[ 19 Apr 16 ] Rochdale v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue May 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Stuart Nelson
50%
John Egan
50%
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 19 Apr 16 ] Rochdale v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Both sides have won 13 ties with a further 15 ending in draws. The Gills have won the last 2 meetings and are unbeaten in 4 against Rochdale.

The last 3 visits to Spotland Stadium saw the game end in a draw whilst the Gills are unbeaten in 4. It ended 3 successive defeats at Rochdale.

Rochdale's defeat at Priestfield was the first of 8 in 24 league games for them and only 2 came from 12 home games (8 wins).

Ian Henderson (22) and Peter Vincenti (16) scored 38 of Rochdale's goals last season (45.8%) but have only added 24 this season (30.9%).

Rochdale have scored 12 goals in their last 4 home games and have conceded just 3 in their last 6 (4 clean sheets).

The Gills are unbeaten in their last 4 away games conceding just 1 goal in the process.

6 wins in 8 for Rochdale and 8 in 11 (2 defeats) have taken them from 16th two months ago to just 4 points off a play-off place.

Before today both the Gills and Rochdale had scored 38 goals from 21 home games, the most of any of the League 1 clubs.

7:47 Kick-Off
Bradley Dack starts up front with Luke Norris, the 12th different strike option of the season.

8:19
Rochdale have been caught offside 3 times already. 89.4% of Gills' games this season saw 3 or less in the entire match.

8:22
Stuart Nelson pulls off a great save.

8:33
GOAL! Rochdale 1-0 Gillingham.
Only Walsall and Rochdale remain unbeaten this season after scoring the opening league goal. Rochdale have won 14 and drawn 5.

8:35 Half-time: 1-0

8:40
When previously leading at half time Rochdale have won 10, drawn 1 and lost 0 this season but when losing at the break have won 0, drawn 1 and lost 10.

8:45
The Gills have gained 38.9% of points after conceding the opening goal (the best figures in League 1) which drops to 24.2% after half time (the 2nd best figures in League 1).

8:50
The second half kicks off.

9:22
GOAL! Rochdale 1-1 Gillingham: Egan

9:25
Rochdale have conceded the least goals in the final 10 minutes of league games (4) and have yet to concede any then in their home ones.

9:32
John Egan forces a great save from the Rochdale keeper.

9:41 FULL-TIME: 1-1

Position: 6th
Attendance: 2,385 ()
Referee: Kevin Wright
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 19 Apr 16 ] Rochdale v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:53 am

A tough trip to Rochdale on Tuesday night against a side who believe they can nick the last play off place.If they beat us they would be just a point behind us.If we win we can just about put Rochdale out of it.Confidence is low all around the club,but we will need a battling performance to get something.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Someone call the season NOW, lets not continue the pain, Rochdale 2-1 Gillingham.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm

A couple of months ago I would have called this as a draw but I really can't see us getting anything from it. I'll be delighted if we come away with a point.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:49 pm

I think we have to either go for it or plan for next year. A defeat and we will be gone almost certainly. A draw and we will be scraping over the line and the side that has been there all season only to just about stay there always lose comfortably and then struggle next season. At least if we do go for it and get a few wins we have a chance in the play offs and even if we don't go up, we'll go into next season with a bit of form.

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:29 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
---------------A.Morris------------Egan----------------Ehmer-------------------
Jackson--------------Crofts-------------------Wright----------------B.Dickenson
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Norris--------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), McGlashan, Garmston, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, Oldaker, Donnelly

With Adedeji Oshilaja and Adam El-Abd out injured with eye and hamstring injuries respectively, I can see Aaron Morris dropping into defence with Andrew Crofts and Josh Wright both playing in the centre of midfield, Brennan Dickenson should of started against Port Vale on Saturday, and you can make a case for Jermaine McGlashan to start if Ryan Jackson is carrying an injury (I think Ryan Jackson will start), John Egan, Bradley Dack and Cody McDonald are playing there way back to full fitness and Luke Norris is the only striker we have got who can hold the ball up and bring others into play - I agree that Luke Norris has to try harder - but four goals in his last eight appearances is an one in two strike ratio, and Luke Norris appears to play better away from home and scores most of his goals in away matches - only Cody McDonald has scored more away goals then Luke Norris.

It is essential that Gillingham win tomorrow night and move seven points clear of Rochdale (eight if we include goal difference), After The Sheffield United Match, Gillingham dropped out of the top four in League One for the first time, but we were six matches unbeaten with just one goal conceded, back to back home defeats has put huge pressure on the players to make sure that Gillingham don't drop out of the playoff places, if Gills get the result we want tomorrow night, Rochdale almost cannot catch us, but if Barnsley were to lose against Peterborough United, then we can open up the gap back to the points buffer we had ten day's a go.

Any win will do tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Sounds like we were fortunate with a draw at Spotland for the second season running. Could be a vital goal from John Egan but it sounds like Nelson pulled off some great saves. He has been sensational of late and possibly has been instrumental in the points we earned when we stopped scoring goals!

Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I think it's the best we could have expected, unfortunately with the way other results have gone I do not expect to be in the playoffs. Even if we manage to beat Shrewsbury (playing for survival) we'll get nothing from Burton or Millwall on our current form.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:37 pm

A very good point and a priceless one after Barnsley snatched a late winner.Only goal difference keeps us in 6th place with Rochdale,Sheffield Utd,and even Scunthorpe in with a chance still.It was gutting to concede right on halftime,then after it sounded like they would kill the game off.Egan popped up with a good header to equalise,and almost scored the winner but his header was tipped over.We're hanging in there,but need all three points against Shrewsbury on Saturday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Relying on defence to keep you in the game is a scary thing for the fans, wish we could get a couple in the net before the half ends, then it's OK to rely on the Great Blue Wall to stop them .
gillsfan1066

Next

Return to Match Discussions