[ 3 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Ben Dickenson
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jordan Houghton
50%
Doug Loft
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
50%
Luke Norris
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 3 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 pm

The Gills beat Oldham in the last meeting ending a run of 1 win in 11. Just 5 of the 43 ties between the sides have ended in draws.

Just 12 goals have been scored in the previous 8 meetings between the sides however 5 of them came in the last match (a 3-2 Gills win).

After 12 games without one Oldham have now drawn 6 of their last 7 away matches including all 5 this season, 4 of which ended 1-1.

Oldham have only lost twice from their 10 games this season however they have also only won once! They are win-less in 9 on the road (losing 3).

The Gills have won their last 8 games at home scoring 19 goals and conceding just 3 in the process.

From 10 league games the Gills have scored 6 goals in the last 10 mins. Oldham have scored 5 in the whole of last season and this season combined!

3:00
Kick-Off.

3:07
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Oldham: Donnelly

3:12
Oldham haven't lost when scoring first so far this season (drawing 3 out 4) but they haven't won after conceding first either (drawing 3 out of 5).

3:28
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Oldham.
Dickenson scores an own goal after not being credited with one against Fleetwood.

3:33
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Oldham: Donnelly

3:35
GOAL! Gillingham 2-2 Oldham.

3:47
Half-time: 2-2

3:55
The Gills have previously won 3 out of 3 when leading at half time in the league and won 1 from 2 when losing at the break.

4:12
GOAL! Gillingham 2-3 Oldham.

4:14
GOAL! Gillingham 3-3 Oldham: Hesenthaler
For the second game in a row the Gills score the 6th goal of the game from a substitute.

4:51
FULL-TIME: 3-3

Attendance: 6,157 (181)
Referee: James Adcock
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 3 Oct 15 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:26 pm

It`s great to have another home game,especially after yesterday`s 5-1 win.Priestfield is a fortress with 8 straight wins.I believe Oldham haven`t won in 8,so hopefully we can get the first goal and make it hard for them.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:41 am

Wednesday going into Thursday and not a fact to see, dear ,dear ,dear. I guess now he is in charge of the moving wall ,we here on this little itty bitty GFC site have become nothing more than chopped liver, something to get to when he has "the time".
Shame because he wasn't a bad lad for most of the time, but they say power corrupts, today the wall, and next I guess he will be out dining with the gang from FIFA, claiming the money he earned was from 9 years ago when he did a job for Mr." Weak Bladder" in Switzerland, playing the Swiss horn at a party while doing his Chippendale Act or something. Shame to see a lad like that go bad so quick, don't you agree Mr Lidbit ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Sorry Gillsfan, was a bit busy, Mr Obama asked me to sort out Mr Putin. They are on there now, lol.

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
A.Morris------------Egan-------------------Ehmer----------------B.Dickenson
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
------------------Houghton--------------------Loft------------------------------
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Donnelly------------------Norris----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Lennon, Garmston, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, McDonald, Williamson

I think the team that started against Fleetwood Town will start again tomorrow against Oldham Athletic with one obvious exception, I am not sure on the extent of Ryan Jackson's injury and there is every possibility that Ryan Jackson won't be in the starting line up, which is a massive blow because not only will we miss Ryan Jackson's long throw in's, but we will miss his pace down the right side of the pitch.

Three doesn't go into two up-front and Rory Donnelly was superb against Fleetwood Town and he deserves to start and Luke Norris was unlucky not to get himself on the score-sheet, but I can see Cody McDonald being named among the substitutes bench again, because we were brilliant with the exception of conceding the opening goal on Tuesday Night and barring injuries or suspensions, I think Justin Edinburgh will try and keep the same-team if possible, Harry Lennon should be named among the substitutes bench and I can see Ben Williamson coming back into the eighteen man squad as well.

Gillingham have won all five of our home games this season and Oldham Athletic have drawn all five of there away games this season so one of these records will break tomorrow, hopefully Gillingham will carry on our impressive home form with a win tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Ok, lets face it, it wasn't the best game and defensively we were caught out a bit but listening on the radio you'd have thought we had just lost by a ship load! I know it butts onto a relatively dull Fleetwood second half but that can't be counted as it was clear Fleetwood were trying to keep the score down and we wanted to see out the game without conceding. It did feel a bit like a defeat after twice losing to a side that has only won once but this side have now drawn all 6 away from home! We have scored 8 goals in 2 home games, are unbeaten now in 9 at home and have seen Donnelly get 4 goals in 2 games (who on this occasion was a clear deserved winner of man of the match). We are still 4th and 1 point away from automatic promotion. What an awful season, time to change the manager! Goodness me!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:52 am

I know I shouldn't be, but when I got in and saw a 3-3 tie I was a bit disappointed, then I looked at Chelsea's and Newcastles score and I have been laughing ever since.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 am

Was a bit sloppy to concede three against that lot but I agree with Gary. Season is on track for me.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:07 pm

I only saw the result,and 3-3 was surprising.I have read we wasn`t that good,but we got a point and that keeps our great home form going.Donnelly scoring another brace is impressive,and good to see Hessy chipping in with more goals this season.The only negative is we`re conceding a bit too easily at the moment.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:31 pm

We certainly are conceding far more than before. Having conceded just 3 first half goals in 9 games we have since conceded 7 in 4 meaning we are having to chase games a bit more rather than control them. That said we have scored 12 and conceded 5 in the second half suggesting to me that teams are starting to find out our weaknesses and exploit them but we have the quality to largely recover, something last season we would have lost too many games from.

People seem to think we should win every match. Bristol City won the league last season after failing to win 17 of their league games. Had we beat Oldham we would have been 0.6% out from the same percentage of games not won. Figures can swing wildly at this stage of the season but we are a quarter of the way through and virtually matching the promoted sides of last season, can our fans really find fault with that?

Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions