[8 Aug 15] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
50%
John Egan
17%
Deji Oshilada
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Jordan Houghton
No votes
Bradley Dack
17%
Emmanuel Osadebe
17%
Ben Williamson
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes

Total votes : 6

[8 Aug 15] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:52 am

This is the 19th season we have started the campaign at home in the 3rd tier of the Football League. There have been 6 wins, 7 draws and 5 defeats.

Of the last 7 seasons in which we started with a home game, 5 ended in wins however the previous occasion (Colchester) ended in defeat.

It is dead even in the head-to-heads between the Gills and Sheffield Utd. Both have won 5 games at Priestfield and both have won 4 at Brammall Lane.

Sheffield Utd were the only club last season not to concede a goal in the opening 10 minutes of a league match.

Last season’s 2-0 win against Sheffield Utd ended a run of 3 straight defeats at home to the Yorkshire club and 5 games without a win.

Sheff Utd won 626 free-kicks last season (an average of 13.6 a game). It was 193 more than the Gills' total and 248 more than the side with the fewest (Chesterfield).

Attendances in games starting with a home match have been 6,792, 5,360, 5,655, 6,852, 6,075 and 7,293 (Colchester) in 2005.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:06
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Sheffield Utd: Norris

3:43
GOAL! Gillingham 2-0 Sheffield Utd: Oshilda

3:48
Half-time: 2-0

3:53
The Gills led at half time in 4 of their 27 home games last season, half the number of leads earned at the break in their away games!

3:58
Despite finishing 5th in L1 last season, only Colchester led fewer games at half time than Sheff Utd however Utd didn't lose any of those 9.

4:05
The second half resumes.

4:25
Today's attendance is 7,511. In the corresponding fixture last season, Utd brought 781 fans in a crowd of 5,704.

4:42
GOAL! Gillingham 3-0 Sheffield Utd: Egan
Own goal scored by Neill Collins but awarded to John Egan.

4:53
GOAL! Gillingham 4-0 Sheffield Utd: Dack

4:55
Full-time: 4-0

Attendance 7,511 (1,832)
Referee: Lee Collins
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [8 Aug 15] Gillingham v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Going to miss the first home game for years as i`m on holiday in Blackpool.Probably the toughest Team we could have played first.Hopefully we can get them before they click and get off to a good start.Nearly 2,000 fans are coming down,so a bumper crowd and atmosphere to start with.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:39 am

McGlashan is looking to make an impact against against Sheffield Utd.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spor ... des-41259/
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:03 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
--------------Egan--------------Oshilaja---------------Ehmer----------------
Jackson-----------A.Morris----------------Houghton--------------Garmston
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
-------------------Williamson----------------Norris---------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Wright, Hessenthaler, Loft, McGlashan, B.Dickenson, Donnelly

The signings of Ryan Jackson 25, Adedeji Oshilaja 22, Max Ehmer 23 and Bradley Garmston 21 this summer have greatly improved Gillingham's Defence and these four alongside John Egan will give our defence a lot of athleticism and all five players are comfortable in possession of the ball, and I can see Stuart Nelson playing short goal-kicks to John Egan and Max Ehmer as Gillingham will build attacks from the back, I still think Justin Edinburgh will sign another centre back to provide cover and competition for Egan, Ehmer and Oshilaja and perhaps Gillingham will sign another centre back on loan.

Jordan Houghton has to start tomorrow against Sheffield United, I think he could be similar to Patrick Bamford in-terms of ability and he looks like a top central midfielder already and I think Aaron Morris will start alongside Jordan Houghton in central midfield, up-front will see Ben Williamson and Luke Norris play alongside each other with Bradley Dack in The Central Attacking Midfielder Role, at the start of pre-season I was expecting Rory Donnelly and Cody McDonald to be Gillingham's First Choice Strike-Force, but Rory Donnelly hasn't impressed me in pre-season so far and needs time to settle into new surroundings, Cody McDonald being injured is a huge blow because you want your top goal-scorer fully fit and ready to start against Sheffield United.

At least tomorrow's match will be a enjoyable spectacle as Sheffield United are not going to play for a point and Gillingham do play better against the better teams, it's when we have to break down Fleetwood Town at home where Gillingham come un-stuck, and with 1,600+ Sheffield United Supporters in the away end tomorrow, the atmosphere inside the ground should be decent as well.

If we can leave Priestfield Stadium at 5PM with our home form still in-tact, then I will be pleased with a draw and delighted with a win - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:43 pm

It wasn't just a win it was a blood bath, 4-0 against one of the early favorites to win the division,well done Glasgow and the boys. OK top of the Division, do I smell a repeat of a couple of years ago when we won our SECOND bit of silverwear in 120 years.??? GO GILLS
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:54 pm

I saw the goals going in on Twitter,and couldn`t believe it! Many Tweets saying the same thing "Gills completely outplaying Utd" I would have been content with a point against the favourites for the League,but this was a result that no one would have expected.Top of the league even if it is just for a week! Dack`s goal looks class,I just hope we don`t get no offers before the window closes.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:38 pm

This was a similar set up, a similar formation and only one change to the Brighton friendly in which the Gills looked fantastic and so too were they here. Utd I feel came believing the hype they would walk the league, what a wake up call! The Gills controlled and dictated the play and after the second goal many of their heads dropped. They had spent a lot up front and almost had the ethos of simply outscoring the opposition but they barely got a look. When allowed to attack and play we have the players to destroy, its how we would deal with teams stifling us that is key.

Its hard to give a man of the match. I went for Osadebe as again the ball just stuck to him even when "losing" possession (can't believe the BBC shortened his name from Emmanuel to Emma)! What a noise inside the ground! More of the same please!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [8 Aug 15] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:03 am

Best atmosphere in the rainham end I can remember for years. I know in part that was due to the number of away fans which seems to always galvanise us but I hope we can be that loud when there are only a handful of away fans. And what about the rest of the ground? I looked around whilst we were in the middle of a song and the GRS and the MS still seemed to be sitting quietly with no noise. Wouldn't it be great if there was a wall of noise from three sides of the ground? Whilst talking about the crowd, I thought the Sheffield fans who applauded vigorously as the gills players left the field showed real quality and I hope our fans can do that when a team has played well against us. Anyway, I had a great day, from meeting up with friends to watching such a super performance. Coming just after watching england regaining the ashes then going to my club after the game to see our team win as well it was a perfect sporting day. Here's to many more!!
lidbid46

Re: [8 Aug 15] GILLS v Sheff Utd Match Thread

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/126587548547/fom-blog-gillingham-4-0-sheffield-united

Here is My FOM BLOG for Gillingham's 4-0 home win against Sheffield United on Saturday - Enjoy :D
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions