[ 25 Apr 15 ] Scunthorpe v Gills Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Glenn Morris
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Leon Legge
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Oliver Muldoon
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Bradley Dack
100%
Gavin Hoyte
No votes
John Marquis
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 25 Apr 15 ] Scunthorpe v Gills Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:23 pm

After wins in 1964, 65 and 66 the Gills have only managed 1 more win at Scunthorpe from their last 14 visits - the last a 4-1 win in 1999.

Scunthorpe's 3-0 win at Priestfield started a run of 9 away games without defeat. They are winless in 9 away but are unbeaten in 6 at home.

Scunthorpe have drawn 6 games in the league at home so far. All 6 have ended 1-1 including both their last 2 matches at home.

Scunthorpe have kept just 3 clean sheets in the league all season, 3 fewer than the next worst side. 1 of those was the 3-0 win at Priestfield earlier in the season.

Over the last 8 away games the Gills have the 5th best record in the division and have lost just once, a total bettered only by Preston.

Scunthorpe have seen both sides score in 30 of their 44 games so far whilst the Gills have seen it in 27 (the highest and third highest respectively).

The Gills have earned 34 points in 2015, the 6th highest total in League 1 and 5 more than 4th placed Swindon who were top at the end of 2014.

3:02
Kick-Off

3:04
GOAL! Scunthorpe 0-1 Gillingham: Norris
Scunthorpe have scored the opening goal 22 times, 5 more than the Gills but only took 39 points (2 fewer than the Gills).

3:13
GOAL! Scunthorpe 1-1 Gillingham.

3:21
GOAL! Scunthorpe 2-1 Gillingham.

3:28
Play suspended due to torrential rain.

3:54
Play resumes.

4:15
Half-time: 2-1
Previously Utd had only led at half time in 3 of their 22 home games, the lowest in the league. The Gills had led in 6 of their away games.

4:28
The second half kicks-off.

5:07
Cody McDonald has a strong penalty appeal turned down.

5:09
Both sides have conceded 13 goals in the final 10 minutes of league fixtures however the Gills have scored 17 then compared with Utd's 7.

5:19
The Gills haven't won their final league match away from home now for the past 6 seasons.

5:20
FULL-TIME:2-1

Attendance: 3,763 (348)
Referee: Andy Haines
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 25 Apr 15 ] Scunthorpe v Gills Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Can we get a win on the road in our last away game? Scunthorpe look just about now so they may be more relaxed.I think we will go there and attack them,but i`m not sure if we will get a win.I would be pleased with a point and to reach the 60 point mark with a game to spare.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

---------------------------------G.Morris--------------------------------------
--------------Egan---------------Legge-----------------Ehmer----------------
McGlashan---------A.Morris------------------Loft------------------------Bell
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald---------------Marquis--------------------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), Hoyte, Muldoon, Hessenthaler, Pritchard, Dickenson, Norris

The only change I can see happening is Amari'i Bell starting at left wing back with Brennan Dickenson being dropped to the substitutes bench, other then that, it will be the same eighteen man squad Gillingham named against Rochdale last Saturday and I can see Justin Edinburgh sticking with the 3.4.1.2 formation Gillingham have played in the past few week's.

I will be leaving at 8.15AM in the morning to get to Scunthorpe United for the final away game of the season, and although this traditionally means fancy dress and some unusual costumes, I won't be going in fancy dress :D

Here's hoping that we will be all smiling at 5PM tomorrow as Gillingham pick up all three points against Scunthorpe United - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:37 pm

I think the weather played a major part in why the game was poor after the first 26 minutes.We went 1-0 up in the 2nd minute,and then should have been 3-0 up and the game killed off,but defensive mistakes put us 2-1 down.Then the torrential rain came which made the game unplayable with the match then suspended for 30 minutes.After that it didn`t sound a great game and we couldn`t grab the equaliser.Fair play to all the Scunthorpe staff including a Chef who helped clear the pitch of water.Good to see Dack & Marquis also brushing the water off the pitch.We can still get to the 60 point mark and also finish in the top half which would be a great season.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:22 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32362593

Justin Edinburgh mentioned that "other parties" didn't conduct themselves properly once the game re-started after the rain delay, for me, that comment is a dig at Referee Andy Haines who should of awarded Gillingham a penalty in The Second Half for a blatant foul on Cody McDonald.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/norris-im-glad-we-finished-35813/

Luke Norris was a relieved man on Saturday despite Gillingham losing 2-1 away to Scunthorpe.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/scunthorpe-v-gills-reaction-35799/

Justin Edinburgh was left to reflect on a "strange" Saturday afternoon at Scunthorpe.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:02 pm

I think the ref seemed to use the conditions as an excuse to not have to make any sort of decision. Radio Kent felt the penalty claim was very strong but also it sounded like he should have sent Bradley Dack off for a strong challenge as well it evens out I guess. In Dack's defence you can say the conditions helped him slide further quicker but then you could also say you shouldn't make a challenge like that if conditions are that bad.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:49 pm

SIXTY POINTS, finish in the top half of the 3rd Division and that would make it a great season ?? Hope if any of us ever have a heart attack the doctors and nurses do a better job than that in saving our lives.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions