[ 9 Apr 16 ] Sheff Utd v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Stuart Nelson
33%
Max Ehmer
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
33%
Adam El-Abd
33%
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Andrew Crofts
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
George Williams
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 9 Apr 16 ] Sheff Utd v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 pm

The Gills have won both the last 2 meetings with clean sheets against Sheff Utd taking their overall wins to 10. Utd have won 9 and there were 6 draws.

Before last season's 2-1 defeat at Brammall Lane, the Gills were unbeaten in 6 games there (2 wins). 3 of the 4 consecutive draws ended 0-0.

Sheffield Utd have won 4 of their last 5 home games but they, along with an away draw, are their only points in 10 league matches.

The last 13 games have seen the Gills score 1 more goal than Utd but whilst the Gills have remained constant, Utd have scored 11 in their last 6 games after just 2 in 7.

Sheffield Utd have the joint fewest home blank sheets (2) but have 7 in away games. 6 have come in their last 13 league games overall.

The Gills have conceded 1 goal in 5 games keeping 4 clean sheets. Sheff Utd have conceded 6 goals in 5 games keeping 2 clean sheets.

3:01 Kick-Off

3:03
Sheffield United hit the bar!

3:04
Sheff Utd were the only side not to concede a goal in the first 10 minutes of games at all last season and only let in 4 this season. The Gills have conceded 3 and 5 respectively.

3:52 Half-time 0-0
6 minutes of injury time played after separate head injuries to Hessenthaler (replaced) and El-Abd.

3:58
Utd hit the woodwork in the first half and could have been ahead. They had previously been ahead at the break in 28 games over the course of this and last season and had yet to lose (drawing 8).

4:08
The second half kicks off.

4:18
Gills denied a penalty for a foul on the line of the penalty area. All agree the foul was INSIDE the area.

4:41
Gills have the ball cleared off the line from what appeared to be handball - no penalty.

4:43
Utd's joint worst home spell this season is the final 10 mins where they have scored 2 goals let in 6. Their goals in last season's fixture came in the 87th and 97th minutes.

4:45
Bradley Dack makes his return, on for the substitute Williams.

4:58 FULL-TIME: 0-0

Position: 5th
Attendance: 18,152 (522)
Referee: Rob Lewis
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 9 Apr 16 ] Sheff Utd v GILLS Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Tough one, of course there are no real easy games at this time of the season, I sure hope Sheffield's memory doesn't go as far back as the first game of the season, wish we had won that say 1-0, I bet there manager has been thumping on about that 4-0 drubbing all week, lol. I can hear it now.........to Gillingham, ******* Gillingham, God Dam Gillingham, hahaha, bas>>rds can't even afford a covered stand at one end of that cow pasture, bunch of bloody travelers caravans on their training pitch, and you clowns did what, LOST 4-0, lol, whoo hoo, GO BIG BLUE.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:56 am

A tough game.At home they have won their last three games,their recent one 2-0 against Walsall.The game back in August at Priestfield was a fantastic result with us winning 4-0,but I don`t expect another win like that on Saturday! I would be pleased with a point,but we`re capable of winning.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:56 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
---------------Oshilaja------------El-Abd---------------Ehmer-------------------
Jackson--------------Crofts------------------Wright-----------------B.Dickenson
-------------------------------------Dack--------------------------------------------
---------------------Donnelly-----------------Norris--------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Egan, Garmston, Hessenthaler, A.Morris, Williams, McDonald

Although it is harsh on Aaron Morris, I can see Bradley Dack starting in the central attacking midfielder role as a midfield trio of Andrew Crofts, Aaron Morris and Josh Wright didn't create many goal-scoring opportunities in The 0-0 draw against Coventry City Last Saturday - but they must be given there praise for providing Gillingham with defensive solidarity, and Aaron Morris may well the player to make way so that Bradley Dack starts, if Dack starts I cannot see him playing the full ninety minutes, but will Justin Edinburgh risk starting two players who need to come off, as Ryan Jackson cannot play the full ninety minutes at the moment either ???

Other then Bradley Dack coming in for Aaron Morris and Dominic Samuel not in the match-day squad because of injury, I am not expecting many changes from the team that played against Coventry City Last Weekend, a draw away at Sheffield United would be a very good result, but I think Gillingham can do with a win, just to increase the gap between ourselves and Barnsley, who are only five points behind us and if both Gillingham and Barnsley win, then that gap remains at five points but there is one round of fixtures less to play - Here's hoping that Gillingham can pick up all three points away at Sheffield United - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:48 am

I can see either Williams up front with Norris and Dack behind or Williams in the Dack role with Bradley on the bench.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:49 pm

garawa where the hell are you, (probably drunk again), I can't get any info other than score 0-0 and team selection, but it shows Hessy is off, is it a red card ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Did you not see me updating the timeline above? Ha ha. A fair few chances to start with.

Hessy went off after a challenge sounded like he lost a tooth.
Another injury that saw a head would to Adam El-Abd (all before half time).
Then Norris was booked for wanting to come on after he had his leg gashed open. I'm not saying Utd were rough but................

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Well if they were rough we couldn't have been much better, five yellows ?? At least Barnsley lost, although I guess we slip into 7th spot tonight (your time) , well this doesn't make the Walsall game a big one does it , lol , thats Tuesday night am I right ?? Is it on TV there and was this a point gained or two lost ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:29 pm

I had us losing but I didn't have the other losing so very much one gained, especially against a side still able to make the play offs. This pretty much ends it for them. Win our game in hand and we are 3rd with the same number of games played just 5 behind Burton in free-fall! Walsall will be desperate to stop us so that game is one of the biggest in years!

That said, our defence is tremendous now but, as we always do, we stop creating chances. I think its 3 shots on target in 3 games, that's not good enough and must improve. It won't be good for the health but it might better if we went back to winning 3-2 instead of drawing 0-0!!!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:44 pm

It sounded very much like we were hanging on for a point,but a very pleasing point and another clean sheet.5 clean sheets out of 6,all the clean sheets with El-Abd in the Team.Hessenthaler lost a tooth or two,Ehmer wearing a face mask,and El-Abd with a cut head shows how committed the players are to the cause.Nelson pulling off a couple of fine stops as well.Three unbeaten away now,and six altogether so we have turned the corner.Unfortunately Millwall & Bradford won which pushes us down to 5th,but Burton & Walsall lost.If we win on Tuesday we go up to third and only 5 points off Burton,so Tuesday is a massive game for the club.Also a win could put us further ahead of Barnsley.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions