Bristol City (A, Cup) - 29 Jan 15

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Bristol City v Gillingham - JPT Area Final, 2nd Leg (4-2)

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:23 pm

I won`t be going,I ticked Bristol City off last season so I am looking to tick off new away grounds now.Apparently we have sold around 80 Tickets according to one fan,credit to any fan that makes the trip.

I think we will go there to attack Bristol City as that has been our tactic since the caretaker four have taken over,also we`re 4-2 down on aggregate and will look to get an early goal.My fear is that our aggregate score will be something like 8-3 which would not be nice.I will be watching on Sky and hoping we can at least make it interesting.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: Bristol City v Gillingham - JPT Area Final, 2nd Leg (4-2

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm

As I don't have SKY on My TV I am hoping to find somewhere which does have SKY on there TV or find a way of getting SKY Sports One on a free trial basis as I have not changed my mind about going and The Second Leg being on TV makes it easier for me to miss the match and watch the game live on SKY Sports One Instead.

As for the strength of the starting eleven, I would go for it because the prize on offer and the dream of playing in The Football League Trophy Final at Wembley Stadium is still a live (even if our chances of progressing to The Football League Trophy Final are very very slim), if we can score early then we might just give Bristol City something to worry about, but even though I can see Gillingham scoring I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet so we will need at least three goals away at Ashton Gate, just to take the match to a penalty shoot-out.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/forwards-vying-to-replace-marquis-30859/

Gillingham will need to replace in-form loan striker John Marquis for their Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie, The 22-year-old is cup-tied for Gills’ area final trip to Bristol City after appearing for Cheltenham earlier on in the competition.

This means that Luke Norris and Brennan Dickenson will be vying for the spot alongside Cody McDonald.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby baronnight » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 pm

I think you've said it all FOM the first goal is crucial, if we score it's game on, if they score it's game over.
baronnight

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spor ... lls-30862/ Andy Hessenthaler hopes Gills can be inspired from Bradford`s 2-4 win at Chelsea for Tonight`s game at Bristol City.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/spor ... -it-30926/ And Steve Lovell says we will give it a real good go Tonight.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:51 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

----------------------------------Nelson--------------------------------------
Hoyte----------------Egan-------------------Ehmer-----------------Garmston
---------------------------------Pritchard--------------------------------------
----------Hessenthaler----------------------------------Loft------------------
-----------------------------------Dack----------------------------------------
--------------------McDonald--------------Dickenson-------------------------

Subs: G.Morris (GK), Legge, McGlashan, Webster, Norris

The only change I can see Gillingham making to the starting eleven will be Brennan Dickenson in for John Marquis (as John Marquis is cup-tied), both Joe Martin and Leon Legge looked short of match fitness against Tonbridge Angels and I would stick with the same defence that started the game against Oldham Athletic at the weekend - even though I am less then impressed with Max Ehmer and Bradley Garmston down the left side of our defence.

I will keep Jermaine McGlashan on the bench so he can give us an injection of pace in the final 20 - 25 minutes of the game, especially if there is only one goal between Bristol City and Gillingham in the tie, while Charlie Webster is traveling down with the first team tonight and either Charlie Webster is traveling down to experience what it is like traveling to a first team away game (similar to what Martin Allen used to do with our younger players), or Charlie Webster will be named among the substitutes tonight, I have gone with the latter and think Charlie Webster will be on the bench.

First goal is crucial tonight, if Bristol City score first then the tie is effectively over, but if Gillingham score first then the tie is alive and we will give Bristol City something to think about.

I hope we can do what Sheffield United did last night and score two quick-fire goals to level the tie and put superior opponents on the back-foot - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Bristol City (A, Cup) - 29 Jan 15

Postby Garawa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Since beating Bristol City away in 2012, we will have faced each other 8 times in just 2 seasons. This is only the 2nd game in 7 at Ashton Gate.

Bristol City are unbeaten in 6 against the Gills and have won the last 4 and 5 of the last 6.

The Gills have played 8 cup games so far. The 4 at home saw 3 defeats and a win however the 4 away have seen 3 wins and a draw.

The Gills have managed to score in 9 of the last 10 matches against Bristol City.

The late 90's saw Bristol City fail to score in 5 successive games against the Gills. The 12 since saw only 3 blank sheets occurred, 2 for the Gills.

All of Matt Smith's 9 goals in 12 games for City came in his middle 5 matches with 6 of those goals coming at Priestfield against the Gills.

7:45
Kick-Off

8:02
GOAL! Bristol City 1-0 Gillingham.

8:17
GOAL! Bristol City 1-1 Gillingham: McGlashan

8:22
Bristol City hit the woodwork for the second time.

8:40
FULL-TIME: 1-1

The Gills miss out on Wembley by losing the area final 5-3 on aggregate.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:09 am

That was a performance we can all be proud of, we were the better team for much of the game and the likes of Egan, Dack, Mcglashan, Mcdonald can all be threats if given enough encouragement to go forward. I don't think Hoyte and Hess are anything other than journeyman but you can't fault them for effort. Equally the back four do look very vulnerable but they tightened up second half.

It was interesting that the Sky team chose to make some comparisons between the two Chairman; ours - bought the club for a pound, lives in Dubai tries to see all the games, even if its on TV; theirs - ambition to get Premiership status, expanding the ground to 27,000 capacity, spends money but wisely.

That will never change at GFC under the current regime but on the pitch there was a lot to be optimistic about last night.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm

I will be the first to admit I hated the managing by committee bit, but there doing a great job ,so big hand for them. I think they have shown just how out of touch Taylor was, and I am at the stage where I hope Scally doesn't bring a manager in to cock things up, a complete 180 on my part from my thoughts of two or three weeks ago.
Hate the month of February,who ever gave us this schedule deserves a good kick in the pants, but I think if we can pick up at least a point from Sundays game GFC can go into the next few games feeling a bit more confident, and I think we stay up without to many problems ,he says typing with crossed fingers.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:46 pm

I thought it was a really good performance by us,we attacked them and there was a period where they couldn`t get out of their half as we kept the pressure on.The goal we conceded was disappointing because Smith had two opportunities to score which he did the second time of asking.Our response to their goal was positive and we got our rewards when Dacks expert pass cut through their defence for McGlashan to run on and finish.He got injured when scoring,but luckily he was able to run it off.We had some momentum and Loft`s shot was tipped away well by Fielding.We kept looking to score in the second half McGlashan`s curled shot tipped away by Fielding.Nelson made a couple of decent saves to keep it close,but it wasn`t to be for us.We left ourselves a mountain to climb after the first leg,but I was pleased and proud with our performance in front of the cameras.We could have rolled over,but we kept going until the end.Matt Smith really was the difference over the two legs,it could have been so different if we learnt to deal with him,but well done to Bristol City on reaching the Final.

McGlashan was the pick of the bunch for me,he caused City problems all night and showed why he deserved to start.Pritchard looked decent and is growing in confidence,and Dack assisting the goal and making things happen was good to see.The downsides were Egan now being suspended for Walsall away,and Martin going off and leaving on crutches.We`re unbeaten in three games in all competitions,and hopefully we take the confidence into Sunday now.

Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 pm

It was interesting that the Sky team chose to make some comparisons between the two Chairman; ours - bought the club for a pound, lives in Dubai tries to see all the games, even if its on TV; theirs - ambition to get Premiership status, expanding the ground to 27,000 capacity, spends money but wisely.

You missed out a key bit though. They said he was a billionaire who refuses to bankroll the club and only spends some money "wisely" when necessary. He didn't bail them out when they were close to relegation and they went down so all in all, we all know Scally doesn't have billions in the bank, there is little difference between them!

This match summed up our season. Again I go back to earlier matches I said we played well in. Last night we had less of the ball, less shots at goal, slightly fewer corners but I feel much the better team. We could have easily won 3-2 and play like that for the rest of the season and we will safe (and would beat Walsall Sunday). Plenty of times we have been the better side and it not backed up by the stats. The only difference recently is that we are attacking instead of trying not to concede. Again I have said most of the season we have the players who can attack and cause damage. I hope the new manager doesn't put a stop to that as we get sucked back into the old way of things again.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Next

Return to Match Discussions