[ 7 Jan 16 ] Wigan v GILLS Match Thread (LIVE: Sky)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Wright
40%
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Dack
40%
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Dominic Samuel
20%
Doug Loft
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes

Total votes : 5

[ 7 Jan 16 ] Wigan v GILLS Match Thread (LIVE: Sky)

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:43 pm

The Gills lead the head to heads by 14 wins to 13 and there have only been 6 draws. Wigan have won the last 2 home ties with the Gills and 4 out of the last 5 overall.

The Gills have scored the last 7 goals without reply during the past 3 games and have scored 10 goals in total in the last 4 with just 1 conceded.

Wigan's first half goal difference this season is +11 but their second half is only +2. The Gills first half goal difference is +5 but the second half is +15.

Wigan have lost their last 2 home games 0-1 after previously being 9 unbeaten at home. They are their only 2 defeats in 17 league games.

Just 20 goals had previously been scored in Wigan's 11 home games, the fewest of any League 1 side. 5 came in their 5-0 victory over Colchester.

Wigan had previously only let in 5 first half goals in their 24 league games this season, the fewest in the division. At home it is just 1 in 11.

Wigan have been involved in 3 of the division's 17 0-0 score-lines. Although they have managed 2 more clean sheets than the Gills (10) they have also had 5 more blank sheets (7).

7 of Wigan's 11 home games have seen them keep a clean sheet, the joint highest total in League 1.

Both sides have the 2 best league records in the final 10 minutes of matches. The Gills have scored 12 goals and let in 4 whilst Wigan have scored 13 and let in 3.

7:47 Kick-Off
The Gills start with Rory Donnelly and Dominic Samuel up front. We have won all 5 games they have previously started together.

8:00
Bradley Dack hits the post from a free kick.

8:11
GOAL! Wigan 0-1 Gillingham: Samuel
Wigan only conceded the opening goal in 2 of their 11 home games this season, both in their last 2 home games (defeats to Blackpool & Burton).

8:34 Half-time 0-1
Wigan were 1 of 3 sides in the division to have previously not been behind at the break at home all season. Overall they drew 1 and lost 3 when behind at half time.

8:57
GOAL! Wigan 0-2 Gillingham: Donnelly
Rory Donnelly scores his 8th Gills goal from his 13th shot on target.

9:08
GOAL! Wigan 1-2 Gillingham.

9:11
GOAL! Wigan 2-2 Gillingham.

8:39
GOAL! Wigan 3-2 Gillingham.
The Gills have won 7 games from losing positions and are on course the lose only the second from winning positions.

8:42 FULL-TIME: 3-2

Position: 2nd
Attendance: 7,923
Referee: Scott Duncan
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 7 Jan 16 ] Wigan v GILLS Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 pm

The main fact that I would like to see is that Gills have pulled off another amazing win!
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:52 pm

A tough game in front of the tv cameras.Wigan don`t concede many at home,so I would be pleased with a point.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:18 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan----------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright------------------------------------------
---------------Hessenthaler-------------------A.Morris---------------------------
----------------------------------Dack---------------------------------------------
-------------------Samuel--------------------Donnelly---------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Osadebe, Loft, McGlashan, Williamson, Norris, List

I think Justin Edinburgh won't be making any changes to Gillingham's Starting Eleven and we will keep to the same side that started against Bradford City on Saturday, but we have gone from only having Rory Donnelly and Elliott List available to Dominic Samuel's loan being extended by a month, Ben Williamson has returned from Cambridge United and Luke Norris should be fit enough to be named among the substitutes bench, so we have gone from limited attacking options available on Monday, to now having five attacking options available - and I haven't even mentioned Jermaine McGlashan or Brennan Dickenson either.

But with Adedeji Oshilaja going back to Cardiff City, there is no centre back cover on the bench and should John Egan or Max Ehmer pick up a injury tonight, then either Doug Loft or Aaron Morris will have to plug the gap and play as a make-shift centre back.

Fingers Crossed Gillingham can make it five wins in a row tonight - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Re: [ 7 Jan 16 ] Wigan v GILLS Match Thread (LIVE: Sky)

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm sorry; and posting so close to the end is probably a mistake; but I thought that was naive to say the least. I hate criticising Gillingham, but that second half was dreadful, panicky, lacking in confidence and more like poor second division football. If I can see exactly what is happening from my sofa, why the hell cant the players? When nelson is making errors like that, Garmiston is out muscled so easily and no one bothers to defend a last minute corner, how the hell do we expect to compete at the top? No need to give away that corner, but when you know it's the last kick of the game; concentrate! I have never really expected automatic promotion but two nil up twice and losing in the same season is unforgivable. And for pity's sake; never pit us on television again; it's really bad for my marriage!!
lidbid46

Postby Rimshot » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:40 am

This was back to the bad old days, so unprofessional and sloppy. I've posted before that we don't beat the better sides and here's further evidence. I haven't checked our goals against column recently but I suspect it wont make happy reading.
Rimshot

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Not a good performance I would agree but first defeat in five games..

It was quite similar to the Walsall game in that we started well; got the advantage and then didn't react to the changes made by the opposition.
Last edited by CadburyMan on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CadburyMan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:19 pm

A real gutting end to the game.Samuel finishing well to put us 1-0 up,but even in the first half Wigan were a real threat and missed a couple of good chances.Dack's free-kick was really well hit,he had their keeper beat but for the post.Once Donnelly put us 2-0 up I thought we would at least get something.Our defending for their three goals was poor,as soon as they pulled one back we were under real pressure.Nelson's mistake was a shock for their equaliser as he has been brilliant for us.And once six minutes went up you just knew we would concede.No one marked Morgan and he had a free header to finish it easily.Such a gutting end to the game where we at least deserved something.We have done this twice now after being 2-0 up,but it is a young group and we bounced back last time to be where we are now.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions