[ 29 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Fleetwood Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jordan Houghton
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Rory Donnelly
50%
Luke Norris
50%
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 29 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Fleetwood Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:44 pm

The Gills are looking for their first win against Fleetwood having previously drawn 2 and lost 2 of the 4 meetings so far.

The Gills have won 7 games in a row at Priestfield (the first time since December 1999). The game before that run was a defeat to FLEETWOOD! (0-1)

The Gills have let in just 1 goal in the last 389 minutes of home games. Fleetwood have 4 blank sheets in their last 7 away league games.

After a run of 6 consecutive away defeats earlier last season, Fleetwood have since won 8 of their 19 league games on the road.

Like the Gills, Fleetwood arrive off the back of consecutive defeats and are looking for their first win in 5 in the league (3 defeats).

The Gills suffered back to back defeats for the first time under Justin Edinburgh on Saturday with Barnsley being only his 7th defeat in 28 games.

A win today would see 8 successive home league wins for the first time since the promotion winning 1963/64 season.

7:47
Kick-Off

7:59
GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Fleetwood.

8:04
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Fleetwood: Donnelly

8:14
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Fleetwood: Houghton

8:17
GOAL! Gillingham 3-1 Fleetwood: Egan

8:21
GOAL! Gillingham 4-1 Fleetwood: Donnelly

8:36
Half-time: 4-1

8:50
The second half kicks off.

9:05
When losing at half time last season Fleetwood failed to win any of the 10 they were behind in losing 6. They have lost 3 out of 3 this season.

9:25
Half time substitute for Fleetwood Eggert Jonsson is sent off.

9:29
Cody McDonald comes on as a substitute with 5 minutes to go.

9:31
GOAL! Gillingham 5-1 Fleetwood: McDonald

9:38
Full-time: 5-1.
The Gills remain 3rd. They last scored 5 at home back in February 2012, 1,309 days ago.

Attendance: 5,231 (37)
Referee: Tim Robinson
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 29 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Fleetwood Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:50 pm

It`s good to have two home games in a row now after two disappointing results on the road.I think our diamond formation is suited for being played at home,so I hope we can keep the home form up.We haven`t beaten Fleetwood in around 4 meetings,so hopefully that will change on Tuesday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:40 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-------------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
----------------Hessenthaler------------------Loft------------------------------
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Donnelly----------------McDonald----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), B.Dickenson, A.Morris, Houghton, McGlashan, Norris, Williamson

Jake Hessenthaler, Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald all came on as subs against Barnsley on Saturday and I think all three players will start and Bradley Garmston will come in for Brennan Dickenson, I am expecting personal changes but no changes with the 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation as this system works more effectively for home matches then it does for away games, I really do hope that Jermaine McGlashan is at least named among the substitutes bench because Gillingham may well need McGlashan's pace in the final 15 - 20 minutes of the game.

With Fleetwood Town 19th and Oldham Athletic 20th in League One, then Gillingham really can do with maximum points from these two league games, especially as Gillingham have won one of our five away league matches to date so far, this means that there is pressure on our home form and Gillingham need to keep winning at home if we're to remain in contention for a playoff place, If Rory Donnelly does start then it will be interesting to see how well he plays from the off, because I was impressed with his substitute appearance on Saturday.

Hopefully Gillingham can maintain our impressive home form with another home win tonight - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Wow, what a way to put back to back defeats to bed! Good performance with all the work in the first half, the second had all the air of one side ensuring they took home a comfortable win with the other not wanting to concede even more. Great for Donnelly to get a brace, he has the look of a player who could be lethal at this level but barely got a shot out. Today he was clinical with his second a beautiful lob of the keeper when through on goal. Great also for Houghton, given man of the match on the night, to be another new Gills scorer. Dack was kept quite again which is a little worry but we did see a bit more from him and Cody, who came on with 85 minutes on the clock, got his first of the season also. He didn't look sharp, he might have had a goal within a minute as through on goal he twisted through but decided to do so again and the chance was lost. Within another minute he had made it 5, needed to post to help it in but it was there and hopefully both Donnelly and Cody can kick start their season from it!

I gave the MOM to Norris, a constant bane in the defence side and really put a shift in. Only a goal was missing today in my opinion. Where this leaves the strikers I'm not sure. Perhaps keep it the same with Cody still to get 100% match fit but Williamson might find himself well out of favour.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:58 pm

What a fantastic win! I had the joys of gillsplayer again,but I still enjoyed the game! I was a bit worried when we went 0-1 down as I thought we may have a losing mentality brewing.Once we equalised it seemed like one way traffic until half-time.Very pleased to see Donnelly grab his first goals for the club,and what a goal his second one was! It wouldn`t look out of place in La Liga! And how great for Cody to come on late in the second half and grab his first goal of the season.That should do him the world of good.Priestfield is looking like a fortress,and long may it continue.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Rimshot » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 am

Consistent home form is the foundation of almost all promotion pushes. Great result for the Gills.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Not bad at all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garawa

Return to Match Discussions