[ 30 Jan 16 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Discussion

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Adam Chicksen
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Wright
100%
Doug Loft
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Elliott List
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 30 Jan 16 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Discussion

Postby Garawa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 pm

The Gills last played at Blackpool in August 2006 and have drawn each of their last 4 games there. Winless in the last 10 at Blackpool, their last win came back in April 1987.

Blackpool are unbeaten in their last 3 league games and have lost just 2 of their last 11 home league games.

Just 1 clean sheet has been kept by either side in the previous 12 meetings (the Gills in a 1-0 home win in January 1999).

Before today, both sides had conceded 35 league goals however the Gills were top scorers with 55 and Blackpool were second bottom with 27.

After letting in 9 goals in the first 4 home league games of the season, Blackpool have since conceded just 4 goals from the subsequent 10 (including 7 clean sheets).

Along with Wigan and Burton, Blackpool's 7 home clean sheet's is the joint highest total in League 1.

The Gills have the fewest blank sheets in the division (2) whilst Blackpool have the most (12).

When starting games as captain, the Gills have a win percentage this season of 70.0% with John Egan (and taking 76.7% of the points).

3:00 KICK-OFF

3:44
Penalty to Blackpool for a foul by Max Ehmer on Yeates.

3:45
GOAL! Blackpool 1-0 Gillingham.
Blackpool have only lost once from the 10 games they scored the opening goal in. It came in a home game however they won the other 6.

3:47 Half-time: 1-0
Despite their lowly position of 2 points off the drop zone, Blackpool have taken 8 half time leads eventually winning 5 and losing just 1 of them.

4:02
The second half kicks off.

4:52 FULL-TIME: 1-0

Position: 3rd
Attendance: 6,828 (499)
Referee: Andy Madley
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 30 Jan 16 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Discussion

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:16 pm

A long tip for our fans on Saturday,against a resurgent Blackpool.Their results have been a lot better since we played them back in August.They got a good draw at home to Sheffield Utd tonight as well,so it will be tougher than some think.I think it is a winnable game though as we`re 24 points ahead of them,and you have to look at the league positions.Both are fighting for different things this time of the season.Samuel`s loan deal looks likely to be extended before Saturday.

Gills Team? Garmston has tweaked his hamstring so I can see Chicksen starting,Donnelly missed the win against Peterborough and should be back.Norris played well and scored so I can see him keeping his place.Loft was very good when he came on for Hessy,so we could see him start as well.

------------------Nelson------------------------
Jackson-----------------------------Chicksen
-----------Ehmer--------Egan------------------
----------------Wright--------------------------
----------------Loft,Morris---------------------
----------------Dack----------------------------
-----------Norris-------Samuel-----------------

Subs: G Morris,Hessenthaler,Osadebe,McGlashan,Dickenson,List,Donnelly.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:03 pm

If Donnelly is ok I wouldn't leave him out. Also, loft has made several good appearances as a sub but not many quality performances when starting. Perhaps starting on the bench is his best position.
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

He has been impressive coming on, I hope not as a response to being dropped. The contrast has been quite big in a few games. Dickenson also did really well. Tough choice!

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:37 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan----------------------Ehmer------------------Chicksen
----------------------------------Wright------------------------------------------
---------------Hessenthaler-------------------A.Morris---------------------------
----------------------------------Dack---------------------------------------------
-------------------Samuel----------------------Norris---------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), B.Dickenson, Osadebe, Loft, McGlashan, Donnelly, List

Adam Chicksen should take Bradley Garmston's spot in the starting line up and even though it is great news that Rory Donnelly should be fit and available for selection for tomorrow's match, I would preserve with The Luke Norris and Dominic Samuel Partnership, although it is great to have Rory Donnelly on the bench if and when we need to bring him on - Elliott List also deserves a mention because he gives Gillingham the surprise element as not many people know about him, and Elliott List has a lot of pace.

Tomorrow is my first trip to Bloomfield Road as I have never seen Gillingham play Blackpool away from home before, so it is nice to tick off a new stadium, although The Kings Ferry Coach picks me up at 6.30AM so I am up nice and early for the long, long trip to Blackpool, so I am hoping that Gillingham pick up all three points tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby baronnight » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:46 am

Yet another tough game against a team whose league position hides their recent good home form, not sure what team we will put out but had to smile at Garawa with his tactful stat. "Gill's have won 70% of games when Egan has started as captain" sounds infinitely better than 70% win rate with Loft starting on the bench. :D
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Well I like to focus on the positives :-D

I may have to delete that one if he doesn't start as captain!

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:00 pm

YEP! Loft starts and as captain!! I'll leave the fact in but here are the stats with the following players STARTING as captain:

Egan: 20 games. 14 wins.
Loft: 11 games. 3 wins.
Nelson: 2 games. 1 win.

Garawa

Postby baronnight » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Yet another lose.

"Captain catastrophe"
baronnight

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:30 am

I only went by Twitter and the BBC stats,but it looked like a bad day at the office.No shots on target at all.Blackpool have become a better team of late with some good results,and keeping clean sheets against clubs in the top 10.You do get days like this,so hopefully we can bounce back against Swindon.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions