[ 15 Aug 15] Port Vale v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Deji Oshilada
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jordan Houghton
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Bradley Dack
100%
Ben Williamson
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Donnelly
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 15 Aug 15] Port Vale v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 pm

The Gills are looking for their 4th straight win last achieved in September 2012.

A win for the Gills would equal the number of wins between the sides (16 each). There have previously been 17 draws in this tie.

The Gills last won at Port Vale in September 2012 (Deon Burton and Chris Whelpdale scoring in a 2-0 win). It sandwiched 3 wins for the hosts, all of which ended 2-1.

Port Vale drew at Crewe in the opening match meaning that they had now won just 1 league game in 12. The Gills have won 5 over the same 12 games.

After a run of 5 home wins from 7 in the league early last season, Port Vale have since won only once in 10 losing 6 of them.

The Gills have scored 28 second half goals in the past 24 games with 19 (67.8%) of them coming in the final 10 minutes of the match!

3:00
Kick-Off

3:01
Port Vale hit the woodwork.

3:17
GOAL! Port Vale 0-1 Gillingham: Dack

3:34
GOAL! Port Vale 1-1 Gillingham

3:49
Half-time: 1-1

4:06
Second half kick-off.

4:12
Port Vale hit the woodwork.

4:54
Full-time: 1-1

Attendance: 5,067 (273)
Referee: Fred Graham
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 15 Aug 15] Port Vale v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Another tough away game.They have not conceded a goal yet in their two games,but with us scoring 6 goals in two games,hopefully we can breach their defence.Confidence will be high after the late come back on Tuesday night.With Bradford away to come next Tuesday I would be pleased with 4 points from the two games.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:09 pm

The first game of the season can throw up funny results, the second game was against lower league opposition, if we get anything from this match I will start to believe that we're in for a good season.

Just to throw in a few stats, I'm now on my 6th cup of tea for the day, started with 2 teas followed by a coffee, then another 2 teas followed by a coffee, then 2 more teas, so do I go for another coffee and make it 2 - 1, 2 - 1, 2 - 1, to the mighty gills, ok. I'll just get my coat.
baronnight

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson-------------Egan------------------Oshilaja--------------B.Dickenson
-------------------Houghton--------------Hessenthaler------------------------
McGlashan-----------------------Dack------------------------------Williamson
----------------------------------Norris------------------------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Ehmer, Garmston, Wright, Osadebe, Loft, Donnelly

I think Justin Edinburgh will stick with the same starting eleven and same formation that won 2-1 away against Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday Night, the only possible changes I can see are Bradley Garmston starting at left back which pushes Brennan Dickenson to left midfield and Ben Williamson is moved across to the right - I am surprised that Max Ehmer hasn't featured in either of the matches Gillingham have played so far and it appears that Adedeji Oshilaja has got the shirt for now.

I don't think Doug Loft, Emmanuel Osadebe or Josh Wright are not enough to start tomorrow, but one (maybe two) of those three will make substitute appearances during the match if Justin Edinburgh feels he needs to add fresh legs to the middle of midfield, as Jordan Houghton and Jake Hessenthaler played the entire match on Tuesday Night and then had a long trip back from Plymouth to Gillingham in the early hour's of the morning.

I am going via Kings Ferry for this match, which is a shame as there is a nice cafe within walking distance of the ground, but you have to get there early and I cannot see Kings Ferry getting to Port Vale any earlier then 2PM tomorrow - hopefully Gillingham can make it three wins from three and get our second league win of the season to keep our winning run going - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby baronnight » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I was wondering whether JED might go for a 5 - 4 - 1 and use 3 Cb's, he did use the system in pre-season and away from home against Port Vale might be the time to try it.
baronnight

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Another point to the Mighty Gills, shame we could not put one more away after scoring so early. Six yellows today, thats a bit much sunshine being shown to the Gills in one game isn't it??
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:58 pm

I listened on gills player,it sounded like a good battling point.Our goal on the highlights looks a good finish from Dack.After the goal Vale seemed to throw the sink at us,and their equaliser was deserved.They started the half well as well hitting the bar through Inniss.I don`t really remember more than one chance in the second half for us,Williamson had a chance to square to Dack,but he chose to shoot and blazed over.I think we missed Cody today that clinical finisher to take a chance when we got it.But i`m pleased with a point at a tough place to go.4 points from 6 is a pleasing start,and the cup win as well means a good week for us.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions