[ 18 Apr 15 ] Gills v Rochdale Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat May 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Glenn Morris
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Leon Legge
50%
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Dack
33%
John Marquis
17%
Cody McDonald
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Josh Pritchard
No votes
Amari'i Bell
No votes

Total votes : 6

[ 18 Apr 15 ] Gills v Rochdale Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:56 pm

Draws outnumber wins in games between the sides - there have been 15 whilst the Gills have won 11 times and Rochdale have won 13.

More goals have been scored in league games involving Rochdale this season than any other (126). Gills are joint 3rd with 123.

Rochdale have won 6 of their last 11 league games but have only won once in 9 away trips losing 6 of the last 8.

Rochdale are the 5th highest scorers in L1 with 69 and have scored 4 or more goals on 6 occasions (including in 2 of their 1st 3 away trips)

Rochdale scored 16 goals in their opening 6 away league matches but have only managed 3 from the last 6 (and 11 from their last 11).

Both sides have won 7 games from the last 17 league matches but the Gills had only lost 3 of the remaining 10 whilst Rochdale lost 8.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:16
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Rochdale: Dack

3:21
Rochdale have now conceded the opening goal in 17 of their 22 away games (the joint worst league total). They won 3 of the previous 16 however.

3:43
Rochdale hit the post.

3:50
Half time: 1-0

3:56
This is only the 4th time the Gills have led at the break at home in the league this season but they had won all the previous 3.

4:07
The second half resumes.

4:24
Jamie Jones is sent off for Rochdale.

4:31
Matty Lund is sent off for Rochdale.

4:57
Full time: 1-0

Attendance: 5,430 (163)
Referee: Andy D'Urso
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 18 Apr 15 ] Gills v Rochdale Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:26 pm

This game is between two Teams who don`t really have much to play for.Rochdale realistically wont get 6th place now,and we`re safe in our mentality.Rochdale got stuffed at home to Swindon,but they will want a response.We should have confidence after coming back to draw at Preston on Tuesday Night.Edinburgh wants to see us continue until the final whistle of the season,so hopefully we play well.

I have chosen to sit in the Rainham end on Saturday for a change.I haven`t sat there for more than 10 years,so it will make a nice change.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 am

Edinburgh is wary of a wounded Rochdale after their thrashing at home to Swindon.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spor ... ale-35219/

Also for anyone like me catching the Train to Gillingham tomorrow,there are no trains between Faversham and Rainham,and some will also be buses to Gillingham depending what time you go.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:12 am

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

---------------------------------G.Morris--------------------------------------
--------------Egan---------------Legge-----------------Ehmer----------------
McGlashan---------A.Morris------------------Loft------------------------Bell
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald---------------Marquis--------------------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), Hoyte, Martin, Hessenthaler, Pritchard, Dickenson, Norris

I think Gillingham will keep with the same starting eleven that played against Preston North End on Tuesday Night, the only change I can see from the eighteen man squad from the team we took to Deepdale is Joe Martin being named on the substitute's bench with Oliver Muldoon dropping out of the squad, Josh Pritchard might get a longer substitute appearance after his sensational cross for Leon Legge's late equaliser, but those who started against Preston North End all deserve to start against Rochdale.

I like to see Gillingham keep pushing for a top half / top ten position in League One, but Rochdale will be very difficult to play against as Keith Hill's Side's usually play entertaining football that is decent to watch, and even when we played Rochdale in the playoff's back in The 2008 / 2009 Season, the four games against Rochdale and Gillingham were only separated by one goal and two of those results were draws (the other two matches Gillingham won by the odd goal), and we were lucky to get a 1-1 at Spotlands earlier in the season as well.

Fingers crossed that Gillingham can pick up three points tomorrow - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 pm

Man Of The Match was difficult for me to pick today, The Sponsor's Man Of The Match went to Bradley Dack who scored the only goal of the game, and although Bradley Dack had a decent game for Gillingham in the middle of midfield, I have gone for Leon Legge who won the vast majority of his aerial battles today and dealt with the physical presence that Calavin Andrew had up-front for Rochdale.

Leon Legge headered Bradley Dack's Corner Kick wide of the far post and had that gone in and 2-0 up with Rochdale down to nine players on the pitch at the time would of sealed all three points for Gillingham a lot earlier then the full time whistle, I also think that Max Ehmer and John Egan give Leon Legge the added security in this three man central defensive partnership as John Egan and Max Ehmer are more comfortable in possession and distributing the ball, and Leon Legge can handle the physical side of the game and match up against strikers like Calvin Andrew, James Hanson and Jon Stead, and like-wise, Leon Legge probably gives Max Ehmer and John Egan added security for the goal as well.

I also think that all three centre back's played a crucial role as Ashley Eastham and Jason Kennedy were out-numbered and didn't know who to pick up out of Leon Legge, John Egan and Max Ehmer and this gave Bradley Dack a free header inside Rochdale's Penalty Area from Doug Loft's Corner Kick to score the only goal of the game.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:05 am

This system seems to suit Ehmer and Legge although not quite so sure about Egan tucked out further although he copes with it well. Question is do we keep this next season and if so do we keep midfielders in wing back positions (yesterday it was McGlashan and Dickenson) or do we go for attacking defenders like we have seen this season with the loanees we have had?

I thought we did just enough yesterday which was disappointing considering we were 2 man to the good and even then Dack and Cody still had 4 men around them so where ours were I don't know. Then I heard JE's interview and he said the sendings off disrupted the game and the players saw out the game like they were asked, of course not planning for the opposition to have two sent off so I suppose all that comes with experience, something these young players won't have a great deal of yet.

Three points is three points and it looks to be a great finish to the season. I won't say we are 9th until the games on Tuesday have been played!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby baronnight » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Rochdale made it hard for us with only 9 men, they took the gamble of leaving 2/3 players up field looking for a break, should we have taken the risk of going for the 2nd goal and chance conceding the equaliser, In the end we won so probably got it right.
baronnight

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:22 pm

I didn`t think it was a great game,particularly once Rochdale went down to 9 men.I thought Rochdale looked more dangerous in the first half,but we scored the only goal of the game from a well worked corner.Dack scoring the header on his 100th appearance for the club.Aaron Morris had a great shot tipped over as well in the first half.Rochdale played some good Football and were unlucky not to get a draw.Our clean sheet was massively down to Legge I thought as he won every header,and made some important last ditch blocks.He also came close to scoring with a header.He was my MOTM.Rochdale`s sending off`s both looked the correct decision,especially the first one.Before the card was given it also looked like their keeper pushed Marquis in the face.The only disappointment after was not stretching them and getting that second goal,as we played with fear and made it difficult for ourselves when we should have pushed on for the killer second.Saying that it is three points and we`re 9th in the table and on 59 points so we have to be pleased.Two clean sheets at home recently,and two wins is pleasing,adding in that impressive point at Preston.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:24 pm

Eleven playing nine ( and not a very good nine) proves how far off promotion we are. We should have swamped them, scored three or four,we had nothing to loose .
Some of the places are in place for next season but I think Glasgow has a lot of work to do between now and the start of the next campaign to make us any better than we are now. I hope Scally opens the purse strings and we get a couple of players in between now and next season, or else it will be same old same old next year.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions