[ 13 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Barnsley Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Wright
100%
Doug Loft
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donelly
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Adam Chicksen
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes

Total votes : 5

[ 13 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Barnsley Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:42 pm

The Gills have won just 6 of the 29 meetings and Barnsley have won all of the last 6. The Gills last win against came back in August 2001.

A clean sheet has been kept 8 times in the past 10 meetings between the sides and there has 7 between them in 12 most recent league games combined.

Barnsley have won all of their last 7 league games scoring 20 goals and conceding just 4 in the process. 4 of their 7 clean sheets this season have come in their last 5 games!

After 2 wins in 10 away games Barnsley have since won all 4 on the road, their last 3 with clean sheets (all of their away league clean sheets so far this season).

Over their past 7 league games, Barnsley have 1 more win and only scored 8 fewer goals compared with their previous 22!

Before today Barnsley had conceded 2 goals in 4 straight away wins whilst the Gills had conceded 1 goal in 4 unbeaten home games ( including 3 wins).

Just 2 of the 12 (16.6%) home goals conceded by the Gills have come in the final third of home games but 10 of Barnsley's 25 (40.0%) away goals have come then.

A win would put the Gills just 1 point behind the total accrued in the title winning season after the same number of games played.

3:01 KICK-OFF

3:26
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Barnsley: Samuel

3:48 Half-time 0-0
When leading at half time the Gills have previously won all 7 at home in the league and when behind, Barnsley have lost all 5 away!

4:03
The second half kicks-off.

4:20
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Barnsley.

4:21
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Barnsley: Dack

4:53 FULL-TIME 2-1

Position: 2nd
Attendance: 5,887 (380)
Referee: Darren Bond
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 13 Feb 16 ] GILLS v Barnsley Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 am

Another home game for us,and this is not only against a bogey side for us,but also against an inform Barnsley side.They have won their last three league games.Their manager Lee Johnson has joined Bristol City,but that did not affect their result on Sunday as they beat Bury 3-0.I think we`re in for a really tough game,so we will need to be right on our game.

Gills Team? I would bring Hessenthaler in for Loft,who I feel does better off the bench.

------------------------------------Nelson------------------------------
---------Jackson----------------------------------------------------Chicksen---------
-----------------------------Egan-------------------Ehmer----------------
------------------------------------Wright------------------------------------
-------------------------Hessenthaler-------------Morris------------------
----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------
-----------------------------Samuel--------Donnelly

Subs: G Morris,Dickenson,Loft,Osadebe,McGlashan,List,Norris
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

don't want to worry you KFG but I think it's 7 win's for Barnsley in the league and 9 unbeaten in all competitions.
Can we actually get some shots on target this week? the last couple of games have seen us play well, without a cutting edge.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:55 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan----------------------Ehmer------------------Chicksen
----------------------------------Wright------------------------------------------
-------------------A.Morris-----------------------Loft-----------------------------
----------------------------------Dack---------------------------------------------
-------------------Samuel----------------------Donnelly-------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Garmston, Osadebe, Hessenthaler, Williams, Norris, List

I think Justin Edinburgh will stick with the same eleven that drew 0-0 at home against Swindon Town Last Saturday, but the biggest changes will be on the substitutes bench as Bradley Garmston should be back in The Eighteen Man Match Day Squad and new loan signing George Williams will also be on the bench as well, Brennan Dickenson and Jermaine McGlashan will be the players to make way - I think Jermaine McGlashan will be allowed to leave Gillingham on loan to get first team football elsewhere as McGlashan had gone from an very effective super sub last season to being surplus to requirements this season.

Barnsley are on an incredible run - winning there last seven league matches in a row - and it is going to take Gillingham at our best to prevent Barnsley from making it eight league wins on the bounce, COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Well that was nail biting! I thought we played much better and I also thought that Barnsley were a very strong opposition for us. It was a good match with lots of good football played by both sides. Barnsley started off very well but without too much menace and our defence handled their lively forwards very well. Egan and ehmer are forging a strong partnership and Garmiston was solid at full back. Aaron Morris made a more than useful stand in full back for Jackson- anyone know what happened to him today? Without question, josh Wright was correctly named as M.O.M. He was outstanding today, breaking up attacks, playing accurate short and long passes and was a constant irritant to the Barnsley players. Dack had a quieter than usual match although he was still effective and loft made some telling contributions. The forwards huffed and puffed and it was a moment of class from Samuels which unlocked the Barnsley defence for our opener. Even with that lead going into the second half we definitely didn't have a firm grip of the game with Barnsley winning too many corners and free kicks. The big hoof out of defence into our half still seems to cause a bit of panic and we were guilty of losing possession too easily at times. Going to sleep at a throw in and allowing such an easy equaliser was something which should not happen. But just when I was getting cross we showed character and charged back into the lead following a good cross shot from Donnelly and a determined follow up from Dack. That was when my nerves started to jangle as we went back into our area and just hacked the ball away. I would have liked to see more composure and control then but hey; who cares? A good win against strong opposition puts us back into second place which is ...awesome!!
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:30 am

Once again I went by Twitter,and it looks like a hard fought win.Two mistakes by Barnsley with their player passing the ball to Donnelly and Samuel finishes it.They equalised,but a great response from us to go back in front a minute later as their keeper parries a shot straight to Dack to finish.It looked like we were hanging on a bit at the end,but a very important win against a decent side who were in great form.Results went for us yesterday,so it`s good to be back 2nd again.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:00 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/139560203377/fom-blog-gillingham-2-1-barnsley

This is My FOM BLOG for Gillingham's 2-1 win against Barnsley.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions