[ 10 Oct 15] Chesterfield v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Harry Lennon
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
100%
Luke Norris
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 10 Oct 15] Chesterfield v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:32 pm

After going unbeaten in 9 matches against Chesterfield (and winning 7 of them) the Gills have since won 1 of the last 6 meetings with Chesterfield winning 4.

The Gills have only beaten Chesterfield twice in their last 7 meetings however both have come in the away fixtures!

Since scoring 14 goals against Chesterfield in the 1987/88 season, it took another 16 games against them to score a further 14 goals.

After winning 4 successive home games (scoring 11 goals and conceding 0) Chesterfield have since won only 1 out of 6 and are looking for their first win in 4.

Chesterfield have scored 11 of their 15 league goals in the second half of games but the Gills have conceded just 3 out of 12 in the second half.

Chesterfield have conceded 8 goals from their last 3 home games, 1 fewer than their previous games 10 at the Proact Stadium.

3:00
Kick-off.

3:26
GOAL! Chesterfield 0-1 Gillingham: Egan
John Egan has scored his 8th Gills goal and his first in an away game.

3:35
GOAL! Chesterfield 1-1 Gillingham

3:48
Half-time: 1-1

4:04
The second half resumes.

4:13
GOAL! Chesterfield 1-2 Gillingham: Donnelly
Donnelly scores his 5th goal in just 229 minutes of football, an average of a goal every 45.8 minutes.

4:29
Jermaine McGlashan hits the bar.

4:30
GOAL! Chesterfield 1-3 Gillingham: Lennon

4:52
FULL-TIME: 1-3

The Gills win their 9th game of the season, 4 more than at this stage last season.

Attendance: 6,026 (396)
Referee: Nick Kinseley
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 10 Oct 15] Chesterfield v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

They`re not doing bad with them just 3 points from the play-off zone.Hopefully we don`t put in a similar performance to last time we played them where we were 2-0 down in the first half,and went on to lose 3-0.

Gills Team? I think Garmston has done enough of late to start at LB.McGlashan deserves a place on the bench after his decent performance against Luton.I would also go with Cody and Donnelly upfront.Lennon impressed against Luton,but will he oust Egan from the Team?

Nelson (C)
A Morris,Egan,Ehmer,Garmston
Wright
Houghton,Hessenthaler
Dack
Donnelly,McDonald

Subs: G Morris,Lennon,Osadebe,Dickenson,McGlashan,Williamson,Norris
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:04 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
A.Morris------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-------------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
------------------Houghton-----------------Hessenthaler-----------------------
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Donnelly------------------Norris----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Lennon, B.Dickenson, Osadebe, McGlashan, McDonald, Williamson

After Gillingham's horrendous 2-0 defeat away against Barnsley I mentioned I would like to see Gillingham play five in midfield for away games - and I would personally play five in midfield for tomorrow's match - but I just cannot see Justin Edinburgh lining up with a 4.2.3.1 / 4.3.3 formation and we're more likely to see the diamond midfield formation for Chesterfield Away - and in the same fixture last season Gillingham were dreadful and deserved to lose 3-0, and I hope we don't see a repeat of that performance and result tomorrow afternoon.

John Egan, Josh Wright, Bradley Dack and Rory Donnelly didn't start the game against Luton Town on Tuesday Night and I expect we will see all four players return to the starting line up, one change I would like to see happen is Brennan Dickenson dropped and Bradley Garmston starting in his place because Bradley Garmston made a huge impact from the bench on Tuesday Night and Brennan Dickenson has looked a little weak defensively away from home, so I would like to see Bradley Garmston start at left back.

The away form needs to pick up as one win, two draws and two defeats from five away games isn't promotion or playoff form and eventually the home form will dip, so Gillingham need to start picking up points away from home to take the pressure off our home matches, four points from Chesterfield and Crewe Alexandra is the sort of points tally I am looking at and I would be very pleased with four points, all six is very unlikely but would be exceptional - fingers cross Gillingham can pick up all three points tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:23 pm

What a great win. A tough trip, had to overcome some difficulty and still managed to go back ahead (and hit the bar) and hold out to win the match. Just one point off the top with Crewe away next, they just had to win didn't they and not sure many thought they'd beat Barnsley away!

Not sure who to pick for man of the match! Donnelly for yet another goal (and winner), McGlashan for getting about and hitting the woodwork, Lennon for (what sounded like) a good performance in defence and a goal to make the game safe...........there probably were others to choose as well most notably Nelson. Chesterfield sounded the better team, had 61% of possession but quality is telling at the moment.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:22 pm

What a win :-).I would have taken a draw before the game,but to win is great after our last two games on the road.Both our first goal and their goal both came from mistakes,but Donnelly`s header and Lennon`s header were both good finishes.It`s good to see us still getting goals from all over the pitch.We`re third and only one point off top spot,so it will be a good evening.Hopefully we can follow this away win up at Crewe next week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Great three points, what was the difficulty they had to overcome that you mentioned ??
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Can't help but think that its going to be a long winter for Chesterfield and that Dean Saunders is not long for the job.

Not sure we were in any real bother throughout the game; yes we conceded a goal but it was from a mistake and who hasn't ever made one. We ceded a lot of possession but I saw nothing that hurt us
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

The difficulty to me (and I only listened so don't know for sure) was after going ahead they quickly equalised and then started to come into the game. By all accounts Nelson made some good stops and they had a couple of shots that went very close. But then so did we, however we were level at that point and like during the Oldham game, we might have gone on to lose both these games so to get in front and then secure the win is possibly 4 points gained in 2 games. That is promotion form we haven't shown for some time and I would even say not even during the title winning season when a lot of the games we lead start to finish.

Garawa

Return to Match Discussions