[ 2 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Coventry Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Max Ehmer
25%
Adam El-Abd
75%
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Andrew Crofts
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
George Williams
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes

Total votes : 4

[ 2 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Coventry Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

The Gills have the best home record in League 1 and it alone would place them in 18th position without any away games counting.

Coventry have had 6 blank sheets away from home, 1 more than the Gills in total. Overall they have failed to score in 11 games.

After previously conceding 7 goals in 218 minutes of football, The Gills have since conceded just 1 in 441. 3 of the Gills 12 clean sheets this season have come in the last 4 games.

The previous 2 Gills ties with Coventry at Priestfield have seen 6 penalties awarded (3 for each side) and all were converted!

Former free-scoring Coventry have failed to score in 4 of their last 7 league games managing just 3 goals in total.

After their 6-0 win against Bury, Coventry have only won 1 (and lost 6) of their 8 matches since.

Coventry were 4th when they beat Crewe 5-0 away and had 47 points from 25 games. They have taken a further 9 points from the 14 games since.

Our last 4 meetings with Coventry have generated 16 goals and the last 8 meetings have seen 34 (16 for the Gills and 18 for Coventry).

3:02 Kick-Off

3:48 Half time: 0-0

4:05
The second half kicks off.

4:36
Coventry hit the bar.

4:50
Coventry hit the bar.

4:53 FULL-TIME: 0-0

Position: 4th
Attendance: 7,200 (678)
Referee: Christopher Sarginson
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 2 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Coventry Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:28 pm

This could be the game of the season so far, I feel without a win at GFC next week Coventrys goose is COOKED for this season, you can almost see that line being drawn in the sand under Rochdale especially with Millwall going 2-0 up inside 30 minutes against Burton, those that will be there at the end and those that won't, AND WE WILL.
I think if I had to pick, Bradford C would be the team I would like the Gills to play, they don't seem to be able to score, there GD is 7 and ours is 21, Millwall is the team I fear most at the moment, another great win today but picking up four yellows wasn't that clever. GO BIG BLUE.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Very good point about Coventry 1066. They will almost certainly be out of the equation if we win. Hope they aren't that desperate on Saturday!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Five of the remaining eight games are all at Priestfield.Coventry have really gone off the boil since the end of last year,which is the big surprise after they thumped us at the Ricoh Arena.They have lost their last two games,but they do have great quality in the side which we have seen.All the games are big now,so hopefully we will be right up for the game with a good crowd expected.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

Just to remind readers that the forum above this one in the list contains fixtures which then become results and a link beside the match takes you to these very threads we are creating each match. Over time they will become a library of information. I thought it would be interesting to look at this fixture last season. What a difference just over a year makes, amazing! (Note: The post at the link below contains 2 posts joined together so not all follow in order and was why the forums were changed last year).

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1584

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Sorry not a great believer in the past matches with a team were playing this Saturday, what we did last year or in 2013 has no bearing on this weeks game, different players, managers, coaches, like saying lets go to the Texas Steak House for dinner, it was great when I was there three years ago, only to find out the food this visit was crap, new owner, new chef, new staff, different cow, so past games against a team I don't think means anything.
Now the facts about the last five or six games and the comparison between Gillingham and Coventry I think means a lot, glad to read them ,makes me feel a lot more confident about getting 3 points this weekend.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:34 pm

But that's not what I said. I said what a difference just over a year makes. In that thread we had no manager, were worrying about results and a threat of relegation! Now look, its Coventry that are the ones starting to do the worrying!

Garawa

Postby baronnight » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Stop Armstrong scoring and we have a chance, we can't afford to let Coventry keep hitting us on the break as they did up there. Unlike a lot of the teams we've played, this lot do have the ability to score goals, defend properly and we will win 2 - 1.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:03 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
---------------El-Abd--------------Ehmer----------------Oshilaja----------------
Jackson-------------A.Morris-----------------Wright-----------------B.Dickenson
------------------------------------Crofts-------------------------------------------
----------------------Samuel------------------Norris--------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), McGlashan, Garmston, Hessenthaler, Williams, McDonald, Donnelly

I have stuck with the same eleven that fought hard to win 1 - 0 against Bury on Easter Monday, Ryan Jackson was substituted through cramp when at the time it looked liked that Ryan Jackson was substituted because he had picked up an injury and Max Ehmer has been given permission to wear a face-mask and both players should retain there places in the starting line up, the substitutes bench also looks stronger with George Williams back from International Duty and Cody McDonald back from injury, and it will only get stronger when John Egan and Bradley Dack come back into the first team squad.

Hopefully Gillingham can keep our impressive run going with a win against Coventry City tomorrow, automatic promotion is slim pickings at best, but Gillingham will want to go into the playoffs in good form and ending third or fourth in League One ensure's that Gillingham will have the second leg of the playoffs at Priestfield Stadium - and that is a huge advantage.

Here's hoping that Gillingham can pick up all three points against Coventry City - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!

John Marquis is scoring goals for fun at Northampton Town, he was superb for Gillingham towards the back end of last season and I don't think we have replaced him with any of the strikers Justin Edinburgh has brought into the club in the summer and during the season, as Rory Donnelly, Ben Williamson and Dominic Samuel are not your traditional number nine strikers.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 am

OK lets not get carried away he has scored five goals in the league I believe, yeah five we could have done with but not exactly carrying the Cobblers on his back to the championship.
gillsfan1066

Next

Return to Match Discussions