[ 16 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Port Vale Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
100%
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Andrew Crofts
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 16 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Port Vale Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:39 am

The Gills haven't beaten Port Vale in 3 attempts (2 were draws) and a win would even it up with 16 wins each. There have been 17 draws.

Port Vale's 3-0 win over Crewe on Saturday was their first in 4 games (relegating Crewe to League 2). They have lost 3 in 5 overall in the league and 3 in 6 in away games.

Before Walsall’s opening goal on Tuesday, the Gills had only conceded 1 goal in 688 minutes (the equivalent of 7.6 games).

Port Vale have managed just 2 clean sheets away from home in the league this season, the joint fewest total along with Colchester.

Before today, 11 goal top scorer Ajay Leitch-Smith had managed 1 goal in 10 games whereas Luke Norris had scored 4 goals over the same number of games.

The Gills have scored 13 goals and let in just 3 in the final 20 mins of home games whilst Vale have scored 3 and let in 13 in the final 20 minutes of away games, their best and worst totals. 42% of the goals the Valliants concede come then.

The Gills have previously been behind for 225 minutes at home (11.3 per game on average), the 3rd best total in the league. Burton and Wigan have been behind for 220 combined.

12 of Port Vale's 15 defeats have come in away games, the joint highest amount of any League 1 side. Only Colchester have more (14).

3:02 Kick-Off

3:21
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Port Vale.
Port Vale have only lost 2 of the 20 games they scored first in but these came in just 7 away games where they managed 3 wins.

3:23
GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Port Vale.

3:46
Port Vale have a goal ruled out for offside.

3:52 Half-time: 0-2
Port Vale had previously led in just 3 away games (winning 2 and losing 1) however overall have won 10 and lost 1 out of 13.

4:08
The second half kicks off.

4:24
Bradley Dack has a goal cleared off the line.

5:00 FULL-TIME: 0-2

Position: 6th
Attendance: 5,887 (153)
Referee: Ross Joyce
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 16 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Port Vale Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Another home game on Saturday,and a chance to put Tuesday`s hurtful defeat behind us.We need to win the game to try and make the gap bigger between us and Barnsley who sit below us 3 points behind.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:05 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
---------------Oshilaja-------------Egan----------------Ehmer-------------------
Jackson--------------Crofts------------------A.Morris---------------B.Dickenson
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------McDonald-----------------Norris--------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Garmston, Hessenthaler, Wright, Osadebe, McGlashan, Donnelly

Up until we changed to a 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation, Gillingham V Walsall was still goal-less so I am hoping that Gillingham continue to line up with a 3.4.1.2 formation, several players put in below performances in The Second Half on Tuesday Night and John Egan coming in for Adam El-Abd is a like for like swap, I can see Brennan Dickenson coming in at Left Wing Back for Bradley Garmston, but the one real change I hope to see happen is Aaron Morris given a starting role because I don't think Aaron Morris deserved to be dropped out of the starting eleven, I have chosen Josh Wright as the player to miss out of the starting line up, whether this actually happens, we will see when the team is announced.

I know Luke Norris has his critic's - and I agree he has to work harder - but four goals in his last eight appearances is one goal every two appearances, a real shame he couldn't score from the penalty spot on Tuesday Night as that Gills might have won had that penalty gone in, but Rory Donnelly hasn't been impressive in recent starting appearances and Luke Norris is putting the ball in the back of the net at the moment.

Hopefully Gillingham can get back to winning ways and pick up three points as we look to secure A Playoff Place - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:15 pm

Big win today, THREE for the Gills and at best a point for Barnsley, and Millwall might only get a point so lets have a strong performance I find it amazing that with the season being so close to the ned ,players can come out of the tunnel and have a sub par performance, hope the hell when I have my heart attataccckkkkaaaccckkkaaccckkkck the doctors don't have a sub par performance.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Worst performance I've seen since we lost to Dover. Forget Championship football.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 am

I can only go on Gills player again,but it sounded like a good start,but we were caught out twice with two long balls.The finish for their first looks a really good finish,but for the second it looks like Wright should have got his head on the ball as it came over.The Team is really low on confidence,with nothing falling for us at the moment.We had more chances and possession as well.It`s the wrong time for this kind of form,and up next Rochdale who know if they beat us they would be a point behind.I think the Players and management should have a look at some of our earlier performances and see what we were doing right back then.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:24 am

About par for Glasgow, the second coming of Christ, same as he did everywhere he has been in the past, starts off good, then.........................
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH, this is what you get when you hire a manager who wants to be NEARER HOME, only one person to blame for this collapse....................GLASGOW.
OH WELL ,THIRD DIVISION FOOTBALL FOR THE 2016/17 SEASON COMING UP......................AGAIN.
The players will be happy, there not up to snuff to be playing in the almost big boys division, well done Gillingham, and another broken heart for Gills fans............WHY DO WE BOTHER ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:28 am

Jackson was idle and doesn't bother to track back ( see their second goal). Why on earth we have taken Crofts back I don't know. In midfield, apart from Dack, we are anonymous and Cody upfront is clearly not match fit.
They just took their chances well and closed us out with ease. It was really disappointing especially given the league position we hold.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:45 pm

I agree. Crofts is woeful in comparison and Jackson a long way off the player from weeks ago. I thought Cody looked lively but offered little. Can't honestly pick anyone who stood out. Yet again we were up for it in thes econd half once we were fighting to get anything out of the game. Why do we not do it in the first? Vale defended so deep in the end there was no way through. Rushing back key players is all well and good but the opposition can not only deal with them more comfortably but also we end up under or over hitting passes we might not have done with other players and therefore not create enough chances.

I was furious though that Oshilaja gets kicked in the face and ends up substituted with a closed eye and its no penalty! Anywhere else on the field and its a foul and least a yellow! Oshilaja, Williams gashed leg, Norris gashed leg, El-Abd head injury, Hessenthaler lost teeth all in the last 3 games. We got 5 yellow cards on Saturday for.........well hardly anything at all!!!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Match Discussions