[ 10 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Yeovil Town Match Thread (JPT)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Harry Lennon
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Bradley Garmston
100%
Josh Wright
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Ben Williamson
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 10 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Yeovil Town Match Thread (JPT)

Postby Garawa » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:15 pm

The Gills have beaten Yeovil in 3 of the last 6 meetings with the other 3 games ending in draws however Yeovil lead the wins 5 to 3.

Yeovil's win at Maidstone in the FA Cup on Sunday ended a run of 4 consecutive losses, part of a winless run that included 6 defeats and 3 draws.

Exactly 2 years ago Yeovil lost 1-0 at home to Wigan and sat 24th in the Championship, 16 places above the Gills. They are now 44 places below in League 2.

The Gills have failed to score in the first half of all 4 cup games this season and were losing 3 of them at half-time.

Before today, the Gills had won 11 matches scoring 35 goals in the process whilst Yeovil had lost 12 matches conceding 32 goals.

7:15 Kick-Off.

7:21
Yeovil hit the bar.

7:22
Cody McDonald has a goal ruled out for a foul.

7:28
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Yeovil Town

7:59
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Yeovil Town: Garmston
Garmston's goal breaks a sequence of 7 consecutive goals conceded.

8:03 Half-time: 1-1

8:20
The second half kicks off.

8:39
Doug Loft has a goal ruled out for offside.

9:10 FULL-TIME: 1-1 Yeovil win 5-4 on penalties.

Penalty Shoot-out:
Dack (Scored)
Yeovil (Scored)
Egan (Scored)
Yeovil (Scored)
Loft (Scored)
Yeovil (Scored)
Williamson (Scored)
Yeovil (Scored)
Donnelly (MISSED)
Yeovil (Scored)

Attendance: 1,832 (64)
Referee: Dean Whitestone
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 10 Nov 15 ] GILLS v Yeovil Town Match Thread (JPT)

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:35 pm

It is good after Saturday`s defeat to Stevenage defeat we have a game quick after.Edinburgh and the fans will be wanting a response after that poor performance.I think we will see a number of changes like he said,I can see the full 5 and maybe more if he feels it is worth a £5,000 fine.We need to get a win for confidence,and to get through to the area final.

Dack,Oshilaja,and Wright are all available which is a big boost.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Do you think 1,800 people will bother to come and watch this match, what will Yeovil bring 87 ?? I know I wouldn't be going unless it was a perfect evening, 60 degrees ,no rain, this JPT is about one stage up from the Kent Cup, and only the lovely Miss Fanny Mulligan gets excited about that.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson-----------------------------------------
-------------Ehmer-------------Oshilaja-----------------Lennon---------------
Jackson-------------Wright--------------------Loft-------------------Garmston
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Donnelly-----------------McDonald--------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), McGlashan, Houghton, Hessenthaler, Williamson

IN: Adedeji Oshilaja, Harry Lennon, Bradley Garmston, Josh Wright, Bradley Dack
Out: John Egan, Emmanuel Osadebe, Jordan Houghton, Aaron Morris, Brennan Dickenson (Suspended).

With only five changes allowed from your previous match for tonight's Football League Trophy Game against Yeovil Town, it makes any tactical or enforced changes very difficult without breaking the rules - although I do have to question this rule and why Manager's cannot choose the starting line up's of there choice when Premier League Teams can make wholesale changes for FA Cup and League Cup Matches - I have predicted a 3.4.1.2 formation, Harry Lennon and Adedeji Oshilaja will both start having missed Saturday's Match against Stevenage through ineligibility and injury and Max Ehmer deserves another start, Brennan Dickenson was all over the place at left back and this made Saturday a much harder game for Max Ehmer to play in as he was clearly rusty and lacking match sharpness, but I am also expecting Max Ehmer to put in a much better performance and he deserves another start this evening to put in the kind of performances we saw from The Young German Defender at the back end of last season.

It is great to have Josh Wright and Bradley Dack back again as we missed both players on Saturday and Doug Loft, Josh Wright and Bradley Dack in the middle of midfield will hopefully provide better service for Cody McDonald and Rory Donnelly because these two need better service and support if there going to score and create goals, hopefully Gillingham can get back to winning ways this evening and Gillingham can take the confidence from a good result tonight into The Bury Game on Saturday - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:07 pm

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH, WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH, WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH.
Come on Glasgow get this team sorted out, Scally get on the phone and start calling all your friends in the Championship and Premier Division, time to bring some on loan players in or else the great start we have had to the season will be going down the drain.
Ring ring,ring ring, Scally call from Fujairah SC in the UAE, they say they have got a couple of players you can have for 200 quid a week each, no calls from anyone else though , guess your New Best Friend list is pretty thin.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:13 pm

GARAWA give me the points, just seen the gate numbers, my guess above was 1800, with 87 Yeovil supporters bothering to come , and the actual numbers were ?
MAXIMUM points for me, put it on the old score board please, thank you.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 pm

I thought it was a bit better performance than Saturday effort wise,but it was a similar scenario with us getting out fought by a more physical side.They had key players missing,but our tactics fell into their hands.Once we equalised I felt we were the better Team,but we should have been 4-0 down by that time.The second half we had the better of it,but we didn`t create many chances to test their keeper,apart from a Loft shot that was tipped behind for a corner.It went to penalties and I had a bad feeling as I do with penalty shootouts.I thought it was a good one,with both sides taking good penalty`s,a shame that Donnelly ended up missing.I`m disappointed we have gone out of two Cups in 4 days,but more disappointed with the performances of late.We need to get back to the style of Football we were playing back in August and September.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:52 pm

One of the first comments you often see after a cup defeat tends to be this comment - Oh Well, at least we can concentrate on the league - I personally think that your league form and cup form go hand in hand and I would much rather go into the match against Bury on Saturday off the back of back to back wins against Stevenage and Yeovil Town in The FA Cup and Football League Trophy then two defeats in a row, and Bury won 4-0 against Wigan Athletic in The FA Cup First Round on Saturday so they will be full of confidence going into Saturday's Match, where as Gillingham don't look confidant and we have conceded seven goals in our last three matches and only scored three times, and if your conceding seven goals then you need to be scoring seven goals to be getting draws and wins from these matches.

One thing I will say about our most recent results is that, teams now know Gillingham's strengths and weaknesses and the opposition know what to do to exploit our weaknesses, so Gillingham now need to find another way of playing and finding ways to gain advantages of our strengths, rather then the opposition exploiting our weaknesses, Justin Edinburgh tried The 4.4.2 diamond midfield against Stevenage and that didn't work because Emmanuel Osadebe and Jordan Houghton were too light-weight in the middle of midfield, Justin Edinburgh changed the formation to a 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 against Yeovil Town and that system didn't work and when we changed to 4.4.2 Gillingham looked a lot better, but regardless of what system or line up Justin Edinburgh names, if we're going to persist with long balls over the top then Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald mind as well not be on the pitch, these two need the midfielders to provide them with the ammunition not blanks, and long balls to Cody McDonald and Rory Donnelly just isn't going to work, the last two matches is proof of this.

And we know that Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald can score goals, Rory Donnelly scored six goals in four games and that purple patch has dried up because he isn't being given the service that all strikers require, and Cody McDonald has been Gillingham's Top Goal-Scorer in three of the past five season's and we know that Cody McDonald is a proven goal-scorer, but both players cannot start alongside each other in attack, and in my opinion we're crying out for A Target-Man who can win the aerial battles, win those flick on's at the near post for Ryan Jackson's long throw in's and just give us the option to stick the ball to someone in the final third who can hold the ball up and play simple one touch layoffs to start a attack for Gillingham - Matt Smith has been mentioned, John Marquis is currently playing for Leyton Orient and Kevin Davies has retired, but those three all fit in with the type of striker Justin Edinburgh is looking to sign.

One thing I noticed before The Penalty Shoot-Out was taken, is that one of The Safety Officer's went over to speak with Referee Dean Whitestone, so did The Safety Officer tell Dean Whitestone to take The Penalties at the opposite end of the pitch and not in-front of The Rainham End, Doug Loft saw his penalty went in off the inside of the post and Ben Williamson's penalty was almost kept out by Chris Weale, so perhaps Gillingham used up all there luck going into the final round of penalty kicks, Rory Donnelly was unlucky with his penalty and such a shame that his miss meant that Gillingham's progress in The Football League Trophy did not go any further.

It was a very strange game, Yeovil Town could of been out of sight inside fifteen minutes and Gillingham had chances to win the match right at the end of normal time, but I lost count of the amount of times Yeovil Town won the ball in the air, we just about won against Scunthorpe United, scrapped a draw against Southend United, lost to Stevenage 3-0 and lost against Yeovil Town on penalties, it appears that Gillingham do struggle against teams who have that aerial advantage and will win the physical battles, which is why we're desperate for a target-man to challenge against taller and more physical centre back's and give Cody McDonald and Rory Donnelly the service there so desperate for.

Gillingham would of got £10,000 for beating Yeovil Town and £18,000 for winning against Stevenage, that money would of enable Gillingham to possibly bring in better quality player because we can afford to sign them, not only have we lost the last two matches, but we have lost out on almost £30,000 in prize money, and maybe even more then that had Gillingham reached The Third Round of The FA Cup and The Area Final / Main Final in The Football League Trophy.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions