Peterboro Utd (A) - 10 Feb 15

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Re: Peterborough Utd v Gillingham- Match Thread

Postby Rimshot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:17 am

Gary, I think we may genuinely have found a new approach post-Taylor. It appears that the gang of 4 felt they had nothing to lose by being more positive in the style of play we use. The performance against Bristol City was quite outstanding in some ways and a win would not have flattered us there - it's particularly significant when you think of our previous performances against them this season.

Last night was a very good result too. JE may be simply learning the lesson from the last few games or maybe his style IS different to Taylor's. Also, I have a lot of time for young Mr Dack's ability, whatever his off-field exploits may be. He is turning into the quality of player that Rooney might have been.

Under Scally's tenure, I don't think we have any chance of long-term success because his personal interest always come first. Going back to BD, for example, we would sell him at the first opportunity. That doesn't mean I don't get excited by this sort of victory - at heart I'm no more sophisticated than the 10 year old who first stood on the terraces in 1958 !

I don't believe we are by any means a consistent, promotion-chasing team yet but I do believe there is a chance the players will now be encouraged to see what they can do, rather than just trying to stop the opposition from doing what they do. If that is the case it will lead to better football matches, more entertainment and hopefully more success.
Rimshot

Postby lidbid46 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 pm

Of course we would sell any player if a decent fee was offered. We are a first division club with aspirations but money is important to us so if a bigger club offers money we have to listen. Also, once a bigger club starts sniffing around our players, then the player would want to move for his own sake and that generally affects performance and causes confusion. Look at Newport once our interest in JE became clear; same thing happens with managers. What we seem to be doing well recently is the development of youngsters who we sell and get add ons later as they progress. I don't know much about Scally, neither particularly liking or disliking him, but some of the criticism of him is laughable. Those who think we will never get anywhere with him seem to forget that our most successful times have been with him as chairman.
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:55 pm

I agree with a lot of the last two posts, especially Lidbid's last bit. We are good at bringing players through, not only that but helping to develop other people's as well. Kortney Hause now appears to be a first team regular and Michael Doughty played in the Premier League for his parent club last night when I thought he was WELL down the pecking order there!! I don't know if JE has many Spurs connections left but our recent record of developing these young players could help us receive even better ones in the future. You see Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal youngsters out on season long loans that good enough for top Championship sides.

We were definitely too negative under Taylor, trying not to concede and then inviting pressure which led to the goal we were trying to prevent. In players like Cody, Norris, Dickenson, Dack, McGlashan we have lightening quick and/or powerful young attacking players that can cause damage. With the right support players they will always score and that has to be better than defending, better to win 3-2 than lose 1-0. There have been a few games this season where we saw signs of it. Newcastle stands out most, well behind on possession not many attacks and Utd only scored from a lucky own goal yet we matched them in many ways. We are still having less possession, we are still having fewer shots but we are getting more clinical as we attack more. For example in the 4 goals scored between Dack's goals against Walsall and Peterboro we had only managed 4 shots on target and scored from them all!!

This isn't something that has just started. The GO4 got the players playing in positions where they were most effective and I hope JE will add his input to make this even better so imagine where we might have been had Taylor not made so many changes or played that woeful 5 at the back! We are a long way off a promotion challenge but, with how tight the league is, we are the team in form and we could end up there by default as sides with late form often do. How odd it would be if under Allen and Taylor we targeted the play-offs but fell well short and then, after not aiming for them, we did!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Let's be clear, my criticism of Scally is not confined to his success or otherwise as a club Chairman, although whatever is said you can never escape the reality that he has had a damn good living out of us whilst not putting any investment in. If you take into account his antics inside and outside of football in my view he is an unpleasant, untrustworthy man who's behaviour has damaged the club both financially and reputationally.

Do motives, methods and manners matter ? Unless you believe that tax avoiders,unscrupulous bankers, jihadists etc only behave as they do 'out of human nature' with no blame attaching then the answer is yes. I'm not drawing an equals sign between Jihadi John and Sheikh Scally of Dubai, I'm just saying you have to judge people by what they say and do.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I honestly don't know how I feel about him....indifferent is about the best I can think of. He can be embarrassing for the club (court cases, the "bury the hatchet in Pulis' head comment on Sky Sports) but then again I feel the sneaky stadium shift was far from being a dodgy deal and actually saved the club from any potential liquidation. Then there is the Dubai saga but we have been to Wembley for our only 3 visits whilst we was in charge.

I guarantee there is nobody out there willing to take the club over without taking us backwards and looking at some of the bonkers chairman out there I would rather stay as we are. Tricky one, but simply demanding he goes would achieve little in my opinion.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Another great win, picked up more points in three days then I expected us to pick up all month long. Don't honestly think Glasgow had a lot to do with it although I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope he leads us into a playoff spot and we win that and get promoted to THE CHAMPIONSHIP, I swear I have said it before, but I would give Lidbit's left n*t to get back there.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:34 pm

I loved every minute of Wembley...well all but six minutes of it...but you can hardly compare other GFC chairman's reigns because the Wembley play-offs didn't exist back then. Ask yourself this through, where was Scally when we got promoted? Answer, soaking up every minute of the glory ! ...and when we went down ?
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:52 pm

I have seen the goals and Dack`s goal was very much Lampard esq.He had the ball in the middle of the pitch passed it to one of our players then you see about 10 seconds later the ball put in the box and Dack is first there with perfect arrival timing to score first time.The Peterborough fans were really impressed with Dack last night,and one of the press journalists tweeted that Dack was the best player on the pitch by a mile.I think we could find a few bids coming in for Dack in the summer,probably one of them Peterborough.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:07 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/110923985587/fom-blog-peterborough-united-1-2-gillingham

This is My FOM BLOG For Gillingham's 2 - 1 away win against Peterborough United on Tuesday Night - Enjoy :D
fan_of_mulligan

Previous

Return to Match Discussions