[ 17 Oct 15] Crewe v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Stuart Nelson
33%
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Harry Lennon
No votes
Josh Wright
33%
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
33%
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 17 Oct 15] Crewe v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Crewe lead the wins 22 to 17 (there have been just 8 draws) and won this tie last season ending a Gills unbeaten run of 4 games at Crewe, 3 of which were wins.

The Gills last failed to score at Crewe back in November 2001, the subsequent 7 trips to Gresty Road all saw the Gills find the net scoring 14 times.

Crewe have conceded 13 goals in their last 5 home games after conceding the same number in their previous 18 home league fixtures!

Crewe only lost 4 of their last 10 away league games but are looking for their first win at home at the 12th attempt. Of those 11 without a win, 6 ended in defeat including the last 4.

Last season Crewe scored 2 fewer first half goals than they conceded but scored 30 fewer goals in the second half. Their record this season before today is 1 fewer scored in the first half but 8 fewer in the second half. The Gills scored 7 more in the second half last season and 9 more already this season.

The last 14 ties between the sides saw Crewe score 3 or more goals in 7 of the games whilst the Gills scored 3 or more in 4 of them.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:10
Crewe have the ball in the net but it's rules out for handball.

3:51
Half-time: 0-0
The live league table has 3 teams on 25 points with the Gills top.

4:06
The second half kicks off.

4:19
Cody McDonald hits the frame of the goal for the 13th time in his Gills career.

4:53
GOAL! Crewe 0-1 Gillingham: Donnelly
Gills score their second goal in the 90th plus minute this season.

4:56
Full-time: 0-1

Position: 1st
Attendance: 3,924 (310)
Referee: David Webb
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 17 Oct 15] Crewe v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:08 pm

On paper this is an away win all day long,but you never know with Football.They had a good win at Barnsley on Saturday,but their home form is poor.We got a good away win at the right time so if we play well I`d like to think we will get the win.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson-----------------------------------------
-------------Ehmer---------------Egan-------------------Lennon---------------
McGlashan--------Houghton-----------------Wright---------------B.Dickenson
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Donnelly------------------Norris----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Jackson, Garmston, A.Morris, Hessenthaler, McDonald, Williamson

I would stick with The 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 system that earned us a win against Chesterfield Last Saturday for the match against Crewe Alexandra tomorrow, the only change I can see happening is Jordan Houghton taking Jake Hessenthaler's spot in the starting eleven, and despite Ryan Jackson being back in training, I don't think it would be wise to start Ryan Jackson and it would better to ease the young right back into the first team slowly.

I would of taken four points out of six against Chesterfield and Crewe Alexandra and someone offered me four points a week a go, but that win against Chesterfield was completely unexpected and I am now hoping that Gillingham can pick up six points out of six with a win tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:52 pm

A goal worthy of winning any game - get in Gills
CadburyMan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Time to approach Crewe , a swap, Cody Mac and a player to be named later for Brad Inman, he seems to be the guy the Gills need to make sure we hang on to that top spot, GO GILLS, getting quite excited I am, lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:46 pm

A banana skin game,but we came through it and deserved the 3 points it seems.Gillsplayer said Crewe were better in the first half offensively,but the second half we sounded better and were unlucky not to take the lead when Cody hit the post,and then he missed a sitter of a header.His confidence seems low,and unfortunately him and Norris both picked up injuries which could hurt us.I thought we would have to settle for a point,but Donnelly the man of the moment scored a lovely curler in the 92nd minute to get us the points.I was going mental in my house,so the away end must have been a sight.With results going our way it was the perfect day,and its good to be back top of the league.

Norris looks to be out for weeks,and Cody might be a while so we might have to dip into the loan market.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:55 pm

I think Dack took a lot of responsibility when he was out and now has relinquished that somewhat, along with being managed out of games a bit more. I would be happy to manage with what we have. I would be inclined to switch to 4-4-2 for a bit playing Garmston and Jackson as full backs and Dickenson & McGlashan ahead of them. Hessy and Wright to break up play in the middle with Dack and Donnelly up front. Still leaves Williamson spare as striker, Osadebe and Houghton in midfield and Ehmer in defence. If it looks like they might be out longer then look to get a player in but I would rather we give a chance to players on the verge of the starting 11.

Garawa

Postby baronnight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I thought Cody looked quite sharp in this match, people are talking about the missed chances but forget to look at the chances.
The double miss was because of the way he stole the ball from 2 defenders and made the first chance himself, the save from the keeper was really good, the second shot was a very tight angle and he hit the inside of the post, on another day it would go in.
For the missed header he had put himself in a good position (Dack's cross was class) he knew strong contact would send it into the keepers hands and tried to give it a glance into the corner, sadly it was slightly underdone.
What's important is that he is getting into the right areas, working hard to get the chances, it's only a matter of time and they will start going in.
baronnight

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Forget the players on the verge, BRING SOMEONE IN NOW who has experience, this is our year, the year the gates open and we go back to where we rightly belong, playing Leeds and Fulham, Newcastle and Sunderland, Derby, QPR etc, play the ones on the verge in the paint pot trophy or what ever, we must win NOW.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm

"We must win now"???? I thought we had been? 4 wins out of 5? Who's to say a new loan player would suddenly understand in 3 days what Edinburgh had been drilling into the squad for the last 3 months? We are seeing a lot of players coming together in a system and its starting to work. I don't see where there is a NEED as there are players capable of that although some added strength won't go amiss. I'm not talking about using youth players for their first games here, I'm talking players that have impressed or got a number of matches under their belt already this season. Sometimes you get more out of a player who knows what is required and wishing to cement a first team place than you do from a loan player spending his time learning the system.

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions