[ 26 Sep 15 ] Barnsley v GILLS Athletic Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Ben Williamson
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Jake Hessenthlaer
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 26 Sep 15 ] Barnsley v GILLS Athletic Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:02 pm

The Gills have won 6 of the 28 ties against Barnsley with just 1 of those wins coming in the away fixtures. The last win there was in August 1968.

Barnsley have won the last 5 meetings with the Gills scoring 2 goals in the process. We won the meeting before that 3-0 in August 2001 (the goals coming from Iffy Onoura and a Marlon King brace).

Barnsley have scored in all bar 2 of their last 23 home league fixtures keeping 9 clean sheets over the same period.

In the middle of last season Barnsley won 7 out of 8 home games but have since won 3 of their subsequent 9 at Oakwell.

3:02
Kick-Off

3:20
GOAL! Barnsley 1-0 Gillingham.
Barnsley won 2 and lost 2 when conceding first this season but have only won 1, drawn 1 and lost 1 after scoring first. They lost the most games (6) last season in the league after scoring the opening goal.

3:47
GOAL! Barnsley 2-0 Gillingham.

3:49
Half-time: 2-0
Barnsley lead at the break for the 4th time this season. They won 1 and drew 1 of the previous 3 (winning from their only lead at home).

4:05
The second half kicks off.

4:30
Half of all the Gills goals this season have come in the final 20 minutes of the game.

4:56
Full-time: 2-0

Attendance: 8,354 (248)
Referee: Darren Deadman
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 26 Sep 15 ] Barnsley v GILLS Athletic Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Another tough game on Saturday as we travel to Barnsley,a ground I don`t think we have won at since 1968.We will see what kind of response we get as we look to bounce back from Saturday`s defeat.I would take a point right now,and then look to the two home games coming up in the League.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:15 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan-------------------Ehmer----------------B.Dickenson
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
-------------------Houghton------------------Loft-------------------------------
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Norris------------------McDonald----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Garmston, A.Morris, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, Donnelly, Williamson

I think Justin Edinburgh will stick with the same-team that lost against Colchester United Last Saturday, with the only change being Jermaine McGlashan's inclusion into Gillingham's Eighteen Man Match Day Squad.

I am traveling via car to Barnsley tomorrow so it will mean a early start, hopefully Gillingham come back from Oakwell with at least a point - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby baronnight » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:55 am

I would like to see a shake up with us playing 4 - 4 - 1 - 1

....................Nelson.................

Jackson....Egan....Ehmer....Garmston.

McGlashan...Loft...Houghton...Dickenson

......................Dack...................

...................Williamson...............

I've put Williamson upfront because he holds the ball up well which allows the midfield to join the attacks, having said all that I'm expecting to see FOM's line though,
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Looks solid and can allow room for the more creative players however we never seem to cope well with one up front even if joined by midfielders. In that scenario maybe Norris would be more likely to get the shots required and leave the holding to a midfielder. I would be inclined to go this instead (let Wright drop to make a back 4 if required).

......................Nelson.........................

.....Jackson........Egan............Ehmer......(Oshilaja for Jackson who would replace McGlashan if he was available)

McGlashan....Wright....Houghton....Dickenson

......................Dack...........................

.............Norris.......Williamson...............

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Just seen the team news and Norris and Williamson indeed start with Cody on the bench. Osadebe comes into midfield and its the usual back 4.

McGlashan apparently not involved as he has just gained a baby girl!!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:56 pm

It sounded a below par performance today,we didn`t really create much and we seem to be conceding a bit too easily in the last two games.2-0 down at half-time kills us off,but I thought we did sound better once Hessy,Cody,and Donnelly came on.We knew we were going to have off days with the young squad,but we`re still in a decent position.With two league home games coming up hopefully we can get a new run going.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Can you spell Gillingham FC , it's spelt.........Leicester City FC.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions