Sheff Utd (H) - 7 Feb 15

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Gillingham v Sheffield Utd-Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Gills are back at home this Saturday as we take on Sheffield Utd.Utd are in the Play off zone and their last League result was a good 2-0 win against promotion rivals Swindon.They lost an FA Cup replay yesterday to Preston for a chance to play Man Utd at home.We`re unbeaten in 4 games in all competitions so confidence should be quite high.A point wouldn`t be bad against Sheffield Utd,and a win would be brilliant.

If we`re lucky we might have our new Manager before this game ;)
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: Gillingham v Sheffield Utd-Match Thread

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:14 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
---------------------------------Pritchard--------------------------------------
-----------McGlashan-----------------------------------Loft------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Marquis----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, McKain, Hessenthaler, Dickenson, Galbraith, Norris

After our 1-1 draw against Walsall on Sunday I don't want to see Doug Loft playing at left back ever again this season, I know Bradley Garmston is weak defensively, but at least he is a left back and Doug Loft needs to be playing in his more natural midfielder position (even though Doug Loft hasn't put in decent / consistent performances for Gillingham this season), the only real selection dilemma we have got is whether we keep Jermaine McGlashan on the bench as a impact sub or keep Jake Hessenthaler in the starting eleven, I thought Jake Hessenthaler looked fatigued on Sunday Evening and he needs a rest, and with three matches in eight days we will need to rotate the squad.

I also think we owe Sheffield United for that awful stoppage time at Bramall Lane last season and the foul on Luke Norris in the build up to there winning goal and hopefully Gillingham score in the ninth minute of stoppage time when only six minutes are shown by the fourth official, but with Iain Williamson as Referee tomorrow then anything can happen, because Iain Williamson was the referee who sent Mark Bentley off when Jimmy Ryan punched Mark Bentley in the face and to really rub it in, Jimmy Ryan scores the 7th goal in our 7-4 defeat away at Accrington Stanley - ever since that match I have always dreaded Iain Williamson's name as referee for Gillingham games and tomorrow is no exception.

Fingers crossed for a Gillingham win tomorrow because I am still nervously looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone as Gillingham have played more games then the teams around us in the table, and if Gillingham can put six points between ourselves and 21st in League One then the teams in the bottom four will have to win twice to catch up with us - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:08 am

fan_of_mulligan wrote:I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
---------------------------------Pritchard--------------------------------------
-----------McGlashan-----------------------------------Loft------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Marquis----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, McKain, Hessenthaler, Dickenson, Galbraith, Norris

After our 1-1 draw against Walsall on Sunday I don't want to see Doug Loft playing at left back ever again this season, I know Bradley Garmston is weak defensively, but at least he is a left back and Doug Loft needs to be playing in his more natural midfielder position (even though Doug Loft hasn't put in decent / consistent performances for Gillingham this season), the only real selection dilemma we have got is whether we keep Jermaine McGlashan on the bench as a impact sub or keep Jake Hessenthaler in the starting eleven, I thought Jake Hessenthaler looked fatigued on Sunday Evening and he needs a rest, and with three matches in eight days we will need to rotate the squad.

I also think we owe Sheffield United for that awful stoppage time at Bramall Lane last season and the foul on Luke Norris in the build up to there winning goal and hopefully Gillingham score in the ninth minute of stoppage time when only six minutes are shown by the fourth official, but with Iain Williamson as Referee tomorrow then anything can happen, because Iain Williamson was the referee who sent Mark Bentley off when Jimmy Ryan punched Mark Bentley in the face and to really rub it in, Jimmy Ryan scores the 7th goal in our 7-4 defeat away at Accrington Stanley - ever since that match I have always dreaded Iain Williamson's name as referee for Gillingham games and tomorrow is no exception.

Fingers crossed for a Gillingham win tomorrow because I am still nervously looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone as Gillingham have played more games then the teams around us in the table, and if Gillingham can put six points between ourselves and 21st in League One then the teams in the bottom four will have to win twice to catch up with us - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!

I like your Team FOM,but I think Hessenthaler will start.I think he needs a rest though as he looks a bit tired recently.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:29 am

I'd be surprised if Jake isn't played, he plays the unfortunate role of defensive midfield which people often criticize whoever plays there and for whatever club, his job is to protect the defence when the full backs are pushing forward, he isn't supposed to push forward and leave the centre backs exposed, he isn't supposed to be creative, he's just supposed to be safe.
I think the midfield diamond has been working well in the last few weeks and hope JE doesn't change this style, reading the Newport forums he might well go with a 5 -3 - 2 system with long ball tactics (they offer neck braces for any Gills fan who wants one) but today at least the Go4 should still be in charge.
Sheffield are the first of 5 top 6 sides that we have to face in the next 5 or 6 weeks, if we can get 9 points from this little section (up to 17th March) we should be safe by the end of the season.

Gillingham 2 Sheffield 1 would do nicely.
baronnight

Postby baronnight » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 am

fan_of_mulligan wrote:fingers crossed for a Gillingham win tomorrow because I am still nervously looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone as Gillingham have played more games then the teams around us in the table, and if Gillingham can put six points between ourselves and 21st in League One then the teams in the bottom four will have to win twice to catch up with us - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!

I agree with you FOM, the trouble today is that at least 2 of the teams below us are guaranteed points.

Yeovil v Crawley.
Colchester v Crewe.

I guess a draw in each game would suit us.
baronnight

Sheff Utd (H) - 7 Feb 15

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 am

Despite only being ahead at half time twice in the league, Utd have scored the first goal 11 times and are unbeaten when doing so (winning 9).

The Gills have conceded first 16 times in the league whilst Utd have 14 times. Both sides recovered to win 2 and draw 4 at full time.

After 9 wins from their first 16 League 1 games, Sheffield Utd then went without a win in 6. They have won 2 of their last 3 but have lost both their last 2 away.

Sheffield Utd are 12 places higher in 6th but have scored 4 fewer goals than the Gills albeit having played 3 fewer matches.

The Gills have lost the last 3 at home to Utd and 4 of the last 5 (the other being a draw) scoring 2 goals and conceding 9 in the process.

Home and away the Gills have only won once against Sheffield Utd in 11 attempts since they completed a double over them in the 2000 / 01 season.

Before today 18 goals had been scored in the last 10 minutes of Sheffield Utd's league matches, more than in the opening 50 minutes in total!

Only Crewe and Crawley have been ahead for less time in away league games than Sheffield Utd (ahead for only 133 minutes before today). On average they lead in away games for only 11.1 minutes.

The Gills are looking for their first clean sheet in the league since Walsall at home back in September. We are 19 league games without one.

Sheffield Utd are the joint top scorers for goals in the final 10 minutes of league games with 13 before today. 2 of those gave Utd the win against the Gills back in September.

3:00
Kick-Off

3:48
Half-time: 0-0

4:17
Cody McDonald thumps the cross bar with a volley in the penalty area.

4:47
GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Sheffield Utd: McGlashan

4:53
GOAL! Gillingham 2-0 MK Dons: McDonald

4:54
Full-time: 2-0

The Gills beat the side in 6th to go 17th and 7 points clear of the drop zone.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Fantastic result ,one of the games I was really worried about, congratulations GFC ,don't know how we did it, don't care.
Who needs a new manager we've got FOUR great ones....................what, who, Eddy who, Eddy Burrer,who's he ??
gillsfan1066

Postby shoutingman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:35 pm

It was marvellous Chicago. Once again, thoroughly deserved. Cody also rattled the crossbar with a volley from near the edge of the box. Justin Edinburgh announced as new manager and watched from the stands. Note to Justin: "Don't change anything............"
shoutingman

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:22 pm

baronnight wrote:
fan_of_mulligan wrote:fingers crossed for a Gillingham win tomorrow because I am still nervously looking over my shoulder at the relegation zone as Gillingham have played more games then the teams around us in the table, and if Gillingham can put six points between ourselves and 21st in League One then the teams in the bottom four will have to win twice to catch up with us - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!

I agree with you FOM, the trouble today is that at least 2 of the teams below us are guaranteed points.

Yeovil v Crawley.
Colchester v Crewe.

I guess a draw in each game would suit us.

Good thing we got the win today and moved seven points clear of the relegation zone because Gillingham are going to need that points buffer with the run of fixtures we have got coming up in the next few weeks.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:38 pm

I only saw the result,what a great surprise it was to see we had won 2-0 and kept a clean sheet.I would have been happy with a point,so to get all three points is pleasing.Reading comments elsewhere it seems McGlashan changed the game when he came on and he got the first goal.Cody getting the killer second and his 59th for the club.A great day for us in naming Edinburgh as our new manager,the three points,and continuing our unbeaten run.We must thank the gang of four for the stablity and results they got us while we were waiting to name our new manager.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Next

Return to Match Discussions