[ 11 Aug 15 ] Plymouth v GILLS (Cup) Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Jordan Houghton
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
100%
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Ben Williamson
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 11 Aug 15 ] Plymouth v GILLS (Cup) Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:56 pm

We met Plymouth in this round 6 seasons ago when Simeon Jackson and Andy Barcham earned the Gills a 2-1 win at Priestfield.

Although Plymouth lead the wins over the Gills by 31 to 27, the Gills have won 8 of the last 10 meetings and are unbeaten in 6 (winning 5).

The Gills have played lower league opposition away in Round 1 on 17 previous occasions winning 9 and losing 4 of them.

The Gills have scored 7 goals without reply over the games either side of the summer.

7:45
Kick Off

8:33
Half-time: 0-0

9:16
Bradley Dack has a goal ruled out for offside.

9:22
GOAL! Plymouth 1-0 Gillingham

9:28
GOAL! Plymouth 1-1 Gillingham: Dack

9:30
GOAL! Plymouth 1-2 Gillingham: Hessenthaler

9:33
The Gills have now scored 1 more goal (6) and conceded 1 fewer goal (1) in the opening 2 matches compared with those of the title winning season.

9:39
Full-time: 1-2

Attendance: 5,120 (272)
Referee: Kevin Johnson
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 11 Aug 15 ] Plymouth v GILLS (Cup) Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:42 am

I`m hoping we can take the momentum from Saturday`s win into tonight.It`s a tricky game against a good League 2 side,and I expect a few changes to be made.If we play anywhere near Saturday then we will win comfortably,but it is usually difficult to play like that twice in a few days.I hope we can get the win and set up a big tie like last season.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:22 am

We looked good on Saturday against a side that looked bad, tonight will give us the chance to see if Sheffield made us look good, or it was us that made them look bad.

If you understand any of that your as mad as me. :D
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Wow. Without being able to listen to the game I've given Dack the MOM as it appeared that he inspired the win with an equaliser and having a goal ruled out before they scored. It would be interesting to hear what the 272 thought who went.

What resolve it shows. A tough place to go against a fancied side in their league. Seeded sides not only losing tonight but getting trounced at home (highest profile being Brentford 0-4 Oxford) and we turn around a deficit to steal a win. Keep scoring goals and I can only see a very high finish. Dack is the key, it's not a system that is the cause that sides can work out, it's an unplayable player and holding on to him after January looks very unlikely!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:53 pm

I don't think he going anywhere just yet and if God forbid he does, we should insist on getting a good chunk of change for him. Left it late tonight, but another win on the books, sure hope we go to Port Vale Saturday and pick up another 3 points, they had a good win against Burnley tonight so I think that game will give us a real feel for what we have got this year as a team, but up till now it looks great.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 am

Young player with individual flair who can score goals...can see the £ signs in Scally's eyes already.
Rimshot

Postby baronnight » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 am

How much money would a promotion be worth to the club, probably more than selling any of our players.
baronnight

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 pm

You're right but it all comes down to how ambitious the player is really. If we were lets say 7th and fighting for a play-off spot in January and a side like West Brom came in for him, would he choose to stay? He could be in the Championship with either side the following season but only guaranteed to play for one of them!

If a big club came in we would have no option but to allow him to move, it would be wrong to hold him back unless we have a crystal ball and can guarantee we would get promoted. And even if that were the case, a club with 3 times the gates would be able to offer wages we couldn't so it all boils down to how much Dack likes it here. I guess how quickly he signed a long term deal suggests he likes it a lot but that can quickly change if clubs fight for his signature.

Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

You can't blame a player with Dack's ability for being ambitious. When he looks around will he see a club and a chairman that are going places ? I think not and if he keeps this kind of form up i don't expect him to be a GFC player for too long.
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:39 pm

I only saw the goals come in on Soccer special,but it was fantastic seeing the two late goals go in.When Plymouth scored I thought we were out,but it shows the great character we have in the squad to come back.Another goal for Dack,and pleasing for Hessy to grab the winner.It looks like Plymouth deserved to win,but we dug in and got the result.Lets hope we can get a premier league side at home again like last season.

Another goal or two in August,and we may see a couple of big bids for Dack.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions