[ 27 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Chesterfield Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Adam Chicksen
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adam Al-Abd
No votes
Josh Wright
67%
Aaron Morris
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Dominc Samuel
No votes
George Williams
33%
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 27 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Chesterfield Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:11 pm

The visitors won the last tie here but the Gills have won the last meeting between the sides back in October (and edge the wins overall by 30 wins to 22).

Chesterfield are winless in 3 away from home and have lost 6 of their last 8 on their travels, failing to score in 4 of them.

Since the 10-0 victory the Gills went on to win just 1 home game from the next 8 against Chesterfield which was then followed by 6 wins. We are currently winless in 3.

Chesterfield won 2 league games (scoring 10 goals) that were sandwiched by 11 defeats in just 13 matches. They ended a run of 4 defeats and a draw Saturday with a 3-1 win over Crewe.

The Gills conceded 8 second half goals in their last 7 games after just 9 from their previous 25. Their 17 conceded in the second half is however less than half that of Chesterfield's 35.

Chesterfield have 4 clean sheets this season but all of them came in their first 16 games and none have come in the 16 since. The Gills have managed 5 in that period.

Since beating Chesterfield 10-0, the 17 games against them here at Priestfield saw the Gills score 17 goals.

Chesterfield have conceded the joint highest number of last 10 minute goals (11), scoring 5 themselves. The Gills have scored the 2nd highest number of last 10 minute goals (12) and conceding 6 themselves.

The winning side has scored 3 goals in 4 of the last 5 wins between the sides.

3:03 KICK OFF

3:26
Chesterfield have a goal ruled out for offside.

3:39
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Chesterfield.
Chesterfield have lost 4 games this season after scoring the first goal however they have won all 6 on the road.

3:49
GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Chesterfield.

3:52 Half-time 0-2

3:55
Chesterfield have only lost twice this season when leading at the break (same amount as the Gills) and have won all 4 away games.

4:07
The second half kicks off.

4:43
GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Chesterfield: Osadebe

4:57 FULL-TIME: 1-2

Position: 3rd
Attendance: 6,012 (199)
Referee: Kevin Johnson
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 27 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Chesterfield Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Hoping we can get back to home comforts after the defeat to Oldham on the road.We have a few injuries with Egan,Jackson,and Loft injured so the Team may be similar to at Oldham.Hopefully we can get a win and results go our way.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Jackson back I hope which in my opinion makes us much stronger.
lidbid46

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:58 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Chicksen------------El-Abd---------------------Ehmer------------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright------------------------------------------
-------------------Osadebe--------------------A.Morris---------------------------
----------------------------------Dack---------------------------------------------
-------------------Samuel----------------------Donnelly-------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), M.Dickenson, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, Williams, Norris, List

I think Adam Chicksen will continue playing at right back - but I have got my fingers crossed that Ryan Jackson is available because we have missed him recently - El-Abd should start alongside Max Ehmer in defence meaning that Aaron Morris will move back into his more natural central midfielder role - and Aaron Morris has been fantastic as a utility player for Gillingham over the past few weeks.

Dominic Samuel and Rory Donnelly will continue in attack, but Luke Norris must be pushing very close for a starting role as these two need to step it up a notch if they want to remain in the starting eleven, and I think that Mitchell Dickenson will be on the bench as he will provide Gillingham with some centre back cover.

Here's hoping that Gillingham can pick up another three points at home to keep The Gills in contention for a automatic promotion spot - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:18 am

Hessenthaler seems to have dropped down the pecking order of late. I don't recall him having a particularly bad game?

Garawa

Postby baronnight » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Hessenthaler has started 19 games this season and has a win rate of 56% in games where he has been involved.
Loft has started 13 games this season and has a win rate of 36 % in games where he has been involved. (the lowest of any regular starter)

Stats don't mean everything but they can give clues.
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:34 pm

I don't recall a point that he got dropped for a particular reason though. Terrible result, had tons of chances in the first half without testing the keeper and then found ourselves 2-0 down with their only real efforts. Good result with Burton and Walsall drawing but Wigan are strong and will take the title (who'd have thought that a couple of months ago) and even Millwall are finishing strongly and could take second. The playoffs could then consist of 4 sides all struggling for form if things stay the same (Gills, Burton, Walsall and Coventry) and if so we will have a chance. Otherwise a strong finishing side will take it and then we will face an uphill battle next season......probably without Jed, Dack and Egan!!!

Dack off injured today was a worry, hopefully just a precaution. We seem to be doing our best to throw it away!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:48 am

Mr Lidbit did, (see Cadbury Leauge predictions)
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:52 am

Bastard copied me.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:06 pm

I only saw the score as I was out,but a very disappointing result.We seem to be struggling against the lower sides at the moment,and key injuries don't help either.It was only our second home league defeat this season,but as we're not good away at the moment we have pressure to win at home.A big blow losing Dack,and if he is out for weeks it will really hurt us.At least we have another game on Tuesday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions