away to Port Vale) sneaking the last automatic spot and the play off would be against Burton (who travel to Doncaster)!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed May 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Well here it is,the last game of the season is here.We thought that the Millwall game would have something on it,and it has! For the last 10 games you can say they have all been massive games,but this is the biggest of them all.Nothing but a win will do if we want to make 6th place,also we need Barnsley & Scunthorpe not to win to make it.A sell out at Priestfield,with a hot day expected what can be better? The players and Edinburgh are all confident,so lets believe we can pull it off in this Sunday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat May 07, 2016 8:24 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
----------------Egan--------------El-Abd--------------Ehmer-------------------
Oshilaja-------------Wright-------------------Loft------------------B.Dickenson
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Samuel-------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Jackson, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, Williams, Donnelly, Norris

With Aaron Morris a doubt and Andrew Crofts still at Brighton & Hove Albion receiving treatment, I can see Justin Edinburgh playing three / five at the back against Millwall tomorrow and try and get Adedeji Oshilaja, John Egan, Adam El-Abd and Max Ehmer into the starting line up, Ryan Jackson isn't fully fit enough to start and we just haven't been able to plug that gap vacated in his absence, as Oshilaja is the quickest and most comfortable on the ball, then we can expect to see Oshilaja playing as A Right Wing Back.

Doug Loft's performance was one of the few positives from our defeat against Burton Albion, and the experienced midfielder just hasn't been fit enough this season, Dominic Samuel will probably start alongside Cody McDonald again in attack, I just hope we don't pick up two injuries in the opening fifteen minutes like last Saturday.

I really hope that there isn't any trouble before, during and after the game, so for anyone going to the game tomorrow, you may want to be on the look-out just to make sure that you avoid any potential clashes among supporters, hopefully the match passes by without much incident to talk about and Gillingham pick up all three points tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:26 am

OK folks, your own your own, it's 6.30 our time, 12.30 your time, I am off to play golf, have checked and double checked, got my I phone, packet of Polo's , $27 can of coke, bloody great bottle of Irish Whiskey, burnt out credit card that might be good for one more round , score card and map of the course, can't eat breakfast, drank a little tooooo much last night, Daves going to come and pick me up in three minutes and then were going to meet Stan and Bob at the course, me and Dave will argue over who is better my Cubs or his White Sox baseball teams, (GO CUBS) then it will be kick off time for the Gills.
Dear God, Hi it's me, yeah I know,I know, when times are tough or I want something bad, yeah but man oh man have I been busy for the last , er like 30 years, well anyway this isn't for me OK, it's for all the guys back home in Gillingham.
I know your a Gillingham supporter, I saw you once in the main stand back in the early 60's, I saw you when Yeo scored that goal,remember, well please please please let Gillingham win today, and everyone else thats in the running for that 6th place loose, PLEASE.
If you do this for us, I promise Mr Lidbit will take it upon himself to single handily work 24/7 to solve the worlds hunger problems he promises, andf garawa promises not to ask any more stupid questions in his daft quiz things, ( by the way could you give him some sort of life, poor boys house bound) .
OK just one more little thing while I have got you here, ..............Mrs. L, remember that plague of hair you gave her for missing church on Christmas Day, well how about lifting that , she's a fine strapping woman, would make a wonderful second mate on a fishing boat going out of Whitstable, but with all that hair she is finding it difficult to get a job, gets caught in the winches, so if you could see your way to like say giving her a trim Mr. Lidbit sure would appreciate it.
OK then I will leave it in your capable hands , oh ioh don't go, how about me shooting say like a 75 today , just asking???
gillsfan1066

Postby shoutingman » Sun May 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Presume you didn't shoot anywhere near a 75 either..........................
shoutingman

Postby Rimshot » Sun May 08, 2016 3:15 pm

It would be hard to find a worse way to end a season.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:13 pm

I feel Gillingham FC and myself have so much in common, went out in 37, came home in 40 ****i*** 3 , just gave up stupid shot after stupid shot on the last four or five holes coming to the club house, went back to the car to get the phone, saw the Gills had lost and Wigan had thrown the game so they would be nearer to play Barnsley next season , not that I would claim they did , and am now at home with a six pack of Goose Island IPA, and if all goes well I will be fast asleep before her in the other room turns on that dam MIdwife show filmed in Chatham Dockyard.
Oh well another season comes and goes and Gillingham screw up again, how the hell do you sit at the top for half a season, then go 22 games since Jan 1st and only win FIVE, I am sorry that is one mans fault THE MANAGERS, he is not up to the job, and if Scally were a REAL CHAIRMAN Glasgow would be on his way out tomorrow morning before I had finished my first cup of coffee.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 am

I'm not sure where we go from here. A truly wretched run. We look nervous, scared to attack the ball when we were doing for fun before (and at the end of last season when after flirting with relegation would be harder to do so). We have a lot of players out of contract and next season need a bigger squad than this season due to not being able to bring in loan ones like usual. We are giving away leads left right and centre and always concede the first goal and always seem to be battling back into games. And to top it all its goodbye Dack and Egan. The close season will define Edinburgh as a manager as we would surely be relegation favourites. Mind you, we were this season. Come to think so too were Leicester!

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 am

Can anyone explain to me how the heck Wigan lost 1-4 at home as well?!?!?!

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions