[ 23 Jan 16 ] GILLS v Peterborough Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Jake Hesenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
67%
Luke Norris
No votes
Dominic Samuel
33%
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Elliott List
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 23 Jan 16 ] GILLS v Peterborough Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:45 pm

With 105 goals between them from a combined 53 games it is the top 2 scorers in the entire football league going head to head with the Gills edging the goals 53 to Peterborough's 52!

Draws dominate this fixture and there have been 18 of them. A Gills win would make it 13 wins each.

The Gills did the "double" over Peterborough last season beating them 2-1 in both games and are unbeaten in 3 against them.

Posh forward Conor Washington moved to QPR this week. The forward has 15 goals in 31 appearances. Dack has 13 from 31.

Before today both sides had witnessed 177 league goals between them this season, an average of 3.3 a game.

Utd only lost twice in 10 league games but both came in their last 3 away trips where they scored 3 goals in total after scoring 9 from the 2 before.

No side has scored more goals away from home than Posh. They hit 5 goals on 2 occasions (at Crewe and Oldham) and in total have 3 of the 10 games in which 5 goals were scored in League 1.

A whopping 60 goals have been scored in the second half of Posh's 26 league games (a goal every 19.5 minutes on average) compared with 40 in the Gills' 27 (a goal every 30.4).

3:04 Kick-Off

3:29
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Peterborough Utd.

3:42
John Egan hits the post.

3:51 Half-time 0-1
Peterborough have won 8 of the 9 league games they led at the break. The other game was an away defeat.

4:08
The second half kicks off.

4:12
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Peterborough Utd: Norris

4:15
John Egan hits the bar.

4:21
Peterborough hit the bar.

4:23
Peterborough have a goal ruled out for offside.

4:27
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Peterborough Utd: Dack

4:39
Peterborough hit the bar.

4:58 FULL-TIME 2-1

Position: 1st
Attendance: 6,449 (534)
Referee: James Adcock
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 23 Jan 16 ] GILLS v Peterborough Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:44 pm

It is nice to be back at home,and this will be my first game of 2016.A very tough game in front of us as Peterborough are playing some good stuff under Westley.They have sold Washington for a few million,but have one or two lined up for Saturday.The games here against Posh are usually good games,so hoping it will be the same again.If we would win this game,we will all forget the two goal collapse last week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:01 am

Is today the day when we push on?
We have as yet failed to win against any of the top 6 sides, even if we reach the playoff stages it's pointless unless we can produce performances against these top teams.
Posh score plenty of goals and so do we, this match is going to be a battle of defences, ours need to forget the 2 recent collapses and strive for a clean sheet.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan----------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright------------------------------------------
---------------Hessenthaler-------------------A.Morris---------------------------
----------------------------------Dack---------------------------------------------
-------------------Samuel--------------------Donnelly---------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), B.Dickenson, Osadebe, Loft, McGlashan, Norris, List

I think we will stick with the same team that drew 2-2 against Doncaster Rovers last week, when we get to seventy minutes, I really hope that Justin Edinburgh decides not to substitute Josh Wright, today's match will have two out-comes, either the two top goal-scoring teams in The Football League serve up a goal fest and we will see a 5-3 score-line, or the match ends 0-0, as long as Gillingham win today then I am happy, I would like to see a clean sheet today but just cannot see that happening, so if we cannot get the clean sheet, then at least make sure we score more goals then the opposition to pick up all three points - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Wow, YET ANOTHER woeful first half and scintillating second!! 6 times now we have had to come from behind to win, its bonkers and not many teams do it that amount of times. It shows character and resolve but we should be more forceful from the start. To come from behind to win in 45 minutes, to see the away side have a goal dissallowed and hit the woodwork twice, for us to hit the woodwork twice and win against a side that is charging towards a play off win at least.....THAT is automatic promotion material to me!!!!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:17 pm

That was a really good game! I thought we started slow and Peterborough were playing some really good stuff,we struggled to get near them.When they scored I was thinking it could be another Burton result.Credit to Edinburgh as he made two good changes at half-time and it changed the game.Garmston we found out after was because he tweaked his hamstring,and Dickenson filled his place very well attacking down the left and defending well.Loft on for Hessy which showed us the Loft we have wanted to see.He played good balls forward and tackled well.Our equaliser was a class build up with Dack's fine ball down the line for Samuel to cross for Norris to finish.We looked much improved as Egan hit the bar,and Norris shot over before Dack got our winner.Peterborough were the best side I have seen at Priestfield this season,they passed the ball brilliantly,their one touch and movement was exceptional.If they had a bit more accuracy they could have scored 3-4 past us.They hit the post 2-3 times and hit a few chances just wide or over.They did show their Westley side at times as they wrestled our players,which they didn't need to do as they're too good for that.

It was a great advert for league one though with the two highest goalscorers in the country,and quite a few chances created.This win could be massive for us with us going back top even if it is only for a few days.You could see how much it meant at the end.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Rimshot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:57 am

Yes, great result and an all time series of firsts for me, Gills top of league 1, my birthplace club, Folkestone Invicta, top of Ryman 1 South and the side I used to play for, AFC Sudbury , top of Ryman 1 North. ( I should point out that AFC Sudbury was nowhere near its current standard when I was there !!).
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:49 pm

Ha ha. I believe the last 2 times we went up so did a few other Kent sides as well!!! With Ebbsfleet top and Maidstone second (ahem) as well as Dover in 5th in the conference, is this another promotion year for us if they are all doing so well?!?!?!

Garawa

Return to Match Discussions