[ 6 Apr 15 ] Leyton Orient v Gills Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Glenn Morris
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Leon Legge
No votes
Amari'i Bell
No votes
Doug Loft
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Bradley Dack
50%
Luke Norris
No votes
Cody McDonald
50%
Gavin Hoyte
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 6 Apr 15 ] Leyton Orient v Gills Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:39 pm

The Gills have won the last 2 ties between the sides after Leyton Orient won the previous 3.

The Gills haven't won at Orient in the league since 1996, a 1-0 win. Apart from an FA Cup win, the other 4 visits saw 2 defeats follow 2 draws.

Leyton Orient have lost 22 of their last 49 league games having previously only lost 14 from 67!

After 2 wins in 6, Orient have won their last 2 League 1 games. On their 2 previous occasions, back to back wins were each followed by defeats.

Leyton Orient have lost 11 games at home, 4 more than the amount they have lost away.

Orient are unbeaten in 3 at home (winning 2) and have conceded just 1 goal ending a run of 5 defeats in 6 (conceding 11 in the process).

Leyton Orient had the fewest number of blank sheets in the league last season (4) but have had 14 so far this season, 4 more than the Gills.

Last season Dean Cox, Kevin Lisbie and David Mooney scored 56 goals between them but this season have managed 17. Chris Dagnell is top scorer with 12.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:30
Ehmer concedes a penalty.

3:31
GOAL! Leyton Orient 1-0 Gillingham (pen).
Leyton Orient had previously only scored first in a quarter of their 20 league games at home but won 4 of them.

3:35
GOAL! Leyton Orient 1-1 Gillingham: McGlashan.
Jermaine McGlashan scores his 6th goal for the club, his 4th in an away game. 5 have come in his last 16 games, the same amount as Cody McDonald!

3:43
GOAL! Leyton Orient 1-2 Gillingham: McDonald.
Cody McDonald scores his 63rd Gills goal and his 17th with his head.

3:48
Half-time: 1-2

3:52
Leyton Orient have been behind at the break at home in the league in 10 of their 21 games before today, more than any other League 1 side.

3:59
Bradley Dack's assist was his 11th this season (and his 17th in his Gills career) making him the top goals provider for the Gills. Goals and assists combined both he and Cody currently have 20 each.

4:04
The second half kicks off.

4:13
Penalty to Gills won by Luke Norris.

4:14
GOAL! Leyton Orient 1-3 Gillingham: McDonald (pen).
Cody McDonald scores his 4th brace of the season. He has 4 of the Gills 8 this season.

4:25
GOAL! Leyton Orient 2-3 Gillingham.
Former-Gill Darius Henderson scores for Orient.

4:31
Bradley Dack hits the outside of the post.

4:41
Leyton Orient hit the post!

4:42
GOAL! Leyton Orient 3-3 Gillingham.
Former-Gills loanee Josh Wright scores.

4:44
Orient are unbeaten in 3 at home (winning 2) and previously conceded just 1 goal ending a run of 5 losses in 6 (conceding 11 in the process).

4:53
Full-time: 3-3

Ref: Mark Haywood
Attendance: 6,394 (1,191)
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 6 Apr 15 ] Leyton Orient v Gills Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:59 pm

Hopefully with us away on Monday we will see a better performance.Orient have picked up a bit and have won their last two games so they will be full of confidence.They will be right up for the game as they still need points to get to 50+ points.I hope we start with Marquis and Cody as they work the best together from what we have seen.There will be over 1,000 Gills fans at the game,so the fans deserve a good performance.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 am

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

---------------------------------G.Morris--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer----------------------Bell
--------------------A.Morris-------------------Loft-----------------------------
McGlashan----------------------------------------------------------Dickenson
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
---------------------------------Marquis---------------------------------------

Subs: Nelson (GK), Legge, Hessenthaler, Pritchard, Muldoon, Norris, McDonald

Personally, I would like to see Stuart Nelson in goal and Cody McDonald alongside John Marquis in a 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation, but if Justin Edinburgh is going to persist with the 4.2.3.1 formation, then at least play two wingers on both flanks and start with Jermaine McGlashan on the right and Brennan Dickenson on the left, because John Marquis isn't a left midfielder, neither is Luke Norris and you don't want to be accommodating players into the starting eleven, because if we play either player on the left wing then they will drop into a more central position meaning that we don't have anyone on the left wing.

Hopefully Gillingham are given instructions to press high, get into Leyton Orient's faces and try and win possession of the ball in Leyton Orient's third of the pitch, I just felt that Gillingham dropped off in-terms of movement, intensity and quality against Fleetwood Town on Good Friday, almost like the team felt that they could win against Fleetwood Town by putting in a five out of ten performance, Leyton Orient is a must win game today (well it is for me), One more win will secure Gillingham's League One Status and I want to see Gillingham push for a top half / top ten finish in League One.

The one thing I am apprehensive about, is a repeat of the scenes we saw at Leyton Orient last season where seats were ripped up, and fans who sat near the trouble makers had a unpleasant experience in the away end, not because Gillingham's performance was poor on the pitch last year, but also, they were fearful of there own safety and I as very lucky last season not to be sitting near the trouble makers, but with reserved seating you don't know who your sitting next to, 99% of supporters are well behaved and are a credit to the club, but when Gillingham travel to local away games, we do seem to pick up more of that 1% who cause trouble and give Gillingham a bad reputation, a repeat of those scenes today could see Gillingham given no tickets for Leyton Orient away in future away games.

Hopefully we're all smiling at 5PM as Gillingham pick up three valuable points - COME ON YOU GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

For the second away game in succession a heck of a lot of stuff going on! It's making the home games look silly and would have been worse had we won as the away games seem to be where the points are coming from at the moment! 9 shots on target, 22 shots to their 10 and the score sounded as if it could easily have been 7-5 to us! Disappointing to lose from that position but it sounded like one of those games.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Think we can except that the Marquis of Gillingham will not be here next year, sounded like one of those games where the crowd went away happy after seeing 6 goals even if L O are still a bit to close to relegation for comfort.
I thought there owner was pumping a bunch of money into the team, a gate of six and a half thousand not bad for them , I guess a 1000 or so were Gills supporters so they had a fun day out with 22 /23 shots at the Orient goal.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I only listened but it seemed like it was end to end for the first part of the match,and could have been 2-2 after 5 minutes.Radio Kent said their penalty was a definite one.I was pleased with our response as we kept the pressure on and McGlashan,Norris,and Cody were causing their defenders problems all afternoon.McGlashan equalised,and Cody put us ahead with a decent header.Norris they said could have put us 1-3 up at H/T but his shot was well saved.Norris was fouled early in the second half and Cody smashed in his second and our third.We had chances to put the game to bed and that is what has cost us.22 shots 9 on target and we could have had 6 goals.The ex Gills player curse has haunted us with Darius Henderson,and Josh Wright both scoring against us.A draw usually would be a good point,but we threw the 3 points away.At 1-3 up we should have seen the game out.

Bradford at home on Saturday,and we need to start playing well at home and get back to winning ways there.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:26 am

I thought Bradley Dack was superb on Easter Monday, Intercepting the ball high up the pitch and putting in the complete midfielder performance and I would not be surprised if a few Championship Clubs put in a concrete offer for Bradley Dack in the summer, good thing Peter Taylor tied Bradley Dack down to a long term contract until 2018, because that long term contract means that Gillingham don't have to accept the first offer that comes along for him.

Bradley Dack saw one curling effort saved by Alex Cisak, another effort on goal clipped the outside of the post and that was the only thing missing from Bradley Dack's performance against Leyton Orient to cap off a top display from the young midfielder - a goal.

But the cross for Cody McDonald's header to give Gillingham the lead was world class.

I also thought that there were decent performances from Jermaine McGlashan, Max Ehmer, Doug Loft, Jake Hessenthaler, Luke Norris, and Cody McDonald was unlucky to not score a hat-trick and on any other day I would of picked Cody McDonald for Man Of The Match, but Bradley Dack's performance really did stand out for me and I was impressed with how the young midfielder played against Leyton Orient on Easter Monday.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions