[ 21 Nov 15 ] Coventry v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
100%
Cody McDonald
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 21 Nov 15 ] Coventry v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Coventry are unbeaten in 5 at home to the Gills, winning their last 2 after 3 successive draws. The Gills have won 3 home ties in that period.

Coventry edge the wins 24 to 15 however since meeting in the FA Cup back in 1961 it is honours even with both sides winning 5 times.

Along with the Gills, Coventry & Wigan hold 2 of the remaining 3 unbeaten home records in League 1 but have played 1 game fewer.

Both sides have the same number of wins, draws and defeats however the Gills have scored 2 more goals and conceded 1 more goal!

Coventry's unbeaten home run ended a spell at the end of last season that saw just 2 home wins from 15 games.

Coventry are unbeaten in 8 league games (winning 5). After 4 clean sheets in the first 4 games of that run, they have since conceded 8 in 4.

21 goals have been scored in just 4 home ties with Coventry but it has taken 10 away ties to see the same amount.

Before today, Coventry had seen 4 fewer players score a goal compared to the Gills but their top scorer Adam Armstrong has 12 from just 14 appearances.

3:02 Kick Off.

3:36
GOAL! Coventry 1-0 Gillingham.
The Gills have won 4 and drawn 1 of the 7 games they conceded the opening league goal in. Coventry are next with 3.

3:38
GOAL! Coventry 2-0 Gillingham.

3:42
GOAL! Coventry 3-0 Gillingham.

3:45
GOAL! Coventry 4-0 Gillingham.
Jacob Murphy scores a hat-trick for the hosts.

3:49 Half-time 4-0
The Gills were last 4-0 down at half time back in April 2014 when we eventually went on to lose 5-1 at Leyton Orient.

3:55
Before today, both sides had lead 5 times in the league at half time and both had won all 5.

4:07
The second half begins.

4:25
GOAL! Coventry 4-1 Gillingham: Dack

4:45
The Gills have now conceded 18 league goals in the first half but only conceded 5 in the second!

4:56 FULL-TIME 5-1

Position: 2nd
Attendance: 15,604 (857)
Referee: Mark Brown
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 21 Nov 15 ] Coventry v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:07 am

Another big game at the top of the table.For me Coventry have a better side than Walsall when we played them last month.I`m expecting a tough game in front of a big crowd.I would take a draw if offered.I think Justin will go with the same side that beat Bury last week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:11 pm

We need to be at our best for this one and or luck on our side, Coventry have a massive budget and it shows with the seemingly unlimited squad size.
We need the players to perform as last week (or Sheffield United) and we can win this, stick with the same players from the Bury match and we know we'll have plenty of stamina and running in the side.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:27 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan---------------------Oshilaja----------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
----------------Hessenthaler-----------------Osadebe--------------------------
-----------------------------------Dack-------------------------------------------
-----------------Donnelly---------------------Samuel----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Ehmer, B.Dickenson, Houghton, Loft, McGlashan, McDonald

With Harry Lennon being recalled by Charlton Athletic today, Justin Edinburgh has to decide if either Max Ehmer or Adedeji Oshilaja will come in for Harry Lennon, or will both centre back's start alongside John Egan in a 3.4.1.2 formation ??? - I have predicted the same 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation and almost the same team that started against Bury Last Saturday, that's because I don't think that those who started against Dartford did themselves any favours because Gillingham named a very strong side at Princes Park and to lose 2-1 was unacceptable.

Another selection problem is deciding who starts up-front, Dominic Samuel should start as his hold up play was very impressive against Bury and either Rory Donnelly or Cody McDonald will start alongside him, again I gone with the option of predicting almost the same-team that started against Bury, but Dominic Samuel, Cody McDonald and Rory Donnelly are all Former Coventry City Players, so it would be good if any of them were to score against there Former Club tomorrow - although Romaine Vincelot is playing for Coventry City so we need to watch out for him at The Ricoh Arena.

I will be traveling to Coventry City tomorrow via coach, here's hoping that Gillingham come back from Coventry with at least a point, I would be ecstatic If Gillingham were to pick up all three points, but I wouldn't be disappointed with a draw tomorrow, Hopefully Gills get something from the game at The Ricoh Arena - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Oh well that was a thumping, who's next , Rochdale at home, then Shrews away ,we should be able to pick up 6 points from those two and get back on course ??
What the hell happened in the ten minutes before half time, did the Gills leave the field early thinking it was the end of the half at the 34 minute mark ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Sounds like Oshilaja had a bit of a 'mare and whilst we aren't the strongest defensively, we have been a lot more solid than that. Other sides have conceded 4 or 5 but under Jed we hadn't until today so 4 in 10 was a huge shock and I guess it was a success to a degree stopping it going off the chart. After all that its still just 5 conceded in the second half of games with 17 scored, I really can't work out why we are suddenly starting so slowly?!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Gary; it's bad enough losing 4-1 without you adding an extra goal for the opposition! Are you trying to make us feel even worse?!!
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Such a disappointing result,after containing them for quite a bit of the first half.If Cody`s header had not been cleared it might have been a bit different.Once they got their deserved goal we just seemed to collapse and it was alarming how quickly we just collapsed after.I went to get a drink after the 2nd,and as I came back it was 3-0,then 4-0.I was glad I was only listening and not there like the 857 that travelled.I feared a 6 or 7-0 defeat,but they seemed to take their foot off the gas and we won the second half.Good to see Dack score a consolation,but another top of the table clash we have folded in.It is a young side and there will be ups and downs.I think the diamond formation away is our main problem as it leaves so much space for pacy players to take advantage of.Hopefully we can bounce back v Rochdale on Tuesday night.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:55 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/133861503347/fom-blog-coventry-city-4-1-gillingham

This is My FOM BLOG For Gillingham's 4-1 defeat against Coventry City.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions