[ 17 Mar 15 ] Chesterfield v Gills Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

[ 17 Mar 15 ] Chesterfield v Gills Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 pm

The Gills are unbeaten in 6 away games and have picked up 5 more points away in the league than Chesterfield have in the last 4 at home. Chesterfield have only managed 1 more point in their last 8 home games (13) than the Gills have managed away!

Chesterfield were beaten 3-2 at home to Coventry on Saturday and have lost 4 of their last 6 matches.

The Gills have won 1-0 in 3 of the last 4 visits to Chesterfield. They suffered a defeat there in 2011, the only loss in 6 visits.

The away side have been victorious in 4 of the last 6 ties between the teams with another ending as a draw.

Oliver Muldoon became the 33rd player used by the Gills this season in the game against Bristol City. Our opponents tonight have used 34 whilst City had only used 25.

7:45
Kick-Off

7:48
GOAL! Chesterfield 1-0 Gillingham.
Clucas scores for Chesterfield. Eoin Doyle scored 25 goals in 32 games for Chesterfield who have a higher win percentage since he left! Sam Clucas is next with 8 in 36 games.

7:52
The Gills concede on 3 minutes for the second time this season. They are the only 2 goals before the 7th minute when the Gills had scored 3 goals in.

7:59
Before today both sides had scored first in 14 league games this season. Chesterfield won 11 of those 14, 1 more than the Gills.

7:57
GOAL! Chesterfield 2-0 Gillingham.

8:11
Under Justin Edinburgh, a 3rd goal has been scored 4 times in Gills games and each of those 4 the goal was scored by the Gills!

8:32
Half-time: 2-0

8:35
Chesterfield have previously won all 7 games they had led at the break at home. The Gills have yet to win losing at the break away from home.

9:31
GOAL! Chesterfield 3-0 Gillingham.

9:37
Full-time: 3-0

Probably not worth a man of the match vote!!! Here was the team:
Stuart Nelson
Joe Martin
Gavin Hoyte
John Egan
Max Ehmer
Aaron Morris
Doug Loft
Oliver Muldoon
Bradley Dack
John Marquis
Cody McDonald
-------
Jake Hessenthaler
Jermaine McGlashan
Luke Norris
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 17 Mar 15 ] Chesterfield v Gills Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

The second of the two away games in a few days.We had a great away point at Bristol City on Saturday,and held on despite being under the cosh for most of the second half.I expect we will be more attacking at Chesterfield,and i`m going to go for a tight Gills win.Chesterfield are a point ahead of us in the league and come into this game off the back of a 2-3 home defeat to Coventry.A win for us would put us on 50 points which would be fantastic.

What would be your Gills Team?
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-------------------Martin
---------------------------------A.Morris--------------------------------------
---------------Muldoon---------------------------------Loft-------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Marquis----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, Hessenthaler, Galbraith, McGlashan, Dickenson, Norris

Even though we have played Bristol City Away on Saturday and put in a real shift to earn that 0-0 draw, I cannot see Justin Edinburgh making any changes to the team that started the game at Ashton Gate at the weekend, John Egan did land very awkwardly at the weekend and carried on playing and I hope he is fit enough to play tonight, can Aaron Morris start two matches in four days having just come back from a long term injury himself and will Oliver Muldoon keep his spot in the starting eleven, if there is a match where Justin Edinburgh might make 2-3 changes to the starting eleven then it would be tonight's game against Chesterfield.

I think we will keep with the same eleven as Justin Edinburgh hasn't rotated the squad and only made changes if players are injured / ill, the only change I can see to the eighteen man squad happening is that Jake Hessenthaler will be named on the bench with Mahlon Romeo dropping out of the squad.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Your line up looks about right FOM.Will Hess come back in for Mulldoon if he is ready to play?
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 pm

A very disappointing result. All the hard work gained against Swindon undone in the match but I guess that's how it so often goes. It sounded like Chesterfield had watched what we did to Swindon and then did it to us instead! Bristol City possibly didn't bother and relied on their superiority instead.

Only our 2nd defeat in 13 but also only 1 win in 6 now. With Colchester fighting at the bottom and winning 2-0 we could do with a good win Saturday to avoid going on a little poor run that might make the final couple of games unnecessarily uncomfortable!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:20 pm

I listened to the game and we sounded poor tonight.2-0 down in 11 minutes killed the game early.A shame as we earned a good point at Bristol City,and have not turned up at Chesterfield.I think any hope of nicking that last play-off place has gone,and we need to concentrate on hitting 54 points as quickly as we can.Colchester will be a tough game and they usually nick a win at Priestfield,so hopefully we will be ready for the game.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Sounded like quite a few players had an off-day today. First real test for Edinburgh as the team has picked itself virtually since he came. On the plus side we managed 3 shots on target, 3 more than we managed in the 0-0 draw at the runaway league leaders! :-D

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 am

Not worried about anything to do with relegation, with 47 points already in the bag with nine games to play, two wins and were home and dry so no worries there.
Shame we let in two goals in the first 12 minutes difficult when you have to throw everyone in to trying to get back on equal terms, but thats the way it goes, so lets hit the 50 point mark on Saturday then cruise into the off season, re group, bring in one more goal scorer , boost the midfield and lets have a run at promotion next season.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:35 pm

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/chesterfield-v-gillingham-reaction-33535/

Justin Edinburgh felt his side were their own worst enemies on Tuesday night.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/chesterfield-v-gillingham-player-33536/

Defensive midfielder Aaron Morris is hoping Tuesday’s disappointing performance proves to be a one off.
fan_of_mulligan

Return to Match Discussions