[ 24 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Southend Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
50%
John Egan
No votes
Harry Lennon
50%
Aaron Morris
No votes
Jordan Houghton
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 24 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Southend Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am

The Gills lead the number of wins over Southend by 42 to 36 and there have been 27 draws.

The Gills did the "double" over Southend in the 2012/13 season whilst United did the double over the Gills in 2011/12. 3 draws preceded them.

Southend have won 5 of their last 7 league games but they have lost their last 2 away from home without scoring a goal.

Before today 8th placed Southend had scored 14 goals in the league, exactly half the amount as the Gills. Only 4 teams scored less.

Before today the Gills had scored 19 goals at home in the league. 14 sides managed fewer goals in their league home and away games combined.

Avoiding defeat would see the Gills go unbeaten in 12 league and cup games at home for the first time since the 2005/6 season. In that season 5 of them were draws.

Southend have suffered 6 blank sheets this season which, along with Doncaster, is the most in League 1.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:11
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Southend
Southend have scored first previously 4 times in the league, the joint lowest total but they did however win all 4 of them.

3:47
Half-time: 0-1

3:55
Southend have won 3 and drawn 1 of the 4 games they led at the break in. The Gills have lost 2 but won 1 of the 3 they were losing.

4:05
The second half kicks off.

4:48
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Southend: Loft

4:55
Full-time: 1-1

Position: 1st
Attendance: 6,981 (1,378)
Referee: Ben Toner
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 24 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Southend Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 pm

A tough game even though they lost 3-0 the other night.I`m sure Weston & Piggott will be wanting to impress against us.If we can play a lot better than we did the other night then we can get another three points.Wright looks to be banned still,Aaron Morris is likely to take his spot.Jackson is back from suspension so can slot in at RB.Cody will hopefully be back in the squad.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 pm

The Gills confirmed that Wright lost his appeal and will miss the next 3 games. Odd that an almost identical challenge in the Liverpool match last night only saw a yellow.

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:05 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan--------------------Lennon------------------Garmston
------------------Houghton------------------A.Morris---------------------------
McGlashan-----------------------Dack------------------------------B.Dickenson
---------------------------------Donnelly-----------------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Ehmer, Hessenthaler, Osadebe, Oldaker, McDonald, Williamson

The changes Justin Edinburgh made at half time on Tuesday Night made a big difference and with those changes in mind, I think Jermaine McGlashan and Brennan Dickenson both need to start on the right and left wings respectively, and with Ryan Jackson and Bradley Garmston at right and left back, Gillingham will have a lot of pace going down both sides of the pitch, Aaron Morris moving back into central midfield will help cover for the loss of Josh Wright and I can see Jordan Houghton starting against Southend United as well.

Cody McDonald should be back on the substitutes bench which is a massive boost, if we need a goal tomorrow then Cody McDonald can come on and make an impact, Southend United have sold over 1,000 tickets for this match so not only will the attendance be over 6,000, but the atmosphere inside Priestfield Stadium will be that much louder with a large traveling support in The Brian Moore Stand.

Hopefully, Gillingham can keep this impressive home form going with a win tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Sarfend came here to day with a pretty poor away record and a bunch of dirty players who seem to collect yellow cards like most kids of my age collected chewing gum cards, so without seeing the game I would say we dropped two points today as opposed to getting one, which thank goodness we did, and that will teach anyone that left early to avoid the rush NOT to do that again. Looks like we played better in the second half, looking forward to reading any reports from someone who was there.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:47 pm

I thinks this falls into the bracket I was concerned about at the start of the season. We had flair, speed and creativity and was tearing teams to shreds but I was concerned about how we would deal with teams that stifle us or who are much rougher. I wouldn't say Southend were like that as such but they were much tougher, never gave us much time at all and were considerably taller beating us to almost every high ball. In fact one of those challenges gave Donnelly a large knock to the head a few minutes in which, in my opinion made him look lethargic and second to the ball by some distance. At one point the ball seem to hit him and bounce out for a throw before he fell over! I doubt they would let him play on with a head injury but it didn't look to have helped him!

Pigott looked the star of the show winning most balls and we were fortunate with the goal that the keeper misjudged and let a long Loft kick drift over his head. We always struggle in the "easier" games, we always struggle with a big crowd so to remain unbeaten is superb and to come back and get a point even better as this would have been another defeat last season. 5 points earned in the dying embers of the last 3 games? Fantastic! We do need to start competing more from the off though. We always seem likely to score and when we do we are unstoppable but up to then we have been pretty much second best. We can't keep coming from behind or conceding the first goal!

Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Shouldn't we change sponsors to. Last minute com. ;-)
CadburyMan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:38 pm

I thought we were second best,especially in the first half.Phil Brown has a big physical side that like to put themselves about.They were winning the 50/50`s,and all the headers.We hoofed the ball a lot,and were sloppy with our play.Their goal was a lob over Nelson and they deserved to lead.Piggott was a right handful and looked a better bigger player than when he was here.I thought we were better in the second half and once Loft came on we had someone who was good on the ball,as we were missing Wright`s composure.I thought we were going to finally lose at home,but some how Loft`s 40 yard cross has flew into the net! A massive goal which lifted the crowd,and we looked like grabbing the winner,but the game finished 1-1.We didn`t deserve much,but again we have stayed in the game while not playing well and grabbed a late goal.It`s a good point and one gained as we were not at the races for the majority of the game.I`m sure my wife who came enjoyed it as well ;).Next up the big one 1st vs 2nd away at Walsall.We will need to to put in a really good performance.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Shouldn't we change sponsors to. Last minute com. ;-)
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Yes we probably could Cadbury but there's no need to keep going on about it ;-)

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions