[ 30 Apr 16 ] Burton v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat May 14, 2016 3:35 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
33%
Doug Loft
67%
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 30 Apr 16 ] Burton v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:10 pm

This is the 9th meeting between the sides. The Gills are looking for their first win away with all 4 wins against them coming at Priestfield.

Burton have won the last 2 ties scoring 3 goals in each. 4 of the last 5 have seen the winning side score 3+ after just 4 goals were scored in total from the first 3 meetings.

The Gills are unbeaten in 5 games away from home, their longest run without defeat on the road this season.

Burton's 3-0 win at relegated Colchester was their first in 7 however they are unbeaten in 8 at home (3 wins). Their last 4 home games all ended in draws.

Burton have conceded 6 goals in 11 home league games and in total have let in just 28 in 45 home games spanning 2 seasons.

The Gills 8 league blank sheets is the fewest in the league whilst Burton's 21 league clean sheets is the highest.

The Gills have scored 15 more goals in the second half whilst Burton have scored 14 more. Albion's 19 conceded in second half of games is the fewest in the league.

33 occasions saw a Burton clean sheet or blank sheet in one of their 44 matches. 5 of those ended with a 0-0 and all at home.

Burton's leanest defence (only 36 goals conceded) has helped Albion fans to witness the league lowest total of 91 goals from their 44 league matches, 30 fewer than the Gills.

Burton have been behind at home for 121 minutes in the league, an average of 5.5 minutes per game and the lowest in the league.

Burton lost 3 times at home on their way to winning the League 2 title last season. They have only lost twice this season and from 28 home games.

2:59 Kick-Off

3:15
Garmston and Morris have to be replaced due to injuries from separate incidents.

3:43
GOAL! Burton 1-0 Gillingham.
Burton have lost twice after scoring first, both at home, but ended up winning 21 of the 23. Their 91.3% win rate is the best in League 1.

3:47 Half-time 1-0
With 12 wins from 13 half time leads, Burton have the second best League1 record. Only Swindon have a 100% record (albeit from only 6 leads).

3:55
Burton are the only side in League 1 to have not found themselves behind at the break in a home game.

4:02
The second half kicks off.

4:06
GOAL! Burton 1-1 Gillingham: McDonald
Cody McDonald scores his 69th the Gills goal and his 42nd in the second half of games.

4:21
Barnsley equalise at home to relegated Colchester. The Gills drop back out of the play-offs once more.

4:48
GOAL! Burton 2-1 Gillingham.
Gills drop 4 points below the final play off spot.

4:52
FULL-TIME: 2-1

5:03
GOAL! Colchester score an 8th minute equaliser away to Barnsley. Barnsley (71 points), Scunthorpe (71) and Gills will now battle it out for the final play off spot!

Position: 8th
Attendance: 5,388 (723)
Referee: Tony Harrington
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 30 Apr 16 ] Burton v GILLS Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 pm

MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP, PPPPLLLLLEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE, make it stop.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 pm

2 more games then it will Chicago............or will it! Can't see us getting play offs now (trying to tempt fate)!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm

I have been saying it for quite a few games recently,but it`s another massive game.Saturday was the first time we have dropped out of the top 6 which is horrible so close to the finish line.We have two of the toughest games left with Burton away,then Millwall at home.I expect Barnsley to easily beat Colchester at home on Saturday,so we will probably need a win on Saturday.Burton will be looking to win as well with Walsall only three points behind them now.Our form away from home is decent at the moment with us unbeaten in 5 games on the road.Our squad is just about at full strength,so hopefully we can pull off a surprise result to take it to the last day.We all want to go into the Millwall game with a realistic chance of nicking 6th place.

How do we approach the game? I think we should look to be solid at the back first,and look to hit them quickly on the counter.Going gun ho at the moment has seen us concede quite a few lately.El-Abd,and Samuel might be back for Saturday.We have conceded a lot since El-Abd has been injured.I`m making the trip to Burton on Saturday for the first time,I hope we can have something to cheer come 4:50pm.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:05 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
---------------Oshilaja-------------Egan----------------Ehmer-------------------
McGlashan-----------A.Morris-----------------Wright-----------------B.Dickenson
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Norris--------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Jackson, Hessenthaler, Loft, Williams, Donnelly, Samuel

I would like to see Jermaine McGlashan and Brennan Dickenson play in the wing back roles, and both players probably will have to start in those positions as Bradley Garmston is out injured and Ryan Jackson isn't fit enough to play for the full ninety minutes, neither is Cody McDonald fully fit either, but I would start Cody and look to bring Dominic Samuel on with 20 - 25 minutes to go, we're carrying a lot of players who are either coming back from injury and lack match sharpness, or there are players on the treatment table having mostly played squad roles at there parent clubs - like Adam El-Abd and Andrew Crofts for example.

I am leaving for Burton at 8AM tomorrow morning, and hopefully we're all smiling come 5PM as Gillingham have picked up all three points - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Rimshot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:56 am

I've got great odds on a nice little double today...Gills to win and Pope to get married.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:57 am

READ ALL ABOUT IT, READ ALL ABOUT IT, Pope Francis to MARRY SIster Christina winner of The Voice in Italy. God was heard to say good grief, what is wrong with that man, marrying her when Madonna is available, and promised that a plague of goals will fall on Burton, Gillingham win 5-0 and roar back into the promotion race.
Very interesting race for the next two weeks, Gillingham must win one and at least draw the other to stand any chance, that way at least we end up with 73 points, Barnsley would look good for 3 against Colchester and then go to Wigan, so lets say 3 points for them total, so they end up on 73 points, Scunny play Port Vale and Sheffield, and Sheffield ( who a couple of weeks ago I thought were dead and buried ) play Coventry away then Scunny at home, so we could end up with Gillingham and Barnsley both with 73, Scunny with a win and a draw so they end up with 72, and Sheffield even if they won both would still only have 72 points no points today and were finished I fear.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:12 pm

4:52 Gills concede a final minute winner to drop 4 points below a play off spot.

12 minutes later and Barnsley, who were making the spot unachievable, concede a late winner and drop 2 points. Gills live to fight a final match showdown against Millwall! Millwall sit 3rd, will drop to 4th if Walsall win on Tuesday and could end up in 5th if they don't win on Sunday! They can't catch Burton now in the automatic spots so do they rest for the play-offs at Priestfield next week or try for a win to ensure they get a 2nd leg at home?????

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Hell if they put the Millwall Womens Team out to play us next weekend we would find a way to lose. We had it all, there in the palm of our hands and Glasgow has let it all slip away, it will take a miracle to get into the play offs now, and miracles seem to be is short supply at Priestfield.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon May 02, 2016 12:33 pm

A late report for me,but I thought in the first half we were too defensive,and Burton passed the ball around us with ease.Only poor finishing stopped them going in 3-0 up at half-time.We had a few chances in the first half Cody`s shot went across the goal,and Dack hit the side netting.Burton scored just on half-time with a tap in from Akins which was a big blow.We played a lot better in the second half,our pressure was eventually rewarded when Cody equalised in front of us.A quite similar goal to Burton`s first,and our end went mental with Beer and ketchup flying everywhere.We both looked for the winner,but unfortunately Burton grabbed it in the 90th minute which really hurt as we knew Barnsley were winning.The whistle went and we all walked out feeling glum,but news broke that Colchester had equalised in the 98th minute which cheered everyone up.We`re back in it which means the Millwall game has something on it now.It will go down to the final game,and it will be some game.

MOTM- I thought Loft was very good when he came on.His first appearance after coming back from injury,and he sprayed some really good balls out wide to Dickenson and Oshilaja.He kept us moving which we had been missing,and also did well in the tackle.Dickenson as well at LB was very good,his pace beat them more times than not,and his dangerous balls were a threat into the box.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions