[ 12 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Blackpool Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
25%
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Josh Wright
50%
Doug Loft
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Cody Mcdonald
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Rory Donnelly
25%
Ben Williamson
No votes

Total votes : 4

[ 12 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Blackpool Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Victory against Doncaster leaves the Gills one of 8 unbeaten clubs in the football league, one of 4 unbeaten from sides that have played 6 games and the only unbeaten side in League 1. From all sides that have had 3 home games, only Leyton Orient and the Gills have yet to concede a home goal in the Football League.

There have been 12 draws between the sides and Blackpool lead the wins 12 to 9 however they have only won once in the last 8 meetings.

The last 3 ties between the sides have all ended in a draw. The Gills were the last to win, a 2-1 win back in October 2005 at Priestfield.

Blackpool's win on Saturday was their first since January having lost 17 of their subsequent 24 games.

Blackpool's win at Scunthorpe on Saturday was their first win on the road since April 2014. They had drawn 8 and lost 20 since their last success.

Blackpool's 1-0 win on Saturday was their 2nd clean sheet in 25 and have conceded 26 goals in 12 games. It took the Gills 23 to concede 25 goals.

Blackpool have suffered 13 blank sheets in their last 26 games (including in 4 of their last 6) whilst the Gills have had 13 in 68 games.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:16
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Blackpool: Loft
Loft follows up a Norris free kick that hit the post.

3:18
Blackpool have lost all 3 games they conceded the opening goal in this season and failed to win any of the 28 occasions last season (losing 24 of them).

3:46
Luke Norris hits the bar from a free kick.

3:47
Half time: 1-0

3:55
Blackpool have lost every one of the previous 21 games they were behind in at the break over the course of this and last season.

4:04
The second half kicks off.

4:10
GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Blackpool: Jackson own goal

4:15
The Gills concede their first home goal in 350 minutes of play at Priestfield.

4:40
GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 Blackpool: Dack

4:54
Full time: 2-1

Attendance: 6,231 (221)
Ref: Gary Sutton
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 12 Sep 15 ] GILLS v Blackpool Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:39 pm

Probably our easiest looking game on paper,but a proper banana skin for us.Everyone expects us to win,but it`s the sort of game we could lose as was shown when we lost to Hartlepool but beat Southampton,Millwall,and Swindon.I would take any win as it`will be a tough game as Blackpool look to park the bus,and nick one goal.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 am

Don't think they have a bus to even get here do they, and I am sure Scally is going to have to loan them a few quid for the gas to get home. This game might be 3 points for the Gills without a ball being kicked, B'pool might have to forefeit the game.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:01 pm

This should be an easy 5-0 victory after the Sheff Utd result. Their results are not just bad, they have been woeful for over a year away from home! However that blooming result Saturday worries me. Not only their first win in 29 but a clean sheet as well. Lets hope it was a blip, after all we all knew what a tough start we had and we often perform better in those games so hopefully we don't then also falter in the easy games!

An early goal and it could a big win. A drawn out game with no goal and it could be a narrow defeat. Personally I think 3-0 which would be amazing given how many goals we have conceded in the last 7 or 8 games!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:42 pm

I`m hoping for an early goal from us,and then Blackpool have to come out and attack which means we can pick them off.At Sheffield Utd,Blackpool frustrated Utd until late on as they parked the bus.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:51 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-------------------Garmston
----------------------------------Wright----------------------------------------
-------------------Houghton-----------------Loft------------------------------
-----------------------------------Dack------------------------------------------
--------------------Norris------------------McDonald----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), B.Dickenson, Osadebe, Hessenthaler, McGlashan, Donnelly, Williamson

John Egan coming back should push Doug Loft back into midfield meaning that Emmanuel Osadebe is dropped to the bench - who I thought played really well against Doncaster Rovers last week - but with Jake Hessenthaler also on the bench it is nice to have competition for places for the central midfield positions in the team, Bradley Garmston deserves to keep his place in the team even if Brennan Dickenson is back and available for selection, as your only as good as your last game and Garmston played his part in ensuring that Gillingham kept a clean sheet, but it is a nice situation to be in where Bradley Garmston and Brennan Dickenson are both more then capable of playing at left back.

Three home wins and three clean sheets means that we go into this match full of confidence and I am confidant that Gillingham can win tomorrow and remain top of League One, but I am also wary that Blackpool can sucker punch tomorrow if we're not giving it at all, any win will do tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:01 pm

This was the most nervous I have been listening to Gills so far this season,so it shows how hard Blackpool made it for us.The first 20 minutes we sounded in control and got the goal,but it seemed like we relaxed after our goal and they came back at us and deserved their equaliser.I thought a draw might be on the cards,but credit to the players for finding a winner.Good to see Dack find the net again.This was a banana skin game,and if you want to stay up the top then you have to win these kind of games.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:17 am

Seems like they read the posts on here and believed they would score three or more, hell they did so no problem there.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions