[ 28 Nov 15 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 28 Nov 15 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:24 am

The last time the Gills scored a goal at Shrewsbury was the last time they won there. Goals from Bailey and Onoura secured a 2-1 win back in October 1996.

The Gills have failed to find the net in their last 4 visits to Shrewsbury and have lost the last 2 games there 2-0.

Shrewsbury are unbeaten in their last 5 games against the Gills, winning 3 of them. In the last 9 ties they have scored 15 goals to the Gills 6 including THAT 7-0 victory.

Shrewsbury have no draws at home so far this season and have won 3 out of the last 4 league games there after losing 4 in a row at the start of the season.

Shrewsbury have lost 6 of their last 9 league matches but won on Tuesday evening by beating Sheffield Utd 4-2 away.

Shrewsbury have the 4th worst home points tally (albeit having played 1 or 2 fewer games at home). Only Chesterfield, Oldham and Crewe have amassed fewer points at home.

A win would match the 12 earned at this stage in the title winning season with just 1 fewer point gained. That 2012/13 season went on to see only 4 points added from the next 3 matches.

3:01 Kick-off.

3:35
GOAL! Shrewsbury 1-0 Gillingham: Oshilaja Own Goal

3:41
GOAL! Shrewsbury 1-1 Gillingham: McDonald

3:48 Half-time 1-1

4:18
GOAL! Shrewsbury 1-2 Gillingham: Jackson

4:29
GOAL! Shrewsbury 2-2 Gillingham

4:39
Cody McDonald hits the post.

4:52 FULL-TIME 2-2

Position: 2nd
Attendance: 4,959 (256)
Referee: Kevin Wright
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 28 Nov 15 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:45 pm

This is our last game until December the 12th with us not playing next week due to us getting knocked out of the FA Cup.It would be nice to go into our break still in the top two and getting something from Shrewsbury.We have lost our last three games away in all competitions,so hopefully we will be tighter at the back in this game.At home we have been brilliant,but away with the diamond formation it has left us exposed.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan---------------------Oshilaja---------------Garmston
--------------------A.Morris--------------------Loft-----------------------------
Hessenthaler--------------------Dack------------------------------B.Dickenson
---------------------------------Samuel-------------------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Ehmer, Wright, Houghton, Osadebe, McGlashan, McDonald

With Rory Donnelly suspended, Ben Williamson on loan at Cambridge United, Luke Norris injured and Cody McDonald not quite at 100%, I think Justin Edinburgh is forced to play a 4.2.3.1 formation with one in attack, and I think this is how Gillingham have to line up away from home as the diamond midfield formation was ripped apart at The Ricoh Arena Last Saturday.

I can see there being one surprise to the team starting against Shrewsbury Town tomorrow, and I have gone with the option of playing Jake Hessenthaler in-front of Ryan Jackson with specific instructions to drop deep should Ryan Jackson attack down the right wing, and double up with Ryan Jackson on Shrewsbury Town's left back and left winger, especially if Sullay Kaikai plays on that side of the pitch because he looked a real threat against Sheffield United on The SKY Sports Highlights.

I don't have a great record at The Greenhous Meadow, the 7-0 defeat was dreadful and I have seen two 2-0 defeats and a 0-0 draw, I wouldn't mind a 0-0 draw tomorrow, but all three points would be brilliant and hopefully all three points is what Gillingham get come 5PM tomorrow afternoon - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:04 am

If we seriously talking promotion, teams like Shrewsbury need to be chewed up and spat out, home, away , on a neutral field ,in my back yard, I don't care where we play them we need to kick there asses from one end of the pitch to the other and win at least 3-1. We have twice as many points as them on the season, we had more points than they have that after 7 games ,there home record of 3 wins , 5 , losses is what I would call p*ss poor, they can't score at home, we have almost double the number of goals they have scored, , and there big win last week was against a very average mid table Sheffield side , and not only that but there manager has a silly name as well.
Coventry and Burton both look good for 3 points , but I think there's a good chance that Walsall , Wigan, and Bradford City could all be looking at an X on the pools coupon and only 1 point each, so for us to stay where we are, going into a bye week , chance for the injured to heal ,chance for some game planing for the run up to the New Year, Saturdays game really is a must win big three pointer if were serious about Championship football next year.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Two points dropped, but we did score 3 like I said. The gap has closed, and teams below us have a game in hand, come on Edinburgh lets go buddy or you will be gone the second that great Newcastle and Ex England manager becomes available.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:51 pm

I only saw the result,but going by the stats and peoples tweets we just came up against a really good keeper.I would have taken a draw,so we have to be happy.We played well and deserved to get all three.Pleasing to see Cody take his chance with Donnelly suspended,and what a strike from Jackson.We can go into the break feeling positive with 4 points this week.We have some tough games coming up in December so it`s good the players have a chance to recharge their batteries.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Were going to need around 90 points to get automatic promotion, our home games are on target, we will need around 16 home wins for the season, but were falling behind on the away wins, 4 just will not cut it, were going to need 11 or 12 minimum to go up, and yesterday we dropped 2 points from a team we should have beaten .
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:18 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/134458422177/fom-blog-shrewsbury-town-2-2-gillingham

This is My FOM BLOG for The 2-2 draw against Shrewsbury Town at Greenhous Meadow - Enjoy.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions