Walsall (A) - 1 Feb 15

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Walsall v Gillingham-Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 pm

After Thursday`s 1-1 draw at Bristol City in the JPT Area-Final,we`re back on the road this time at Walsall for a Sunday evening game.Walsall will be happy going into this game after securing their place in the JPT Final,and now they`re heading to Wembley for the first time in their history.Hopefully they`re still in party mood and we can nick the win.Recently the results at Walsall for us have been draws,and I would be happy with that again if offered.Again credit to any fan that is travelling to Walsall on a Sunday evening game,and hopefully they`re rewarded.If we can play anywhere near like we did against Bristol City,then we have a good chance.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: Walsall v Gillingham-Match Thread

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 pm

I'll be there but its hardly travelling - probably no more than 20 mins
CadburyMan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:11 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
---------------------------------Pritchard--------------------------------------
----------Hessenthaler----------------------------------Loft------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Marquis----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, Martin, McGlashan, Dickenson, Galbraith, Norris

I think we will go back to our 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation now that John Marquis is available for selection as he was cup-tied for The Bristol City Game, Joe Martin hobbled off injured late on Thursday Night and although I do think he will be named on the bench I don't think he be fit enough to start with Bradley Garmston likely to start at left back, and Jermaine McGlashan will probably be named on the bench tomorrow and we will look to bring McGlashan on with 20 - 25 minutes remaining so that McGlashan can use his pace to run at tiring defenders.

A Draw away at Walsall would be a good result, but after our performance at Bristol City on Thursday I think we can go into any league game home or away and feel confidant that we can get something out of the game, because Bristol City are the best team and the best squad in League One, and to go to Ashton Gate and draw away from home is an incredible achievement, I do think with the fixtures we have got coming up in February that Gillingham can do with a win tomorrow just so that we open a wider gap between ourselves and the relegation zone - a tough match tomorrow but one I believe we can win - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Walsall (A) - 1 Feb 15

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Draws only account for 19.6% of the results between the clubs (Gills have won 45, lost 41 and drawn 21) but the last 5 results have all ended level (3 0-0s).

6 of Walsall's league games finished 0-0 this season (a quarter of the League 1 total of 24) and they have kept 11 clean sheets in League 1 this season.

Walsall have seen 54 goals in their league games this season, the fewest in the division whilst the Gills matches have seen 78 (joint 3rd highest).

The Gills last won away at Walsall in September 1992. After 14 subsequent attempts the Gills saw 9 defeats, only 5 draws and 8 goals scored.

Walsall have conceded 10 goals in their last 3 home games, the same number as their previous 15 home league games.

After a 1-1 draw at Sheffield Utd, Walsall had one of the best defensive records in League 1 but have lost their last 3 home games since conceding 4 in 2.

Walsall have lost 3 times in 12 league games, all in their most recent home matches.

From Walsall's 26 league games blank or clean sheets have occurred 21 times but just 11 times in the Gills 27 league matches.

We have earned 31 points after 27 league games, 1 fewer than last season but have scored exactly the same number of goals and conceded 2 fewer.

Tom Bradshaw is the top scorer with 15 goals from just 25 appearances however he has only managed 1 goal in his last 5 games.

6:00
Kick-Off

6:48
Half-time: 0-0

7:24
Walsall brought 130 fans to Priestfield in September, currently the lowest number of away fans. It was 2.4% of the gate, we have 4.5% today (178 fans).

7:28
GOAL! Walsall 0-1 Gillingham: Dack.
Walsall conceded first in 8 of their 14 home league games, previously winning 1 and losing 5.

7:33
GOAL! Walsall 1-1 Gillingham.

7:53
FULL-TIME: 1-1
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:03 am

fan_of_mulligan wrote:I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
---------------------------------Pritchard--------------------------------------
----------Hessenthaler----------------------------------Loft------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Marquis----------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, Martin, McGlashan, Dickenson, Galbraith, Norris

I think we will go back to our 4.4.2 diamond midfield formation now that John Marquis is available for selection as he was cup-tied for The Bristol City Game, Joe Martin hobbled off injured late on Thursday Night and although I do think he will be named on the bench I don't think he be fit enough to start with Bradley Garmston likely to start at left back, and Jermaine McGlashan will probably be named on the bench tomorrow and we will look to bring McGlashan on with 20 - 25 minutes remaining so that McGlashan can use his pace to run at tiring defenders.

A Draw away at Walsall would be a good result, but after our performance at Bristol City on Thursday I think we can go into any league game home or away and feel confidant that we can get something out of the game, because Bristol City are the best team and the best squad in League One, and to go to Ashton Gate and draw away from home is an incredible achievement, I do think with the fixtures we have got coming up in February that Gillingham can do with a win tomorrow just so that we open a wider gap between ourselves and the relegation zone - a tough match tomorrow but one I believe we can win - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin limped off the pitch,and was seen leaving on crutches so I think he will be out for weeks.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby baronnight » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:46 am

I thought Egan had stacked up 5 yellow cards and would be out for this game, unfortunately I'm still trying to find confirmation of this.

Computer dinosaur but I'll get there.
baronnight

Postby Kezz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am

Updates please Mr Cadburyman xx
Kezz

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Think we struggled a bit in the first half and were fortunate in having Stuart Nelson - made some great saves. Looked much better after the break and deservedly went ahead; great composure from Dack. Blatant foul on Cody was not given which could have put us two up and probably out of sight. Equaliser came from another awful decision and was sonewhat scrappy. All in all a draw was fair to both sides
Last edited by CadburyMan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Great to see you back on here Kezz!! 2 wins and a draw now, unbeaten in 4 and carry on like that and I don't think we will have too much trouble.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Was a tad disappointed for Jake Hessenthaller - looked quite nervous and his confidence/adventure seemed to sap as the game went on.
CadburyMan

Next

Return to Match Discussions