[ 14 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Bury Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
25%
John Egan
No votes
Harry Lennon
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
25%
Rory Donnelly
25%
Dominic Samuel
25%
Aaron Morris
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes

Total votes : 4

[ 14 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Bury Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 pm

This is only the 4th meeting with Bury at Priestfield since we last beat them at home (back in December 1999).

The Gills have won just 2 of the last 10 meetings with Bury. Overall Bury lead the head to head wins 21 to 19 and there have been 10 draws.

After failing to win in their opening 5 League 1 games, Bury then won 6 in a row before failing to win in any of the 4 games after.

Bury won their last league game 4-3 but have lost both of their last 2 away from home, their only league away defeats this season.

Although the Gills are the second highest scorers in the division, Bury have scored 3 or more goals on 5 occasions, 1 more than the Gills.

3:04 Kick-Off

3:05
John Egan captains the Gills this afternoon. He has an 70% win rate from 10 games as captain (Nelson 50% from 2 games, Loft 33.3% from 9).

3:08
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Bury.
The Gills have won 3 of the 6 games they conceded first in this season.

3:10
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Bury: Samuel
At home this season we've scored the opening goal 5 time and conceded it 6 times but have scored the 2nd and 3rd goals in 15 out of 17 occasions

3:14
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Bury: Egan

3:25
The Gills have now scored more goals after 17 league games than in the title winning season of 2012/13.

3:52 Half-time: 2-1

4:02
Only 6 sides have led at the break in fewer league games than the Gills however the previous 4 half time leads have culminated in wins.

4:08
The second half begins

4:27
Harry Lennon clears a ball off the line.

4:50
GOAL! Gillingham 3-1 Bury: Osadebe

4:53
Ryan Jackson clears a ball off the line.

5:01 FULL-TIME: 3-1
The Gills didn't achieve 12 wins last season until the 35th game, 13 more than this season.

Position: 1st
Attendance: 6,063 (212)
Referee: Keith Stroud
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 14 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Bury Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm

A big game with us needing to get that winning feeling back.Also with Walsall & Burton not playing it is a chance for us to go back top.I hope we can get back to playing the good football we had been playing.Bury are not great away,but have a strong squad with players like Leon Clarke & Tom Pope in their side.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:05 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan---------------------Lennon-----------------Garmston
--------------------Wright----------------------Loft-----------------------------
McGlashan-----------------------Dack----------------------------------Donnelly
--------------------------------McDonald------------------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Oshilaja, B.Dickenson, Houghton, Hessenthaler, Williamson, Samuel

No Space for Max Ehmer, Aaron Morris or Emmanuel Osadebe in My Eighteen Man Squad as I couldn't fit them in, this also gives you an indication of the depth and quality Gillingham have got in our squad, even though I still think Gillingham are lacking a target-man, because based from the feed-back I got from Reading and Coventry City Supporters I got on Twitter, Dominic Samuel is a pacey striker and not someone who can play with his back to goal.

After his goal and performance on Tuesday Night, I hope Bradley Garmston starts at left and Brennan Dickenson doesn't come back in straight after suspension, Dickenson was dreadful against Stevenage and I think Garmston is much better defensively out of the two of them, Wright and Loft are probably our best two defensive holding midfielders and I have gone with a midfield three of Jermaine McGlashan, Bradley Dack and Rory Donnelly supporting Cody McDonald, if we're going to line up with a 4.2.3.1 then Gillingham cannot just go for route one, we will need to build attack's from the back and give Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald the service and support they clearly need to score and create goals.

Hopefully Gillingham can get back to winning ways with a win against Bury - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby shoutingman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Well, I'm glad you got the team selection wrong FOM :-)
Brilliant final goal, as well.
That wasn't the winning goal you understand, Chicago..........................
shoutingman

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:55 pm

I don't think you will find it was me that was confused, I put my guess down once and once only, you didn't see me post saying garwa ,whine whine ,whine,what the winning goal mean whine whine whine, I can't work it out whine whine whine. No sir, I went straight for the jugular put down 10 minutes and that was it, everything else I writed was to try and help the people on here who were not as smart as garaws 3 year old.
Great win today or though who the hell were playing for the Gills and scoring I have no idea, lol,lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:05 pm

Ha ha, Superb win!!! Osadebe's goal was amazing. I've rated him since he came but not many have. The ball just sticks to his feet like magnets, he collected the ball and ran more than half the length of the pitch. At first he looked as if he lost it with a couple of players around him, then was running towards the corner flag to run down time only to then flick it between the defenders leg and slot it past the keeper at an impossibly tight angle! WOW!

The weather was awful but the Gills looked much more like the side we've seen at the start of the season. Leon Clarke and Tom Pope up front for them made them very dangerous but in truth we controlled the game thanks largely to a functioning midfield for a change. Dack had a great game and the new loanee Samuel looks like a great addition, especially as he had such a good spell at Coventry last season and it is them we face next in a top of the table clash. 2 clearances off the line made it a bit nervy but what a good performance to hold our nerve, we never usually hold on well so to hold on to the 10th minute winner was also very welcome.

Tough trip to Coventry next. Will be happy with a draw.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Very pleased we have got back to winning ways against a good side.The conditions didn`t sound great from gillsplayer.Our response from going 0-1 down was very good,and we seemed to play how we did against Sheffield Utd & Wigan.Great to be top again,and what a goal by Osadebe! Coventry away next week is another big game.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:45 am

10-4-3 with a third of the games gone, I would have taken that at the start of the season, lol. I guess I am still not 100% convinced we have it right, lol, after all it's Gillingham and my old heart has been broken to many times over the years with the Gills. It's nice being ten points ahead of the tenth placed team, and obviously automatic is what were all praying for, but at least you have that safety blanket of the play offs to fall back on.
If we can pick up a point against Coventry and Burton, six against Rochdale and Shrewsbury, then I think Gillingham could give us all A Happy Christmas and a Wonderful start to the New Year, because if we are for real all three of those games, Millwall, Swindon and Colchstr are winnable and NINE points there would be great, imagine going into the New Year in first or second place with over 50 points on the board.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:49 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:10-4-3 with a third of the games gone, I would have taken that at the start of the season, lol. I guess I am still not 100% convinced we have it right, lol, after all it's Gillingham and my old heart has been broken to many times over the years with the Gills. It's nice being ten points ahead of the tenth placed team, and obviously automatic is what were all praying for, but at least you have that safety blanket of the play offs to fall back on.
If we can pick up a point against Coventry and Burton, six against Rochdale and Shrewsbury, then I think Gillingham could give us all A Happy Christmas and a Wonderful start to the New Year, because if we are for real all three of those games, Millwall, Swindon and Colchstr are winnable and NINE points there would be great, imagine going into the New Year in first or second place with over 50 points on the board.

It would be a brilliant feeling to have just about enough points for safety early new year wouldn`t it!

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:18 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/133526247297/fom-blog-gillingham-3-1-bury

This is My FOM BLOG for Gillingham's 3-1 win against Bury on Saturday - Enjoy :D
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions